[Mac] - any way to monitor specific drive activity?

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
Hey Guys,

I have an SSD in an external FW800 enclosure for one of my slaves (an iMac). It runs about 128 Kontakt instruments inside VE Pro.

I've noticed that even at idle, that drive's indicator shows little bursts of random activity (about a second each time), maybe once every minute or so. I haven't timed it but it doesn't seem totally consistent. Since that drive is dedicated just to sample libraries, it shouldn't be accessed at all other than when samples are being played, no?

I do have that drive listed in Spotlight's "privacy" tab so it's not being indexed, and journaling is off so I can't imagine what it's doing. It shouldn't be a big deal, but since it's an SSD I don't want it being written to all the time.

So, anybody know a way to monitor the FW bus and/or find out what exactly is happening with this particular drive?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

p.s. I have 8 GB RAM in this iMac and even with all 128 Kontakt insts loaded I have about 4 GB free - there are no page outs/swap files whatsoever...

Nick Batzdorf

Activity Monitor can monitor individual drives one at a time.

If you select the drive in the Finder and Get Info (File menu, or command-I), you can change the permissions so nobody can write to it.

OP
whinecellar

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
Thanks Nick, already doing those options - looking for more details or a timestamped log for each I/O. I looked in Console as well since that records a lot of stuff, but didn't see anything there...