What's new

Mac Pro trash can USERS

fraz

Hi,

There must be quite a few Mac Pro trash can users here! - Have you enjoyed your trash can Mac Pro's?

I've read lots of mixed reviews and opinions about them - but seriously how have your experiences been?

danbo

I have one and am happy with it. It's silent, I've never spun the fans unless I really tried with a stress test and even then it's quiet. Power usage is ridiculous, 12-20W idling, I leave it on all the time. It does mean you need a lot of thunderbolt accessories so the overall cost of ownership is higher, but it's OK. That also means you can push the drives off to a silent box too so it's good for studio work. The small size works really well in my studio.

Disappointments:
  • SSD is special, I've tried the OWC one to upgrade but it twerked the computer for unknown reason
  • CPU was an older one on release and it's not upgradable
  • Only supports 64GB RAM maximum
  • GPU options are fixed and non upgradable. Can ONLY access the second GPU via special programming because of the hardware routing, so basically it's useless. Few applications use the OpenCL necessary for using the dual GPU.

OP
F

fraz

I know there will be a new Mac Pro soon but I'd like to ask about the late 2013 models.

8 core - 3.0 GHz 8 Core Xeon E5-1680v2
12 core -2.7 GHz 12 Core Xeon E5-2697v2

8 core benchmark
--------------------
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=2342

12 core benchmark
----------------------
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/[email protected]+2.70GHz&id=2009

There doesn't seem to be a big difference in the score despite having 4 extra cores albeit clocked 300 Mhz lower. I couldn't find a versus comparison.

What is the real world difference between the two Mac Pro's late 2013? - eg how much better is it over the 8 core?

EDIT- I found the answer here
https://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/11/estimating-mac-pro-performance/

Last edited:

Sami

The Undisclosing
the vader helmet mac pro supports 128GB across the line

Are these any good for running a 128gb ram template without a slave? They are basically a steal at this point and the 10-core cpus are cheap to find and easy to swap in

tmhuud

Brown Belt
I have 2 helmets rack mounted. I put 4tb drives in them myself and those things scream. I almost wish I had more sample libraries in those drives but most of the samples live in the 3 magic docks. Swapping processors is not for the faint of heart but with patience you can do it. The processor swaps we did on our cheese graters was a tad easier. Read up on the proper procedure for applying thermal paste! There’s a lot of theories out there on what’s right and what’s wrong.

OP
F

fraz

I must apologize for not being well in on the Mac lingo - :faint: - The Vader helmet (this can't be the trash can can it? as it only supports 64 GB RAM and not 128 GB. The new iMac Pro? (the vader helmet)?

dcoscina

Great thread especially because I’m looking to get one of these off lease as my 3,1 MP is dying a slow death

jonnybutter

My vader works very well. I hesitated a lot before getting it because it seemed expensive for a 5+ year old machine, but am glad now. It's a 6 core w/64 GB of RAM. It's quiet and powerful. I have a slave mac connected via VEP, but I find I don't have to turn it on much of the time. I use the Blackmagic dock. Can't complain.

OP
F

fraz

That's what I have. No problems with it.
OK so the 4 x 32 GB just "pops in" is this correct? - eg no other modification needed?

You lot are real hardcore, sometimes on forums there are no replies, not here!

hawpri

OK so the 4 x 32 GB just "pops in" is this correct? - eg no other modification needed?

You lot are real hardcore, sometimes on forums there are no replies, not here!
Yep, it was a normal RAM upgrade with no other steps. After putting them in I turned it on and (thankfully!) it worked.

mikeh-375

old school
I too have the OWC 128Gb ram. in my helmet (pardon...)Bus speed goes down with this config, but I can run a 35 minute Logic Pro piece that uses about 110Gb before it starts to get a bit shirty, all off ssd's and a Blackmagic Dock.
There was an issue with the AMD Firepro D300 card that caused freezing and as far as I know, there still is as I am suffering from it occasionally. I believe Apple supplied a fix for the other two cards that are available for the tower - the D500+700 - but for some reason , not the D300! Anyone know any different, please pm me.

Wunderhorn

It is doing its job in my studio but by now the trashcan is pretty outdated. Most software companies never supported the second built-in graphic card including most Adobe applications, so that is a dead component for which we had to pay...
I never liked the fact that you have no internal slots for HDs or even SSDs. Cable mess was guaranteed and it did not get prettier over the years..
Luckily the fan is relatively quiet, but other PC workstation manufacturers have already proven that with proper heat sinks, you don't need to have a fan in a tower machine at all which for making music I would definitely prefer.
Still, in terms of expandability and flexibility it still is the better choice against any iMac in my opinion (E.g. I want to choose my own screen etc).
I am really in need of a much faster machine, so I will see if Apple can deliver next year. If not, I will have to get a Windows workstation (After 25 years working with Apple computers, what a shame...)

charlieclouser

I have two of the Mac Pro cylinders - a 6-core for ProTools (HD Native Thunderbolt+Avid MADI+SyncHD) and a 12-core for Logic (MOTU AVB 112d+1248, two MultiDocks, UAD2 Octo Thunderbolt, 4k display, etc.).

They are silent. Zero issues in three years. Raw CPU power is not a massive leap over my previous 12-core silver towers, but I wanted 4k displays, Thunderbolt, HDMI, and all that other good stuff. Cable mess is no worse than before - on my silver towers all slots+bays were full so if I wanted more storage I had to use FireWire, so I just ran up against the limits of what those systems could do. The old rig, with two silver towers with PTHD3 on one and Logic+MOTU PCIe on the other, was housed in a refrigerator-sized soundproof rack. The new rig is two six-space racks with the cylinders on top, and the whole thing fits on my Argosy Dual-15k behind the displays. No more long DVI cables, USB extenders, etc. Much better.

I'd buy them again in a minute - but I am anxious to see what the next revision will be. I'm sure I'll buy into those as well.

babylonwaves

There was an issue with the AMD Firepro D300 card that caused freezing and as far as I know, there still is as I am suffering from it occasionally. I believe Apple supplied a fix for the other two cards that are available for the tower - the D500+700 - but for some reason , not the D300! Anyone know any different, please pm me.
I have a 300. can you describe in which context which component (or the entire OS?) freezes? permanently or for a while? because I don't have freezes as far as I can see.

Top Bottom