What's new

Managing and Creating your own Sample Library

Andrasia

Hi There,

I wanted to know what was your workflow to organize your own sample library.
'Cause I'm a bit lost, from year I collected sound that I've record or modified heavily .
Usually I make them on the go when a project (mostly Trailer Music) need them (directly in the project session usually)

But For year I never really organize them (Their are just in the project folder where I create them, in wav) So usually I start from scratch every time!

And now I'm trying to turn the best into Kontakt Instrument so I can use them more easilly for next project, or when the inspiration doesnt kick in^^

I read some great inside from Charlie Clouser and I love how those sound can create a kind of Composer Sonic Universe .

But I'm kind of stuck for labelling and organize stuff so I wanted to know if you have some tips to help like naming convention advice or Worflow tips? Do you heavily separe stuff into category?

Cheers From France and Thanks!

I use a sound library app, Sound Miner Pro
https://store.soundminer.com

That way I don't need to spend time organising my library on hard drives, it just accumulates chronologically on a Sonology NAS and I can find anything instantly using search terms (SoundMiner has a thesaurus built in) and can audition, tag metadata, sort/group material, manipulate it and transfer it directly to ProTools timeline (with the files transferred to my local work RAID)

Search is instant with 500k+ files...

I have seperate databases in Soundminer so I can search based on projects etc...
eg All sound FX, All Ambiences, Project based, ex recording session, etc etc

Basehead is another similar option:
https://baseheadinc.com

Thanks,
I've checked soundminer but not basehead!
But anyway I think I'm gonna stay on simpler folder organization, so I'm sure it will ""always"" be compatible and usable in the futur! Also I'm using reaper and there is a media explorer/datatabase stuff that's not so bad!

Now I just need to know if I put that distorted ebow pad into "pad" category or into "Guitar/Ebow/Designed" Haha^^ ;)

The problem with manually organising is that it doesn't scale...
The future is metadata

Hi There,

I wanted to know what was your workflow to organize your own sample library.
'Cause I'm a bit lost, from year I collected sound that I've record or modified heavily .
Usually I make them on the go when a project (mostly Trailer Music) need them (directly in the project session usually)

But For year I never really organize them (Their are just in the project folder where I create them, in wav) So usually I start from scratch every time!

And now I'm trying to turn the best into Kontakt Instrument so I can use them more easilly for next project, or when the inspiration doesnt kick in^^

I read some great inside from Charlie Clouser and I love how those sound can create a kind of Composer Sonic Universe .

But I'm kind of stuck for labelling and organize stuff so I wanted to know if you have some tips to help like naming convention advice or Worflow tips? Do you heavily separe stuff into category?

Cheers From France and Thanks!

Hello, would you be able to share your sounds with me? I would like to see if I could use them to create Trailer music. Thanks

Hi,
Thank you for your interest.

But Im not interested in sharing them for now, I think it kind of important to have your own sound for trailer music ( and for other style too I guess) especially sound signature etc.

Cheers,

Hi,
Thank you for your interest.

But Im not interested in sharing them for now, I think it kind of important to have your own sound for trailer music ( and for other style too I guess) especially sound signature etc.

Cheers,

Right, so just give me some sounds please. I know you don't use everything you have created. Give me the ones you dislike.

As I sais earlier Im not interested into share sound for now.
Sound that I really dislike and have no purpose, I just doesn't save them.

Cheers,

Top Bottom