Looking for Synth to Compliment Omnisphere

Discussion in 'VIRTUAL SYNTHS: Omnisphere, U-he, Reaktor, etc.' started by imagegod, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:03 AM.

1. imagegod

imagegod Senior Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Have Omni...love Omni...

Looking for a complimentary synth...plucks are my go-to patch, but Atmospheres are nice.

I don't want to program...I just want to load up patches...thanks!

2. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Kinda like looking for BFF to complement Jennifer Garner ….. :scout:

( but huge 3rd Pty content from Pluginguru, Luftrum, Unfinished, Hollo, Plughugger, et al ….. )
    Provides terrific diversity for Omni 2.5 imho …...

3. OP
    OP
    imagegod

imagegod Senior Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Definitely don't get the joke...but if its funny, I'll take it. Thanks!

4. Jaap

Jaap Best audience ever...booh!

Zebra 2 and Omnisphere 2 is still a happy marriage :grin:

It has a nice amount of banks available for it, it does all kinds of styles very well.
    Another one to consider is VPS Avenger, amazing synth to have beside Omnisphere

5. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    No offense intended. I'm obviously very impressed with Omni and JG .... ( 'What's in your wallet ??' )
    My preference for the many 3rd PTY libs is also the ease of getting great and diverse results, without deep-diving into Omni (or any synth) innards …. or having to learn another synth as well..

Regards

6. Sample Fuel

Sample Fuel Senior Member

Apr 21, 2018
    Shameless plug.....love Omnisphere but created a bunch of Synths to compliment it for my personal composing workflow.... www.samplefuel.com

Also German Keys just reviewed REVOLUTION-CRE8 (our reversing instrument) in the November issue out today.

sostenuto likes this.
  7. Tiggerdyret

Tiggerdyret Member

Jul 22, 2018
    Native Instruments Komplete bundle is a great bang for the buck and houses an almost infinite number of synths if you count the user libraries that comes with Reaktor.

Wally Garten likes this.
  8. R. Soul

R. Soul Senior Member

Jan 7, 2006
    London, UK
    Another vore for VPS Avenger. Very under rated synth around here.

Bansaw, S.M Hassani and Jaap like this.
  9. Quasar

Quasar Senior Member

Jun 26, 2012
    I'm not a synthesis person. I bought Syntorial on sale and hope to learn.

But IMH(amateur)O, having both Omni 2.5 and Zebra 2, I can't imagine why one would need any more synths.

10. zvenx

zvenx Senior Member

I always thought of avenger as Nexus pro.. that is for the dance crowd. Will take another look at it indeed.
    But indeed if I had only omnishpere and zebra2 (and of course kontakt and machine ) i could do most of what i do.
    Rsp

sostenuto and Jaap like this.
  11. Silence-is-Golden

Silence-is-Golden ^^

Jun 8, 2015
  12. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    True respect here for Omni and Zebra. Almost coin-toss, years back, when Omni was purchased.
    Today there remains much to explore and understand. Had I chosen Zebra, surely the same scenario would exist.
    NI_K11U, and other NI synths are impressive … Absynth5, Massive, Reaktor.
    So many capable synths now, many tilting toward specific genre, etc. Over time … have acquired many; Omni2.5 is fav.

(early on, trusted source mentioned Avenger 'sound' versus Omni. Subjective comment, and perhaps has been enhanced over time. Can Avenger supporters comment ? … always open to revisit and adjust.)

13. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

May 12, 2018
  14. S.M Hassani

S.M Hassani Senior Member

Dec 30, 2014
    VPS Avenger is truly powerful and perfect for cinematic work. If you love amazing presets listen to this patch from the Cinematic 2 Expansion:

The entire video is worth watching if you're considering Avenger as a media composer. In my experience it's not difficult/discouraging to create Avenger patches like this yourself, if you know how to program synths. On most other synths it would range from a programming nightmare to a downright impossibility.

I also think SERUM is another one to consider alongside Omnisphere. It can push into sonic areas where the great Omni wouldn't. Best of all, you can multisample and integrate those exotic SERUM sounds inside Omni's powerful multi patch engine.

Good times!

R. Soul, sostenuto and Jaap like this.
  15. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    My serious need for synth tech help has kept me close to Pluginguru (John Lehmkehl) for years.
    John has done Libs other than Omni … and Serum is one for which he has had ongoing regard.
    Will likely add at some point.

Thanks for this Avenger: Cinematic 2 video ! Will review and learn :thumbsup:

RussellSzabados and S.M Hassani like this.
  16. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Any synth can compl*e*ment (not compl*i*ment!) any other.

Need more info. What kinds of sounds do you like?

sostenuto likes this.
  17. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I will add one generic opinion, though: all synths and no live instruments or samples makes Jack a dull boy.

Often, anyway.

18. DS_Joost

DS_Joost One day I'll fly away!

Nov 19, 2015
    Tilburg
    I propose some synths that haven't been mentioned yet, but are definitely worth to take a look at:

UVI Falcon: what a beast! It complements Omnisphere perfectly in that it shines where Omnisphere shows it's weak spots (ahum... Granular). Takes a while to learn. Is a bitch to program in the beginning, and almost too overwhelming. Don't expect to get to the bottom of this one within a year! Very rewarding, perhaps the deepest synth I've ever seen. Plus, you get heaps of effects (80+!) and an extraordinary sample engine all in one. Simply one of the best VSTI's around.

Europa by Reason: lots in common with Serum. Both have their strengths. It can do the cinematic thing truly well. Perhaps a little overpriced, but damn me if that grit it has isn't heavenly. Insane detuning options as well. Sounds very modern, which is a good thing. And that bass!!!! Easy to program and learn. Almost instant gratification and yet very deep as well. Everything on the same GUI page is a godsend. More developers should look at Propellerheads's design principles. They are masters at making sound design truly fun.

Novation Peak: a hardware synth you say? Well, yes, for two good reasons: no. 1 is integration with Omnisphere, which goes a long way to making Omni much more fun to program (let's be honest, Omni's a great synth but the pages within pages of options really turn me off for synth programming). This remedies that almost completely. Second: it's a hardware synth! Do NOT underestimate the power of inspiration you get when just being able to tweak knobs. It is a different mode of sound design, takes you into a different mindset, and a good one. For me, it makes me think more creative. Gets me in the zone. That, and the Peak is truly unbeatable when it comes to the trifecta of sound-features-price.

I hereby conclude my .02

Saxer likes this.
  19. Arbee

Arbee Senior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Melbourne
    Serum (and this https://www.aiynzahev-sounds.com/products/halcyon-for-serum) is a great compliment and contrast to Omni in my experience (I have no affiliation, just a fan).

20. germancomponist

germancomponist Senior Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Germany
    If you do not like to learn how to program a synth, then it makes no sense to buy one. This VPS Avenger does not convince me at all, soundwise.

What I suggest is the U-He Hive, a very underrated synth.

Living Fossil likes this.