What's new

Majetone AC08 - an acoustic 808

Majetone

Hi everyone, I'm pleased to release my new instrument (on 808 day no less!)

The AC-08 an acoustic recreation of the classic drum machine.

Now, obviously this doesn't sound like a drum machine any more than a drum machine sounds like an acoustic kit, but I wanted to make something that is similar in timbre to the 808 - small snares, tuned kick drums, tight hihats, dry cymbals, toms almost like synths - and all of the percussion bits on an 808 as well, the more I dug into the idea, the more I enjoyed it! There's some good control on the GUI as well over pitch and envelope allowing you to shape the sounds further and multiple room mic options.

Anyway, I'm very happy with how it's come out!

It's available now for Kontakt 5.8.1+ (full version) at Majetone.com for an intro price of £25 until (31/08/21) (regular price of £35)

Thanks for checking it out!

James

Is there a Press Roll?
Great idea and love the sounds.

Tuned Press Rolls is something I’ve always wanted without having to spend time editing. Rather be able to play grooves to keep the ideas flowing.

Is there a Press Roll?
Great idea and love the sounds.

Tuned Press Rolls is something I’ve always wanted without having to spend time editing. Rather be able to play grooves to keep the ideas flowing.
No sorry! thanks for the kind words :)

Ha, that's a really cool idea. The snares especially really are very evocative of 808 snares in classic hip-hop, only organic. I've messed with repitching ringy tuned kicks to make 808 basses, and that kinda sorta worked, but retuning the actual kick to record each note is much more "proper" and sounds really good.

Next: acoustic LinnDrum with velocity layers and round robins?

Ha, that's a really cool idea. The snares especially really are very evocative of 808 snares in classic hip-hop, only organic. I've messed with repitching ringy tuned kicks to make 808 basses, and that kinda sorta worked, but retuning the actual kick to record each note is much more "proper" and sounds really good.

Next: acoustic LinnDrum with velocity layers and round robins?
Thanks very much, it was the kick that kind of started it - I had this weird drum that just didn't sit right anywhere so I got a bunch of heads and experimented - one of them was like 'hhhmmmm that's kind of 808ish....'

I've definitely thought about Linn Drums or DMX - that detuned sound (Prince!!), I believe the original is actually Jim Keltner sampled by Roger Nichols? - I may be blending together sampling mythology there with the Wendel. Totally possible to do, I wonder if anyone knows what drums Jim used.... The quest begins!

Yeah, recreating the 808 you have to find drums that sound alike (and just the right cowbell for the phonk scene) pretty blindly. Recreating an old sample-based drum machine it might be possible to dig up information about the drummer, studio and room, which should speed up the process of finding a soundalike. Nailing those classic snares but with more organic realism and mic mix options would be oddly sureal.

Bought this last week. One small request, if possible... can the kick section be self-muting and monophonic? That way when playing an 808 bassline, you wouldn't have the previous notes' tail still ringing. This would work more like how 808s used as basses usually do.

Bought this last week. One small request, if possible... can the kick section be self-muting and monophonic? That way when playing an 808 bassline, you wouldn't have the previous notes' tail still ringing. This would work more like how 808s used as basses usually do.
That should be possible yes, I'll add it on to an update :)

A couple of days left to get the AC08 at the intro price of £25 (regular £35) - Until 31.8.21

I've been obsessed this week with The Knife's 'Tooth for an Eye' so I thought I'd remake it. :)

If anyone's considering this, I've just released an extra instrument as a freebie - The ACx8

In recording the initial instrument I recorded a lot of different drums to get the 'timbre' of the 808, the drums featured here are extra samples. The demo features just the instrument and inbuilt controls.

Check out more at https://Majetone.com/acx8 (Majetone.com/acx8)

Top Bottom