What's new

Mac mini - what happens when hard drive fails?

SomeGuy

Seeing as how I wont be able to afford a Mac Pro, I’m looking at the mini’s. I read the RAM can be user upgradeable, which will hopefully save $$$, but it looks like the Hard drives are soldered to the motherboard, which means no user replacement. So the question is, what happens when your system drive fails in one of these machines?

On my current 2009 Mac Pro I have my system drive cloned, so if it dies, I just swap it out and continue to work. I take it this is no longer possible?

EvilDragon

KSP Wizard
Yeah you'd have to send in the machine so they swap the motherboard. Can probably kiss your data goodbye because once SSDs fail, they fail hard. Thankfully they're more durable on average than HDDs.

rudi

If you are looking at the 2018 model, the RAM upgrade process doesn't look that user friendly according to this tutorial / teardown...

jtnyc

If you are looking at the 2018 model, the RAM upgrade process doesn't look that user friendly according to this tutorial / teardown...

Yeah, I know someone who did it. He said it was very hairy and didn't work the first time. He took it all apart a second time and resat the ram and then it was fine.

It's a shame Apple charges 1k for 64 gigs of ram when you can get the same from OWC for $480. That is a huge difference.

Top Bottom