What's new

M-Audio Hammer 88 Pro

Bought another MIDI cable from Amazon. Plugged it in, and I have been in heaven for the last 10 minutes. This combined with Pianoteq feels incredible.

(Have never had a weighted MIDI keyboard before).

Thank you for all your help. I'm off to butcher some very simple Grade 1 piano pieces!
I’m glad. Have fun.

Bought another MIDI cable from Amazon. Plugged it in, and I have been in heaven for the last 10 minutes. This combined with Pianoteq feels incredible.

(Have never had a weighted MIDI keyboard before).

Thank you for all your help. I'm off to butcher some very simple Grade 1 piano pieces!
And since the H88 is a pretty basic board in that it doesn't have very much you can edit/tweak on it, you should be fine never needing to connect to it over USB.

ENJOY!

And since the H88 is a pretty basic board in that it doesn't have very much you can edit/tweak on it, you should be fine never needing to connect to it over USB.

ENJOY!
Right, exactly! I bought it so that I can practise piano while I'm taking short breaks from work. It'll just be there next to me, connected to pianoteq. When a particularly boring zoom call happens at work, I can listen in and play at the same time!

When considering a new midi keyboard don't overlook 2nd hand synths like the old Roland Fantom G8 I use as my midi controller. All I had to do was modify the driver so it works with Windows 10. Has everything I need, CC faders/knobs, aftertouch adjustment, the lot. The weighted keys make it just like playing a real piano. I've looked at new midi controllers but they don't offer anything additional and most offer less control and poorer quality keybeds. My credit card is grateful!.

While we're here, what do you all put your controllers on?

I can't have it on a desk. Will need some kind of (cheap but durable) stand.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

While we're here, what do you all put your controllers on?

I can't have it on a desk. Will need some kind of (cheap but durable) stand.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
I am about to order a Hammer 88 PRO, and I am going to put it on the keyboard shelf of this custom design workstation from mgeardesign.ca

Jamie at mgeardesign.ca does have a number of workstation designs that will work, and you can have him tweak designs if you like. You get favorable conversion rates from US dollars to Canadian, so that helps because shipping is pricey :)

There is a 6-8 week lead time for custom work. Not sure about his designs in terms of time until shipping. You pay half up front, and half when the thing is ready to ship.

He will probably assemble it, send you pics, then break it down, flat pack it in boxes, send you pdf instructions *basically all the 1 sticker piece go together, 2 stickers together, etc).

You need a Robertson #2 Screwdriver and a very short Roberton #2 (or some kind of short ratchet with a square number 2 bit) to put the wood pieces together. Kind of an IKEA moment there.

I pad 1200 for this custom design, but shipping via UPS was 400 bucks.

If you need the unit/shelf to be wider or something, they will do that. I made my unit deeper, and had monitor stands replaced with a monitor bridge with 3, 3U racks instead. The unit is deeper to allow for a rail-mounted server chasis with server rails running from front to back rack rails. I also requested square hole rack rails so I could put cage nuts in (don't like the idea of rack rails getting threads stripped). My custom unit took about 6 weeks.

1660706433730.png

I am about to order a Hammer 88 PRO, and I am going to put it on the keyboard shelf of this custom design workstation from mgeardesign.ca

Jamie at mgeardesign.ca does have a number of workstation designs that will work, and you can have him tweak designs if you like. You get favorable conversion rates from US dollars to Canadian, so that helps because shipping is pricey :)

There is a 6-8 week lead time for custom work. Not sure about his designs in terms of time until shipping. You pay half up front, and half when the thing is ready to ship.

He will probably assemble it, send you pics, then break it down, flat pack it in boxes, send you pdf instructions *basically all the 1 sticker piece go together, 2 stickers together, etc).

You need a Robertson #2 Screwdriver and a very short Roberton #2 (or some kind of short ratchet with a square number 2 bit) to put the wood pieces together. Kind of an IKEA moment there.

I pad 1200 for this custom design, but shipping via UPS was 400 bucks.

If you need the unit/shelf to be wider or something, they will do that. I made my unit deeper, and had monitor stands replaced with a monitor bridge with 3, 3U racks instead. The unit is deeper to allow for a rail-mounted server chasis with server rails running from front to back rack rails. I also requested square hole rack rails so I could put cage nuts in (don't like the idea of rack rails getting threads stripped). My custom unit took about 6 weeks.

1660706433730.png
That looks beautiful! Currently saving up for pacific strings and a new computer so the budget would have to go that way.

Hilariously, had the controller perched on a couple of boxes until recently haha.

If you ever get sick of your setup and want to donate it to charity, ping me and I'll give it to a guy in need for you 😂

Well, got the new controller, and now it makes me want a triple pedal and pianoteq because now that is possible.

Attachments

• studio1.GIF
    studio1.GIF
    200 KB · Views: 30
Anybody who gets this keyboard, don't leave it on. One night, the screen saver failed to activate and now I have the words MOD WHEEL permanently burnt in to the display. Power this thing off when it is not being used. I wish there was a warning about that - I had no idea this type of display could even burn in.

Anybody who gets this keyboard, don't leave it on. One night, the screen saver failed to activate and now I have the words MOD WHEEL permanently burnt in to the display. Power this thing off when it is not being used. I wish there was a warning about that - I had no idea this type of display could even burn in.
For my part I don't have this model
but an Arturia 88 MKII
On the other hand, my keyboard is connected so that it turns off as soon as I put my computer to sleep.
This avoids this kind of unpleasant surprise

Damn! Sorry to hear that mate. I have the older model with no screen. Annoyingly I have to switch it off at the wall or pull the wire out because mine doesn't have an on-off button on the keyboard.

Top Bottom