What's new

Mac Pro Memory upgrade to 128GB

tmhuud

Brown Belt
Might get one for the kitchen too. If you look carefully at the sides it actually looks like you CAN grate cheese with it.

Form factor kind of reminds me of the “Lost in Space” pod.

Lee Blaske

Don't get too excited. I just read estimates that a fully loaded system will price out at around $50,000-$60,000. ;)

This looks like an amazing machine, but it really seems targeted to the high-end video market. I know I don't need a 1.4 kilowatt power supply, or that industrial construction. I also don't need that many PCIe slots. I've currently got two 12 core trash cans, and I'm not really taxing those.

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/03/maxed-out-mac-pro-cost-estimate/

Lee Blaske

Hey guys,

Has anyone noticed improvement in their Daw performance when upgrading from 64GB to 128 GB on a Mac Pro? Any unexpected benefits?

Thanks,

Bill
FWIW, how big are the sessions you're currently loading? Are you at all close to using 64GB of memory? If not, no sense in adding more. Interestingly, with SSDs, we don't need to load so much into memory anymore.

Gargantuan templates are nice, but they kind of bog you down and are slow to load. And, it always seems to me that the bigger the template, the greater the possibility of a crash.

holywilly

Having 128GB of ram is beneficial to both orchestral template and mixing sessions. You'll have enough headroom for other apps runs in the background and for kernel. At least for me, running smoothly of VEP, Cubase and Pro Tools Ultimate at the same time, on my only quad-core Mac Pro 6,1.

Wunderhorn

No, not in my case with the 2013 Mac Pro. It was overall a huge improvement!

More RAM doesn't really improve performance (at least not for our workloads, RAM speeds don't really matter that much, if at all). It expands on how many things you can load, but that's about it.

Wunderhorn

Probably because the computer had to write to swap files on the drive much less. :)
No, i had 64GB before and did not fill it to the max with samples. Possible swap data went to other SSDs via Thunderbolt.
Without dissecting technical details the real world experience is that of a noticeable smoother operation. Therefore I dare say moving to 128GB was worth it.

EvilDragon

KSP Wizard
I went from 16 GB to 64 GB and there was no such difference... Same RAM modules, same frequencies etc. Just more of it.

jbuhler

I went from 16 GB to 64 GB and there was no such difference... Same RAM modules, same frequencies etc. Just more of it.
Going from 16GB to 32GB made a big difference for me. From 32GB to 64GB felt like just more of it—also a benefit but less noticeable. I suspect that there was a lot more need for swapping at 16GB.

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
Hey guys,

Has anyone noticed improvement in their Daw performance when upgrading from 64GB to 128 GB on a Mac Pro? Any unexpected benefits?

Thanks,

Bill
DAW and other apps also use ram. so if you have ram for samples and load big templates then not only the ram for samples will be load but also leave some wiggle room for apps to use the extra ram. but its a lot so depends. but i was contemplating the same, the 128gb kits for the mac pro 5,1 is at a good price. like $300-400.

zircon_st

Lead Developer
If there's a proven difference in system speed simply upgrading RAM, it would be pretty groundbreaking. There are test labs running system benchmarks 24/7 for this kind of stuff and I've never heard of RAM somehow making the system faster, if you weren't already hitting (near) max capacity. It doesn't make sense in terms of how memory access works.

There may be a psychological effect at play here (the system feels faster, but is not actually faster), or coincidence (maybe during your upgrade, you changed application/system settings), or the system was actually using more RAM than you thought it was previously (inaccurate or misleading info from task managers).

Michael Antrum

Only the good die young....
DAW and other apps also use ram. so if you have ram for samples and load big templates then not only the ram for samples will be load but also leave some wiggle room for apps to use the extra ram. but its a lot so depends. but i was contemplating the same, the 128gb kits for the mac pro 5,1 is at a good price. like $300-400.
I saw them at $170 on eBay.

Dewdman42

$170 is a bargain. I paid $400 not that long ago.

I saw absolutely no change in performance between 64gb and 128gb.

Top Bottom