What's new

Mac users: Are you using OS X El Capitan with your sample libraries?

Mac users: Are you using OS X El Capitan with your sample libraries?

• Yes

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Vik

Vi-k
Are you using OS X El Capitan with your sample libraries/Mac DAWs?
Is it as "safe" as using Yosemite (10.5.5)? Do you recommend it?

ETA: Which problems (that could be caused ve El C.) do you have, if any?

Last edited:
I upgraded about a month ago to el cap. Ive not had any problems, until this latest version of Logic has introduced a few annoying bugs, but not with any of the sample libraries.

Just updated a few weeks back - all is well with everything I've got; TONS of Kontakt-based stuff, EW Play, Spectrasonics, Native Insts., UA Apollo and all their plugs, etc. As above, just a few annoying things with Logic but I can't tell is that's Logic's fault or El Cap. Everything runs better in El Cap though - finally starting to feel like a Mac again circa 2006 ;)

For me, LPX and El Capitan have been a series of symbiotic updates that have made it increasingly more robust in terms of distribution of processing (evenly now to all cores), and overall responsiveness, a below-mentioned graphics glitch aside (which may also be 5k iMac related as well).

Since two have now mentioned "annoying" issues with respect to LPX and any recent updates in conjunction with El Capitan, I'm wondering if a spin off thread to list specifics might shed some more light? I also recently posted a graphics anomaly that I've observed since late last Fall, but which has gotten little input so far.

Are you using OS X El Capitan with your sample libraries/Mac DAWs?
Is it as "safe" as using Yosemite (10.5.5.)? Do you recommend it?

I upgraded actually by accident ... since I wasn't aware of all the reported problems until after I did it. It is safe in the sense that all the DAWs I have tried worked.

I have one annoying issue with LPX that it won't open after it was closed once unless I logoff. It started with El Capitan and it wasn't like that before. Other than some real minor issues I don't remember at the moment it works just fine. If I get it to open it is very stable.
Studio One became a bit more unstable for me ... but I use it pretty seldom anyway, so that one doesn't bother me at all.
Pro Tools works just fine.
The problems with Bitwig got ironed out after a few updates ... should be fine now.
Mixbus3 works, too.

I've had some issues with my Izotope stuff but that got ironed out now.

Sample players did not have any problems (NI Kontakt, Play, ARIA) all worked fine (even though NI warned about El Capitan).
I have not had any problems.

So ... for me everything works just fine here.

Works fine so far with my samples/daw, however, the only other issue of note was having to d/l an older version of Java to work with Adobe software.

Ive not had any problems, until this latest version of Logic has introduced a few annoying bugs
just a few annoying things with Logic but I can't tell is that's Logic's fault or El Cap
What are these problems... anyone? I wonder if they are caused by El Capitan, or if these problems occur with Logic under earlier OS X versions as well.

Last edited:
I haven't upgraded, but it's not because of a problem with any sample libraries, but rather a few 3rd party Audio Units plugins that (from what I can gather) don't work under El Capitan for at least some people. (Kong Legacy Collection, to be specific.)

Is anyone who upgraded having problems with slate digital plugins?

All my other software and hardware are compatible, just waiting to upgrade.

What are these problems... anyone? I wonder if they are caused by El Capitan, or if these problems occur with Logic under earlier OS X versions as well.
this thread may have some information. I mentioned some of the bugs I have had here. Nothing showstopping, still worth considering the upgrade because of performance improvements. Most of these bugs I think were more about logic 10.2.1 than el cap.

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/logic-10-2-1-bugs.51681/#post-3936860

El Capitan and Logic 10.2.1 and latest Kontakt and a sh!tload of libraries seems fine so far here. Having some problems with a NanoKontrol2 controller surface (discussed in another thread, hopefully will be addressed in a Logic update) but aside from that all seems well.

Top Bottom