What's new

Making Generative Music In Reaper

A number of possibilities but you haven't answered how you want an lfo to modulate the other lfo so idk
i dont understand what the issue is - one lfo modulates the other lfo in whatever way is available - say the frequency or the phase or the shape or the amplitude - whatever. n Eriks video he shows the reaper LFO parameter modulation. How would I modulate the LFO speed (just one example) with another LFO?

i dont understand what the issue is - one lfo modulates the other lfo in whatever way is available - say the frequency or the phase or the shape or the amplitude - whatever. n Eriks video he shows the reaper LFO parameter modulation. How would I modulate the LFO speed (just one example) with another LFO?

Hmm honestly if I'm going to create something that worbly I'd probably use a single midi lfo plugin and modulate it's parameters that way, then I could put lfos on any/all of it's controls, and use the midi generated to control whatever parameters.

I can make a video if needed, even though I've never done this, wouldn't be difficult -abliet it's a creative solution rather than the simplest, but that's a poor way to view it, as if you're trying to modulate a parameter with an lfo that's being modulated by another lfo, simple is history

Hmm honestly if I'm going to create something that worbly I'd probably use a single midi lfo plugin and modulate it's parameters that way, then I could put lfos on any/all of it's controls, and use the midi generated to control whatever parameters.

I can make a video if needed, even though I've never done this, wouldn't be difficult -abliet it's a creative solution rather than the simplest, but that's a poor way to view it, as if you're trying to modulate a parameter with an lfo that's being modulated by another lfo, simple is history
Really easy in Bitwig and the result is visualised and easy to comprehend

Really easy in Bitwig and the result is visualised and easy to comprehend
Okay, anybody with above a room temperature IQ can figure it out, so I'm not sure easier matters here

In any use case that this matters, the sound design in the intricacy of what you're making is exactly part of the appeal, so making it's slightly easier doesn't have a significant impact.

There's nothing difficult for complicated about reaper modulation, It just comes with less flashy graphics

I just did this real quick, just to show you about a billion things being modulated by each other.

I can go more in depth but I'm currently working ~72 hours a week, I'm getting off a 12 hour shift, and I can't remember my last day off - so I'm barely functioning as an adult.

I just did this real quick, just to show you about a billion things being modulated by each other.

I can go more in depth but I'm currently working ~72 hours a week, I'm getting off a 12 hour shift, and I can't remember my last day off - so I'm barely functioning as an adult.

Thanks for going to that effort. Again, reminds me why I only use Reaper for audio editing now. Very clunky compared to the more coherent designed softwares. But works, so that is good.

Last edited:
Thanks for going to that effort. Again, reminds me why I only use Reaper for audio editing now. Very clunky compared to the more coherent designed softwares. But works, so that is good.
Yeah I think it really comes down to preference and what you know.
Bitwig is great I'm sure, but I've already tried learning new DAWs in the past and I think I personally just prefer reaper, and it may be partly because it's what I started with.
Thanks for the bitwig info though.

Erik - Thank you so much for this video. It's very thoughtful.

I'm learning Reaper after many years of owning it but shying away from it - largely because the amount of options and customization were intimidating. Videos like this are really appreciated because it helps me to "wrap my head" around a different way of creating the types of pieces I make in Bitwig or Live. That by itself is valuable because it forces me to see things in a different way.

The technique is solid and can be applied in other DAWs (like Studio One) with some modifications also.

I just wanted to say thanks.

Cheers

Top Bottom