1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mélancolie française

Discussion in 'Member's Compositions' started by MOMA, Sep 10, 2018.

1. MOMA

MOMA Active Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Harakiri in b minor. Posting this is perhaps not only a mistake and rushed, but also an invite to those who really like to tell you how things should be done.
    But that is in fact the general idea. C´mon and tell me.
    "Mélancolie française" has been known as "test template 4 - CSSS" so yes this is an exercise, and will be for some time forward.
    All help is welcomed and tips and tricks will not only be appreciated but also used to enhance the quality of the piece.
    Best to you all
    MOMA

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. Patrick9152

Patrick9152 Patrick from France

Oct 23, 2017
    France
    Very nice mélody !.Beautiful violin, very romantic, may more legatos,pershaps ?.

3. OP
    OP
    MOMA

MOMA Active Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Thanks Patrick! Great to hear from you, and yes its a romantic piece (with nothing holding back:) I used the Joshua Bell, and I do know I don't do it justice yet. But as I said this is a work in progress and I must practice to handle the arrangement better. Yet again, thanks for listening in!

MOMA

4. JEPA

JEPA Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Germany
    nice work. i have the impression that some notes of the violin that apparently are panned in the center go off to the right in the spectrum. Specially high pitch and high velocity notes go to the right? is it a flaw in the Joshu Bell VI? For the long notes of the violin at the beginning i would automate a modulation up and dawn so that the steady seems more natural. The room contrast in my opinion between orchestra and solo violin could be a little improved, i feel the orchestra too far back, but almost that is a taste thing. Good job by the composition! Keep doing!

5. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Yes some nice melody and harmony. I agree with JEPA about modulating the long violin notes (volume and vibrato) - but also, and this might be a function of youtube, I am not hearing enough dynamic contrast in general. I know the instrumentation is changing in density but I think that could be more pronounced to increase the emotion further

JEPA likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    MOMA

MOMA Active Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Thank you JEPA! This is the kind of comments I was hoping for – relevance and insights. The JB Violin is not all that easy to control, and there seem to be something going on with the samples when listening to the stereo image. This can be handled by rendering in mono, and then add the general reverb. I will look into that.
    The automation is not fluent enough and will be in for a makeover. There is, however, also issues that comes with the master and the pretty squashed mp3 format. (but then again, thats something to take into account doing the mix) This goes for the distance between the violin and the rest of the orchestra as well – a new mix is to be done coming weekend.

Thanks yet again for relevant and positive comments

Best to you from Stockholm

MOMA

JEPA and gregh like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    MOMA

MOMA Active Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Thank you for your comment and I do appreciate you listening in. And its true, there is much to learn when it comes to mastering and the effect of changing format from waw to mp3. The pros handle this, but I have a bit to go. I will have a new go at the JB Violin and make a new mix – with the end result beyond the waw in mind. See if I can improve the dynamics and balance of the instruments.

Many thanks for your thoughts and direction, I will be back with a new master soon.

Best to you from a sunny Stockholm

MOMA

8. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    A pleasure MOMA - I am in sub-tropical Brisbane, it is the beginning of Spring and a lovely day but the sun is just setting and it begins to be chilly. 21C, falling to 13C tonight. I need to put a jumper on

:)

[the downside to beautiful autumn, winter and early spring is that for about 5 months of the year it is incredibly hot and the sun is like a knife to the skin]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    MOMA

MOMA Active Member

Apr 19, 2018
    Well we´re headed for a chilly autumn – and then back into the winter:) But then again, this summer was amazing with sunny weather from may to september. (Not the best motivation to enter the dark studio)

Take care and keep up the great work you do!

MOMA