What's new

Love for Windows 10

An old-timer Mac user here.

I have finally made the switch to DESKTOP PC + Win 10 combo.

Am I weird for LOVING Windows 10? I feel so liberated when working with this platform, I'm highly considering chucking my Mac in the bin and get a Surface or something else.

Has anyone here felt the same way or am I weird? :rofl:

Not me..:shocked:

Ha! This thread may be doomed to end up in the Drama Zone section of the forum!

Right...but actually I just want people to chime in about their experiences rather than going over why Mac is better than PCs or vice-versa. I feel so comfortable with Windows 10 - the fact I can customize it to my liking.

Am I weird for LOVING Windows 10?

And we at Microsoft want to thank you for using Windows 10, Mr. Phil Smith of 4567 Elm Street, Cityville, WA, who is currently using his PC to update his PayPal information, just bought eczema cream online, tends to favor using capital letters in his login passwords, and sits a little too low in his computer chair judging by the height of the 4' palm plant in the background.

Nope I'm still in love with OSX. I am NOT in love with the hardware Apple has been putting out since 2012.

I have one windows10 box here...I use it remotely...I don't love it at all. Its an improvement over older versions of windows no doubt, but a lot of the things that used to drive me crazy about WindowsXP are still there....

In a holding pattern on OS X until I see what Apple does with the MacPro line...5 years out is when I think I will have to make a big decion, Windows12 vs OS X Moonraker.

Windows forever on (3) capable desktop PC(s). Latest v1903 and all is well. Would have tried OSX long ago, but decision to scrap 'mid-range' MAC desktops ended that. Never use laptops, not interested in iMac style, Pro is way pricey for my home studio needs.
OBTW …. tiny bias as career hp guy ;)

Wordy Reply
to say … OP not 'weird' from where I sit !

Last edited:
I feel the same way as sostenuto, though a few years ago I went with a refurbished 2012 MacPro and I'm loving it. They are now quite affordable and what I would consider a midi-range desktop that is quite powerful enough for what we do. But.... all good things will come to an end eventually...and the future hardware from Apple is a complete unknown at this point...so I very well may end up sucking it up and going back to windows in the future...but I'm not looking forward to it.

Nope I'm still in love with OSX. I am NOT in love with the hardware Apple has been putting out since 2012.

I have one windows10 box here...I use it remotely...I don't love it at all. Its an improvement over older versions of windows no doubt, but a lot of the things that used to drive me crazy about WindowsXP are still there....

In a holding pattern on OS X until I see what Apple does with the MacPro line...5 years out is when I think I will have to make a big decion, Windows12 vs OS X Moonraker.

Yea, I used to love Mac OS 9 and X until Apple decided to clutter the OS up with iOS/AI features. As for hardware, I lost interest after Mac Pro trashcan / iMacs / MacBook Pro with all the ubiquitous "super glue" obsession.

I cant say I like Windows 10 but 5 years ago I added a powerful PC to my “maschine park” and vow, it can handle a lot! By time and help from Youtube I learn to use Windows 10 :).

That's how I feel with W10 too. It can take a huge beating without complaining. I also feel the UI is snappier. Apps are just more responsive in certain ways.

I'll definitely miss the overall OSX UI but I feel I have gained so much with W10 that wouldn't go back anytime soon.

I feel so liberated when working with this platform, I'm highly considering chucking my Mac in the bin and get a Surface or something else.

Just wait until Microsoft forces you to upgrade the OS right in the middle of working. This is - by far - the most insane situation I have ever experienced since Windows 1.0 (with which I have started the day it was out). Windows 10 does, from a design point of view, many things right, but those mandatory upgrades are driving me insane - and not only me. Many of my collegues had similar situations where they switch on their systems in preparation of a meeting or webcast in the morning, just to learn that Windows 10 decided to run an upgrade which left everyone with a 15 minute wait period. And don´t try to think you can interrupt it ...

So as somebody who uses both operating systems (Mac since the Macintosh Classic came out), I am still feeling that Mac OS X is the best operating system around. However, Apple does one of the worst jobs ever not delivering decent and inexpensive hardware anymore. Prices are beyond ridiculous, performance no longer on par ... and looking at the inside of my old Mac Pros, I wished Apple would have simply kept up with this awesome concept. Those were the best workstations ever designed.

I like OSX, but don't see the 'cult-like' appeal of it. Sure, probably used to be better for creative stuff, but I think Windows has well caught up in that regard. Lifelong PC guy here, too used to Windows, and you can get 3x the hardware power as a mac for the same price :)

Last edited:
Just wait until Microsoft forces you to upgrade the OS right in the middle of working. This is - by far - the most insane situation I have ever experienced since Windows 1.0 (with which I have started the day it was out). Windows 10 does, from a design point of view, many things right, but those mandatory upgrades are driving me insane - and not only me. Many of my collegues had similar situations where they switch on their systems in preparation of a meeting or webcast in the morning, just to learn that Windows 10 decided to run an upgrade which left everyone with a 15 minute wait period. And don´t try to think you can interrupt it ...

So as somebody who uses both operating systems (Mac since the Macintosh Classic came out), I am still feeling that Mac OS X is the best operating system around. However, Apple does one of the worst jobs ever not delivering decent and inexpensive hardware anymore. Prices are beyond ridiculous, performance no longer on par ... and looking at the inside of my old Mac Pros, I wished Apple would have simply kept up with this awesome concept. Those were the best workstations ever designed.

except it won't since I have Win 10 Pro and turn off automatic updates.

Rumour has it that the coming version will even allow W10 Home users some control over deferring updates.
That would be nice. Though I see Microsoft's stance, the average home user would likely rarely update and be left with a rather vulnerable machine.

That would be nice. Though I see Microsoft's stance, the average home user would likely rarely update and be left with a rather vulnerable machine.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...rience-with-control-quality-and-transparency/
It looks like people (including home users) will be able to push a button to defer updates for up to 7 days, and you can push the button 5 times before it updates regardless. It also looks like the big "Feature Updates" may be less aggressive too - not clear to me how it will work (?), although it does also say it will step in and update if your current version is getting near to end of support.

But as I understand it the implication is W10 Home users have to keep going into the option every time to defer updates. W10 Pro will presumably keep the better control that you can change a setting to defer all updates for 10 days or whatever, and it stays set.

Generally I quite like it and find it reasonably intuitive/customizable to use. Not a fan of the updates though.

Hm... Yes, I too actually liked W10. Got it in a "gamer's bare bone maximal power" version with a laptop that has a touch screen. That touch screen support really speeds up my workflow; one hand on a midi controller bord, another hand on the screen feet on pedals. In my desktop studio machine I have W7 (in fact ordered a Dell with W10, but on arrival it had W7 installed and I had no time window to install a new system). I like W10 much more than W7, because it is faster to work with. I have some Apple machines too, but my current love for touchscreens makes them feel a little inhibiting these days, but OSX is in some ways easier for me to navigate through.

Top Bottom