What's new

Maleventum - War Horns - DEAL EXTENDED:33% Off + 50% Off other libraries

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your feedback and insights, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions, I definitely value them as a precious contribution to further improvements!

I'll try to summarise here why I didn't add the original raw sounds and why I decided to opt for a more designed sound.
When I amassed an insane amount of raw recordings, I realised that those sounds alone didn't manage to create that epic, intimidating horn sounds I was aiming to. I'll do an example: if you picture in your mind the character of a big, bad, terrifying viking warrior, the horn sound you immediately associate to the character is something deep, profound and huge. It becomes a sonic attribution you instinctively associate to the scene, it's a sort of emanation of the character himself and the context in which he'll be likely located.
Well, when you listen to the completely dry sounds, especially those from smaller instruments, there's a sort of mismatch between the actual timbre and that instinctive sonic expectation you have if you think to an ancient warrior. Here's why I found myself in front of a choice: staying 100% faithful to the original sounds or recreating what I thought a viking horn sound should be in a cinematic context. I opted for the second :) Hence the layering and the processing (although some reverbs are actual acoustic ones, they've been recorded in big warehouses or stairs of a building, like in this video). For example, many of those low horn stabs have been obtained by layering the original instruments with other self-built ones, that sounded a bit cacophonous alone, but in a layered mix they added that rawness, sort of animalesque quality that I was seeking.

But of course I absolutely see your point about the flexibility of having the raw sounds as well, ironically I did this in some previous releases, but in that case the quality of the original sounds themselves stood on its own. Or maybe I just got so obsessed with the horn sound snapshot I had in my mind to not being able to recognise the value of the dry sounds (happens a lot to lose a bit of perspective when you are too focused on achieving exactly the final result you want).
As a final note, I'll say that the high pitched squeals are basically the same as the originals.

Once again, thanks for your insights, like Justin suggested I'll definitely consider to do a selection of the raw sounds and use it as a future upgrade :)

Giuseppe - I sent an email via the website, but you can answer here, or if anyone else can help, that would be appreciated.

I bought Maleventum during the intro sale, but I can't seem to load any of the snapshots, which I know means that they're not where Kontakt expects them to be. The folder is named "MALEVENTUM Snapshots (COPY TO KONTAKT DIRECTORY)", but I don't know where that is on a Mac. I've tried ~/Documents/Kontakt/ (where some presets for other libraries needed to be copied to), but that didn't seem to do the trick. I have the one-shots set up and working - they sound amazing - but no luck with the snapshots thus far.

Thanks for any hints!

Hi rnb_2, I am not at my music pc and I am not on a mac but you can do this from inside kontakt too.

Click on the "wrench" button, then on "instrument options". Then "snapshots" and "show". Then an empty directory is opened. Then you can just copy all whats inside that "copy to kontakt directory" directly from the brwoser into that opened folder. Close everything, go back to the normal kontakt view and the snapshots should be there. If you get stuck somewhere I am sure you will find a more detailed installation description for that way in here or google but should work.

@KarlHeinz - thanks, that did the trick! Appreciate it - now I've added a little bit more to my very small pool of knowledge about Kontakt...

Giuseppe - I sent an email via the website, but you can answer here, or if anyone else can help, that would be appreciated.

I bought Maleventum during the intro sale, but I can't seem to load any of the snapshots, which I know means that they're not where Kontakt expects them to be. The folder is named "MALEVENTUM Snapshots (COPY TO KONTAKT DIRECTORY)", but I don't know where that is on a Mac. I've tried ~/Documents/Kontakt/ (where some presets for other libraries needed to be copied to), but that didn't seem to do the trick. I have the one-shots set up and working - they sound amazing - but no luck with the snapshots thus far.

Thanks for any hints!
Hi Rick, just replied to your message few minutes ago :) Glad that you managed to solve it, and thanks to @KarlHeinz . Btw, some of you might be interested to this quick workaround to fix snapshots problems in Kontakt

Hi everyone, thanks a lot for your feedback and insights, I really appreciate your comments and suggestions, I definitely value them as a precious contribution to further improvements!

I'll try to summarise here why I didn't add the original raw sounds and why I decided to opt for a more designed sound.
When I amassed an insane amount of raw recordings, I realised that those sounds alone didn't manage to create that epic, intimidating horn sounds I was aiming to. I'll do an example: if you picture in your mind the character of a big, bad, terrifying viking warrior, the horn sound you immediately associate to the character is something deep, profound and huge. It becomes a sonic attribution you instinctively associate to the scene, it's a sort of emanation of the character himself and the context in which he'll be likely located.
Well, when you listen to the completely dry sounds, especially those from smaller instruments, there's a sort of mismatch between the actual timbre and that instinctive sonic expectation you have if you think to an ancient warrior. Here's why I found myself in front of a choice: staying 100% faithful to the original sounds or recreating what I thought a viking horn sound should be in a cinematic context. I opted for the second :) Hence the layering and the processing (although some reverbs are actual acoustic ones, they've been recorded in big warehouses or stairs of a building, like in this video). For example, many of those low horn stabs have been obtained by layering the original instruments with other self-built ones, that sounded a bit cacophonous alone, but in a layered mix they added that rawness, sort of animalesque quality that I was seeking.

But of course I absolutely see your point about the flexibility of having the raw sounds as well, ironically I did this in some previous releases, but in that case the quality of the original sounds themselves stood on its own. Or maybe I just got so obsessed with the horn sound snapshot I had in my mind to not being able to recognise the value of the dry sounds (happens a lot to lose a bit of perspective when you are too focused on achieving exactly the final result you want).
As a final note, I'll say that the high pitched squeals are basically the same as the originals.

Once again, thanks for your insights, like Justin suggested I'll definitely consider to do a selection of the raw sounds and use it as a future upgrade :)

You're the man Giuseppe!
Thanks for explaining, I'm sure you had your reasoning, and a vision behind the choice.
The instrument is already great as it is, and that would be simply the extra cherry on top.
Looking forward for the future update, and especially new animalesque products! :)

You're the man Giuseppe!
Thanks for explaining, I'm sure you had your reasoning, and a vision behind the choice.
The instrument is already great as it is, and that would be simply the extra cherry on top.
Looking forward for the future update, and especially new animalesque products! :)
thanks a lot! There's a new one I'll be releasing soon, then there'll be a new major one in early 2021 which I think fits the 'animalesque' realm :P

I wouldn't hesitate! Thanks so much for explaining too. (Hope I don't sound to complainy btw...) This library's great OOTB, currently using it in a horror brief and it's just what some of these cues needed. Maximum evil. :emoji_imp:

I wouldn't hesitate! Thanks so much for explaining too. (Hope I don't sound to complainy btw...) This library's great OOTB, currently using it in a horror brief and it's just what some of these cues needed. Maximum evil. :emoji_imp:
hey Justin, not 'complainy' at all, this feedback is gold to me as I tend to do everything in my own bubble, so adding a fresh perspective is much needed! ;) Btw, really looking forward to hear what you're going to do with those horns!

Downloading this as I type. I can't believe I hadn't heard of SoS until two or three days ago. I love using Ethera 2.5 and the Cyberworld expansion, and this sounds just as good from the videos I have watched. As a nice bonus I picked up the freebies Electrolyte and Ambiosis too.

This is great stuff.

Downloading this as I type. I can't believe I hadn't heard of SoS until two or three days ago. I love using Ethera 2.5 and the Cyberworld expansion, and this sounds just as good from the videos I have watched. As a nice bonus I picked up the freebies Electrolyte and Ambiosis too.

This is great stuff.
thanks a lot, never too late ;)

I noticed the sale is still on for Maleventum. Does anyone know if it the sale will continue through November? I am still deciding on what to buy this month with a budget.

I noticed the sale is still on for Maleventum. Does anyone know if it the sale will continue through November? I am still deciding on what to buy this month with a budget.
Hi, tomorrow will be the very last day of sale for Maleventum. We'll also release a new library so as soon it's online, the deal for Maleventum will be removed :)

Hi, tomorrow will be the very last day of sale for Maleventum. We'll also release a new library so as soon it's online, the deal for Maleventum will be removed :)
I see. Is there by any chance, you can share a sneak peak of what the new library will be? =) Or what kind of sounds. I know you mentioned also an animalesque one in 2021.

Good morning everyone! Just a friendly reminder that you can purchase Maleventum and add our other horror libraries (except Mystery Box) at half price. Just scroll the checkout page and you can find the additional half priced libs on the right side.

For those of you who have already bought Maleventum, please send your invoice at [email protected] and I'll provide links to the half price libraries. Here's a walkthrough of Maleventum by Dirk Ehlert:

Maleventum is wickedly fun!
I have one question: is it possible to locate/edit that specific sample that gets added when "boost" gets activated? I'd like to take out the percussive hit in the beginning but leave the rest for atmosphere... is that possible?

Maleventum is wickedly fun!
I have one question: is it possible to locate/edit that specific sample that gets added when "boost" gets activated? I'd like to take out the percussive hit in the beginning but leave the rest for atmosphere... is that possible?
Hey there, thanks a lot! You can use the boom sounds which are activated when the boost button is on, however you need to do that outside of Kontakt. In the Sound Design Instruments folder, just browse the sample folder and locate the '06_Boom_Low End Impacts' subfolder. All the boom sfx are there :)

Hello everyone! Really glad to announce that Maleventum made it in the Best Virtual Instruments of 2020 on Sample Library review in the category "Best Woodwind Instruments". Schermata 2020-12-19 alle 12.30.15.png

Also, a reminder of our December Deal: by purchasing Maleventum you can add other libraries at half price. If you have already purchased it and want to add the half priced libraries, please get in touch at [email protected] and I'll provide the links :)

Have a great weekend!

Top Bottom