1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for the best all-around prepared piano library.

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Headlands, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    I was looking at UVI's offering (which is on sale ending tonight) and wanted to know about others that are at the same level. I like the versatility of the UVI version but would like to hear about others too, from both usability and sonic standpoints.

Thanks!

2. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    This has been a personal dilemma of mine for 20 years. VSL makes one, Big Fish has one UVI has one. Honestly, they all fall short. It is one project I would love to take on myself but its hell on a piano.

Niah2 likes this.
  3. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Interesting -- How do they fall short for you, tmhuud?

5. OP
    OP
    Headlands

Headlands Senior Member

Aug 18, 2017
    Huh, that looks interesting. Much more affordable than the UVI. I do like UVI's deep flexibility with the interface, but it's $$$. Sonically they both sound pretty nice, but it's hard to tell without actually using it, for me.

6. bigcat1969

bigcat1969 Senior Member

Nov 12, 2013
    In my limited experience with 8dio in general they have a great sound but have inconsistencies and lackluster interfaces. I have no experience with this piano just thought it might be an interesting option.

7. ptram

ptram Senior Member

Nov 30, 2013
    There is also the Xsample, with a lot of different preparations. Different in structure and modifications to the VLS.

I'm not sure I know what I would look for in a prepared piano. A philological adherence to the principles of Cage scores? Or the freedom in preparing my own piano? (But since I don't usually prepare a piano, I wouldn't know exactly what to look for).

Paolo

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  8. kgdrum

kgdrum Senior Member

Apr 11, 2005
  9. wst3

wst3 my office these days

Apr 2, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I have prepared (as well as bowed and plucked) piano libraries from Soniccouture, 8Dio, SoundIron, and a couple others that I can't recall at the moment. I love these libraries, and I never really expected one to cover all my needs (needs???). It's just fun to use a piano in ways one might not normally encounter. Heck, I still use the DynoPiano instrument from the EPS from time to time.

It seems unlikely, to me, that anyone could create a one library covers all the turf. Come to think of it, that applies to pretty much any approach to any instrument.

10. Niah2

Niah2 Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    Where is the UVI's prepared piano on sale? On the main's site it is still the same price...

11. TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog Senior Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Brooklyn, NY
    Until yesterday everything on the site was 25% off. But don't worry, sometimes they have 30% off sales.

Niah2 likes this.
  12. gregh

gregh Senior Member

Feb 1, 2015
    UVI have two - the IRCAM one and the new Augmented Piano which is much cheaper. The IRCAM one is more powerful in terms of editing power but is a bit tedious to edit. The Augmented piano is much easier but does not have the flexibility in editing at the level of the preparation. The FX section in the Augmented is missing from the IRCAM but can be added using the Falcon architecture.
    If you want one "out of the the box " I would recommend the Augmented, if you want to do excruciatingly detailed design then the IRCAM. I have also tried or investigated many others and they all tend to be quite gentle in the adjustments to the sound ie they are a piano plus a buzz overlay rather than a tuned buzz

for fun there is a prepared Rhodes electric from Zvon http://lesproductionszvon.com/zvon_PR.htm

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018