What's new

Making Generative Music In Reaper

I've heard of those mediums. I haven't been able to use them myself. I've been using Reaper for about 7 years now so I guess it's all I know :)

Nice piece in the end but reminds me why I left Reaper for Bitwig and S1 to make generative music.
would you mind to expound on this a bit? just curious as i like making generative music but do most of it with reaktor blocks or hardware modular. i just switched to studio one and am liking it a lot. i dont like it as much as cubase but its the best option i have tried that doesnt need a dongle.

Bitwig's Grid is a generative dream-maker.
Search out Polarity Music or TÂCHES TEACHES on you tube.
They both have several videos on how to make generative devices.
It's BRILLIANT.

To the original poster: I don't use Reaper, but this video was really informative and quite enjoyable. Thanks!

would you mind to expound on this a bit? just curious as i like making generative music but do most of it with reaktor blocks or hardware modular. i just switched to studio one and am liking it a lot. i dont like it as much as cubase but its the best option i have tried that doesnt need a dongle.
Bitwig is made for generative music, the modulation etc get better and better the more you use them and start to understand the flexibilty. . S1 also has an excellent coherent design and setting up targets for modulation is pretty good. But you need midi devices to modulate and S1 is not as comprehensive as Bitwig out of the box. But both are vastly better than Reaper in terms of coherent design and, certainly for me, stability with vsts like Kontakt.
And of course modulating synths is very good as well. Lately i have been using soniclab stuuf. Difficult but worth unde standing

Last edited:
Nice piece in the end but reminds me why I left Reaper for Bitwig and S1 to make generative music.
Thanks!
There's far more I did not show here which is possible with using a combination of midi tools, so I'd be interested to know exactly how these other platforms are better.
I'm guessing there's more visual feedback to what you're doing? Stuff like that?

Bitwig's Grid is a generative dream-maker.
Search out Polarity Music or TÂCHES TEACHES on you tube.
They both have several videos on how to make generative devices.
It's BRILLIANT.

To the original poster: I don't use Reaper, but this video was really informative and quite enjoyable. Thanks!
Hey thanks! Glad you got something out of it.

I watched this video and actually found this somewhat limiting (at least ostensibly). Can you load virtual instruments (or just the default sounds in Grid?). I like being able to use pianos, strings, and pretty much anything I want. I've watched videos by Bitwig themselves and I'm still seeing only the synth sounds within grid being used as well.

So far I'm seeing just a different way of doing things, and a different workflow. Some things are just semantics and some things are visualized differently, even if you're technically doing the same things.
So if Reaper forces you to think in a way you don't like, then it's probably not for you lol
I've just been using it for so long I like the way it works. There may even be generative tools made for reaper that I don't even know about as well. I'm pretty new to generative music creation - even if I've been a fan of Eno since I was a teen.

I guess all I care about is the end product and whatever helps me acheive the sound I want ;)

I really need to use Reaktor more.

I'm also curious what reaper can't do that these other daws can.

Reaper can get pretty silly in general, and extensions just add to the silliness that reaper can do - fwiw.

On the most basic level at any price point bitwig has built in modulation inside each plugin instance that is very easy to use and has a lot of options.

Modulating parameters in reaper is extremely powerful and can even control parameters between plugins and from external inputs.

If you really wanted to get fancy with it you could also just make a midi lane. There's absolutely nothing shown that isn't achievable with reaper in it's base state.

IMHO it's much easier to say what another daw can do than can't do, because you never know if the DAW has that functionality.

Sorry I should edit my post a bit more to reflect that I was just tying to say that the way bitwig does it is very easy and part of the immediate interface. And as you said before, I did not know reaper did this and no one had ever told me it did. Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry I should edit my post a bit more to reflect that I was just tying to say that the way bitwig does it is very easy and part of the immediate interface. And as you said before, I did not know reaper did this and no one had ever told me it did. Thanks for the heads up.
Well like most things are the reaper, sometimes it can be a little more complicated but that extra complication almost always results in more flexibility and power.

That said, it's typically as easy as right click and it'll show the parameter modulation menu.

I had a pretty wild example on twitch but they don't keep clips that long so I can't really link it

I like how visual Bitwig is but the update model stops me from being more than interested in it.

Last edited:
I like how visual Bitwig is but the update modal stops me from being more than interested in it.
The strategy apparently is to buy an update when on sale and activate it later on when you feel it is worth it. Apparently you can bank updates I have not had to do that yet

Modulating parameters in reaper is extremely powerful and can even control parameters between plugins and from external inputs.

If you really wanted to get fancy with it you could also just make a midi lane. There's absolutely nothing shown that isn't achievable with reaper in it's base state.

IMHO it's much easier to say what another daw can do than can't do, because you never know if the DAW has that functionality.
How would you set an lfo to modulate a parameter then modulate that lfo with another lfo that is also modulating some other parameters as well?

How would you set an lfo to modulate a parameter then modulate that lfo with another lfo that is also modulating some other parameters as well?
Pretty sure you can do that in Reaper. I am still learning things myself. But modulation in general is something that I'm new to regardless of DAW, so I wouldn't be the best person to answer this.
I like how visual Bitwig is but the update model stops me from being more than interested in it.
I personally like when I get less visual feedback sometimes. I feel more like I'm trying to make the sound work, and not depending on the visuals. I guess it makes me think of one time when Debussy composed a piece of music without his piano

He did have the sheet music as a "visual" but I guess I was just thinking of less feedback in general as the example. You kind of approach things differently. Not necessarily better though. A way to change things up.

Top Bottom