What's new

Love for Windows 10

I could endure Windows up untill they started with Windows Vista, that was it for me.. love win 10? not a chance.. this must be the only thread with that theme on all internets
I love Win10. It is a great OS with high performance, great features and enought freedom to configure it, if you know what to do. Linux distros have more control, but are too complex for my taste and for media work not so great; MacOS on the other hand is too restrictive for me.

I just looked into it and I would recommend not to follow it. There are some major issues with removing so many features of a modern OS. If you know exactly what you do, pick only the parts you are sure you want to remove.

Removing the Defender (the anti-virus / fallback if your anti-virus fails), Edge Browser and/or IE (important dependency for a lot of applications to run correctly), as well as deleting services like
OneSyncSvc (synchronization for mail, contact and calendar), PcaSvc (program compatibility assistent) and other will make your computer vulnerable for malware, or make parts of your system and applications not work.

And we at Microsoft want to thank you for using Windows 10, Mr. Phil Smith of 4567 Elm Street, Cityville, WA, who is currently using his PC to update his PayPal information, just bought eczema cream online, tends to favor using capital letters in his login passwords, and sits a little too low in his computer chair judging by the height of the 4' palm plant in the background.
LOL!! Great analogy...

But really, that stuff can only happen if you leave your car keys in the ashtray, your front door unlocked and a few hundred quid taped to your mailbox. And when ransomware pops up and says "Hi, we're Microsoft, call 1-888-yourestupid and pay us $500" you race to your phone and compete the transaction. I actually had TWO different people insist it really was Microsoft. :rolleyes:

A "no-restrictions" OS comes with responsibility. I get the feeling that the folks on here aren't techno-dorks, so none of that will happen. In 20 years I've had zero issues. Yes, a Mac is more secure in many ways, who on earth wants to write a trojan in Objective-C? :rofl:

I just looked into it and I would recommend not to follow it. There are some major issues with removing so many features of a modern OS. If you know exactly what you do, pick only the parts you are sure you want to remove.

Removing the Defender (the anti-virus / fallback if your anti-virus fails), Edge Browser and/or IE (important dependency for a lot of applications to run correctly), as well as deleting services like
OneSyncSvc (synchronization for mail, contact and calendar), PcaSvc (program compatibility assistent) and other will make your computer vulnerable for malware, or make parts of your system and applications not work.
Right. Defender (which is DIFFERENT than the garbage Defender in Vista) is very lightweight. Also, OneDrive doesn't hog resources like DropBox. I don't install DropBox, use it as online-only. OneDrive is integrated and way more secure, that's my goto cloud storage. I like Edge but THAT is a resource hog. Stick with Chrome but it does get a boatload of paging faults so close it when not using it.

Adobe update services are always hammering away. I disable those and just manually check. Why have something constantly checking for updates that doesn't need it, right?

To Disable:
  • Hold down Windows key and hit R. Up pops the run box.
  • Type msconfig and hit enter
  • A window opens. Click the Services tab.
  • Uncheck Adobe stuff. Probably 4 of them.
  • Click OK and you're done! It will prompt you to restart so do that when you can.

But really, that stuff can only happen if you leave your car keys in the ashtray, your front door unlocked and a few hundred quid taped to your mailbox.

In the past, yes, but nowadays, operating systems like Windows 10, apps, websites, and social media services are configured by default to put our car keys in the ash tray, unlock our front door, and tape our money to the mailbox... all without us knowing. The example I gave in this thread is obviously a satirical overstatement, but anyone who doesn't want Microsoft invading their privacy will need to really dig in and disable a lot of stuff.

The tutorial video below is from a former Microsoft senior software developer who genuinely likes Windows 10, but despises the way Microsoft uses it to spy on people.

I love Windows 10 running via Parallels on my iMac. It runs way better than on any PC hardware I have ever owned. It’s quiet, no cheap shrieking fans, no hardware conflicts, and I can just switch it off and restart it instantly. Plus the whole thing is contained in one file package for backup. I use Windows only for a few software applications that won’t run on my Mac, but seriously, this is the most bulletproof Windows installation I have ever experienced. I don’t find Windows 10 anywhere near as satisfying to use as OSX, but I must admit, a lot of my previous frustrations with Microsoft were likely due to the trash hardware that passes for Windows PCs.

All I will say about my Windows 10 experience is this: I couldn't empty my recycle bin without the computer crashing, no matter which way I tried to do it.

The whole experience was a mess and makes me never want to go back. Problem after problem.

Like dflood mentioned, some of people's issues may be partially due to cheap PC hardware. In fairness, you really can spend as much as you want on a PC but most people won't. If people spent the money (all of the money, not 3/4 or 1/2) they are willing to spend on a high end Mac and on a PC they would have a pretty great machine. They would also need to focus on better parts, not just faster parts, more memory and storage. Good power, good fans, cables etc. Apple certainly makes this much easier as they do the design for you. In many cases we are not comparing like to like.

I know very little about computers so ignore the above ramblings :)

Like dflood mentioned, some of people's issues may be partially due to cheap PC hardware. In fairness, you really can spend as much as you want on a PC but most people won't. If people spent the money (all of the money, not 3/4 or 1/2) they are willing to spend on a high end Mac and on a PC they would have a pretty great machine. They would also need to focus on better parts, not just faster parts, more memory and storage. Good power, good fans, cables etc. Apple certainly makes this much easier as they do the design for you. In many cases we are not comparing like to like.

I know very little about computers so ignore the above ramblings :)

You made this obvious you know very little. People have issues with higher end video cards, audio devices. It's not about the hardware as much as driver support. I have lot's of "cheap" PC hardware and legacy hardware working in W10.

Imo it's important to know where you can buy cheap and where you should not.
Examples:
CPU -> the most expensive CPU is mostly not the best and far from best value
Audio Interface -> Go for a good interface, even if it's expensive.
Graphics Card -> A good graphics driver does not exist! xD

Custom PC with Windows 10 for a couple of years - not a single issue, and I am quite computer savvy (built it, programming (C#) on side))
Macbook pro for a couple of years - not a single issue, and I am quite computer savvy (bought it, programming (Swift) on side))

I can say that I quite enjoy windows 10, could not go back to other versions, but I understand people that are staying with windows 7. These huge shifts happen over years and years. Only recently win10 surpassed win7 in market share.

Ah, a man of culture! I am mainly a c# dev and do music on the side on my custom build pc. So I can relate to most of your post.
Works great excpet the graphics card (gtx 960) goes blue or just freezes my computer from time to time (1-2 times a month).

You made this obvious you know very little. People have issues with higher end video cards, audio devices. It's not about the hardware as much as driver support. I have lot's of "cheap" PC hardware and legacy hardware working in W10.
Good thing I stated it then :)

I use Win 10, macOS and Linux on a daily basis, they're all good for different reasons. Windows has the best programming experience, macOS the best user experience and Linux is the best OS with good programming experience. macOS is unique in that it's the only platform in which you can host (virtualize) all three, and also has the advantage of being POSIX (with a real terminal). Putting it all together, ignoring the limited hardware platforms macOS is the most optimal.

...but anyone who doesn't want Microsoft invading their privacy will need to really dig in and disable a lot of stuff.
You are quite right actually. I was actually referring to forces on the outside, but Microsoft has gotten quite ridiculous now. It all changed with Windows 10. Every time I set up a new PC or reimage one for someone, I sit them down and go through Privacy and several other areas in the Settings to turn off things like, oh, Microsoft capturing your every keystroke.

What really fries me: data collection is either Full or Basic, there's no OFF option. And what's Basic?? They collect 2 less things? The other thing is the big feature updates, like going from 1803 to 1809... the put settings back to default! :mad:

Thanks for the video.

Top Bottom