What's new

Managing your sound design library

Great article! The auto-tagging seems like a neat feature.

Like @timprebble, I'm on Soundminer Pro for the batch metadata and VST rack.

How good is the auto-assign key and BPM?
Does it work it out base on audio, or does it look for existing data?

I use SoundMiner Pro - deep metadata support & also has a thesaurus built in.... my personal sound library has over 500k sounds (not counting Kontakt libraries) so SoundMiner is crucial

https://store.soundminer.com

This one looks like a real workhorse. I see it recommended quite often.

EDIT: Oh, and it's $900 too... whereas LoopCloud is free, so there's that!

Last edited:
Great article! The auto-tagging seems like a neat feature.

Like @timprebble, I'm on Soundminer Pro for the batch metadata and VST rack.

How good is the auto-assign key and BPM?
Does it work it out base on audio, or does it look for existing data?

It analyzes the audio files (takes a bit of time), not only the metadata. The BPM is sometimes off, especially for the loops not in 4/4. They key is sometimes funky too but I'd say it's around 80% accurate. When having thousands of samples, it's a great starting point.

re "LoopCloud is free"

Nothing is ever free per se, as with FB if the product is free then you are whats for sale (ie your data and/or your role as a potential customer for what they do sell)

its also worth noting a sound library is for life, not short term. For me, SoundMiner has paid for itself many, many times over... I appreciate the upfront cost is hefty, but managing a huge database of sounds so you can work efficiently in a professional sense is worth a lot. I dont remember exactly when I first got SoundMiner but it would be over a decade ago, so the impact on workflow (& the tax write off) means it cost me less than nothing.

Top Bottom