What's new

Mac Pro with 2 SSD's (Need Advice/Help)

toddkedwards

Todd K. Edwards
I have a quick question about upgrading my 2010 Mac Pro (Quad-core) to two 240GB SSD drives. I currently have 32GB Ram in the system.

Here are the two SSD's I am going to be putting into the system:
  1. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SATA240SSD (Are these any good?)
I wanted to know if I should use one of these drives for my OS or use both of them to store my libraries on?

Here are my main used libraries:
  1. Cinesamples (CinePerc Core, CineWinds Core, CineStrings Core, CineBrass Core & Pro and VOXOS)
  2. Albion One, Legacy, and II
  3. HZ01
I would just like a little help to determine on how I should use these two SSD drives, to gain the best performance with my system.

Thanks,

Todd

Last edited:
... I think the answer is to switch everything to SSDs as soon as you can. So it makes sense to put the system on one of your 240gb drives now.
Buying such "small" SSDs for sample libs is probably a false economy. Buy another 1TB SSD for all your samples and use the other 240gb for projects. The link doesn't work but you will find lots of votes for Crucial and Samsung (850 evo) SSDs.

... I think the answer is to switch everything to SSDs as soon as you can. So it makes sense to put the system on one of your 240gb drives now.
Buying such "small" SSDs for sample libs is probably a false economy. Buy another 1TB SSD for all your samples and use the other 240gb for projects. The link doesn't work but you will find lots of votes for Crucial and Samsung (850 evo) SSDs.

@mc_deli Thanks for the advice. I'll look into those two SSDs. I went ahead a got the two 240GB ones. They are Intel (535 series). I should have did more research, because these drives do not have good write speeds. Also, my Mac Pro can only handle Sata 2, so I am pretty limited with speeds.

Top Bottom