What's new

Lyle Murphy Books

For those asking about MITA, it is run by 2 EIS graduates and there is some EIS in it but they have branched out and mostly do their own thing.
Thanks you for the civil answere to my question, which others obviously consider a sacrilege to ask!
So, all I want is to give my final feedback, wether it interests you or not is of course entirely to you.
I will probably never study EIS in the form it is currently presented. The reason is quite simply that it seems to be less dependent on the method, by what I read, but rather a one on one teaching. I can see, that this is of course something with great potential benefits. However, it is entirely dependent on the individual teacher. From checking out the teachers, there seems to be quite a big gap in the abilitities between the individual composers listed as teachers (no names from me either, to keep it civil, but I can't leave that part out without being untruthful ...)!
Apart from that, 100$ per hour seems way to expensive to me, considering that you are generally expected to take one lesson per week regularly. Maybe you can settle with three per month, I am not sure! But even if I have to take only two a month, the time I have to spend extra to be able to afford that seems not worth it to me. Better spend that time in self study and score reading.
So, while I am totally not convinced by the EIS thing as it is currently offered, I am curious as anybody about the method and would probably buy a book on it.
I can live without that book, though! It looks very much unlikely any of this is gonna change, so, the curiosity is always fed by something you cannot have. I suppose I would be very disappointed when I found it out ... anyway, I will stop posting, as it is indeed starting to get a pointless thread. Arguments start repeating ...

Just so you know, though weekly lessons are suggested to keep momentum going (those on 2 week plans are likely to stop from experience) there is no forced lesson schedule. One student did the entire course in under 3 yrs, another David Blumberg was proud that he did it in seventeen! Life and work of course take precedence and some take when they can. Also many people get through say Book VI and go, that's enough.

I do not see how our experiences are similar, yet alone the same thing. I got all the answers I needed.

Of course you have to take private lessons to learn EIS. That's how it is done. That is no secret.

If they could teach it in an hour I expect they'd charge quite a bit for that hour<G>!

i took a few lessons with david blumberg (i think?. he lived in pacific palisades and passed away, its been a while)

i had the books and the way that theory was approach was interesting. i dont think i would of understood things if i just saw the books since its similar to jazz theory fro berklee but at the samet ime diferent. eis, jazz and classical mostly take you to the same place but in each it helps change styles or ideas.. imo. i was always looking a way to translate what i leanred at berklee and yet it was like a paralel world.
i do think there could be like rick beato sort of main courses where the basics can be descirbed and then have teachers help out, just like any approach. but then again, i only took a few courses.
i did see the potential of composing w/o key signatures interesting, specially for film music.

The whole way of approaching the learning and field seems to me a little restrictive. so much so that imo, since david passed on, and most EIS info is in this forum and themain website, i feel the whole concept will end up here :https://mjt.org/themainpage/main2.html .
just a glass stand with a few pages of EIS with a short description of what EIS was in a forgotten corner of the Venice (LA) museum of jurassic technology.

back when david and spud where doing classes it made sense since many film composers in LA knew about it, and composers where into that. but nowadays i think someone should make video courses for youtube and promote a website to find instructions to learn more about it. at least a main video showcasing the ideas behind it will enable newcomers to try new things, instead of being some random forum post no one has any idea about it and dicarded for the next spitfire labs video.

gsilbers...videos are in the works and yes there is a possibility that the course dies at some point which would be a shame as there is so much useful information in it. We are working on trying to make information more accessible, there is a ways to go though and it is not our area of expertise.

My experience was quite different. I don't wish to put any of the teachers on the spot, so no names! Two different teachers spent at least an hour each with me, on the phone, and while they aren't going to teach EIS in an hour (wouldn't that be lovely) I do believe I understand what it is I would learn, and what they expect of me in terms of time and money.

My life turned upside down a couple years ago, and it hasn't completely settled, and I'm not going to start something to which I can not commit. But I do believe I know enough to make an informed decision, and as I mentioned earlier, I will be studying EIS when time allows.

Well, Bill, FWIW, if you decide EIS is something you like to study, I'm only 30 min away. And, my studio has a couch, and a bunch of 12-15 year scotches. :)

Mike

If it helps I always share the books with people if they come over my place, it is not supposed to be a secret, i just can't give course materials away. Bill I would think Mike would be happy to show you the materials.

If it helps I always share the books with people if they come over my place, it is not supposed to be a secret, i just can't give course materials away. Bill I would think Mike would be happy to show you the materials.

oh, absolutely, if anyone wanted to come to my studio, and hangout, i could show materials, walkthrough some cues i did with eis, etc. Not a problem. and.... the 12 year scotches... :)

gsilbers...videos are in the works and yes there is a possibility that the course dies at some point which would be a shame as there is so much useful information in it. We are working on trying to make information more accessible, there is a ways to go though and it is not our area of expertise.

cool. maybe an EIS teacher can be a guest a in a rick beatos video and see where it goes? im sure he is dying to find more content ideas . EIS would be cool.

oh, absolutely, if anyone wanted to come to my studio, and hangout, i could show materials, walkthrough some cues i did with eis, etc. Not a problem. and.... the 12 year scotches... :)
Why not do it as a video/livestream? Then everyone can get an idea of what it is no-matter where they are.

Vgamer,In the end it is about the music and you can decide whether you like what the students in the course do. Go to the website, that should be enough to stop worthless debate which is a waste of time. Also why don't you use your real name...;). I appreciate when people come in here and try to take down the course, it always fails and it brings more attention to the course, something we would not do on our own...so thank you.

For those asking about MITA, it is run by 2 EIS graduates and there is some EIS in it but they have branched out and mostly do their own thing.

Not mostly, but completely! And also for the records, yes, I graduated from EIS but also studied the traditional Diatonic System at university and with many other instructors! For that reason, we start with the Diatonic approach and go from there by injecting interval theory to create more freedom.

And everything we do, we keep it very transparent on our website and in all conversations. We offer free materials and free lessons from actual courses inside the membership area. Everybody will know exactly what this is all about and what MITA brings to the table:

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:
Actually, I wrote a blog post about my own personal WHY I created MITA in the first place. This might be interesting for some of you, that's why I'm sharing this.
(broken link removed)

One of our CITs (composers in training) was so kind and also publish a report of how he uses MITA techniques. This might also be interesting:
(broken link removed)

Last edited:
Top Bottom