What's new

Looking for simple sampler with crossfade options

Crowe

part raven, part troll
I've stumbled onto the sampler in Ableton Live, which is epic and offers a bunch of functionality I didn't know I needed in a way that is quite easy to understand.

For example, it has crossfade.

example.PNG

Now, I use Cubase and while I love it the sampler in it is pretty barebones. I've also tried Grace but it doesn't quite do what I want. I do have Kontakt but it seems a bit complicated for my single-sample requirements.

What would you recommend?

Pre-emptively: No, I will not be switching to Ableton for a sampler.

Don't worry, I'm a member of KVR and I don't really like it there.

That said, I found that topic and followed their advice. Then I discovered that using Sforzando involved text editing. I do enough programming-through-text during my day job so I really don't want to be doing that.

I'll look into the TAL Sampler, the other options are a bit to expensive for my wish of wanting crossfade.
And also Falcon is basically just Kontakt but not XD.

No crossfade in Sforzando... if you want crossfade, gotta prebake it into the sample (though Endlesswav, talked about in another thread today, is a great way to get that done).

If using Endlesswav, you'll need to use a sampler which will respect the loop points written in wav file metadata; that's most of them, probably, but maybe not all.

It looks like I'm going to give TX16Wx a try.

I like this option, because it's a free sampler and my Sound Design partner does not have Kontakt.

Classic name. Sure brings back some memories. The hardest to use sampler I’ve ever worked with ;) (hardware model - no worries). Notorious beast.

Well, it's already refused to save a program so that's a good start.

Imma put this in the 'this is probably my fault somehow' bucket until tomorrow.

True. Although it is actually way cooler hehe.

I hope Greg @Empty Vessel can chime in on TAL Sampler. He has done some awesome soundpacks.
so sorry to be slow to this, I'm still not reliably getting email notifications of mentions and replies for some reason, I've checked my spam and it's not that.
Anyway, yes TAL Sampler has decent loop cross-fading that most of the time will get you out of the :emoji_poop: if you can't get a clean loop by checking zero-crossings, phase etc. Falcon, Pigments and Phase Plant all handle this well too but are much more expensive (Phase Plant I think is on sale for $99 quite regularly). I tried for a while with TX16W but yeah as with others, I did not find a new software friend there :)
There is also DiscoDSP Bliss - https://www.discodsp.com/bliss/ which I have but don't find myself using since the packaging of samples for sale (my priority) was not well implemented at all the last time I spoke to the dev (granted that was a few years ago).
IMO TAL Sampler is still a great option, it can sound clean and modern if you like or crunchier if that's your thing. It's extremely quick for just dropping in single samples (what it was basically designed to do) it's inexpensive, the modelled filters are really excellent and Patrick (the dev) is still actively improving and updating it and intends to continue.

As a curveball - I have Ableton Live Lite which I'm using for a project, it came free with my audio interface and often does with all sorts of things. There is also Live Intro which is about $100. Both come bundled with Ableton Simpler which I find works very well for quick, simple sampling jobs. You also get a few other very impressive Live native devices and a limited track-count version of Live as a bonus.

Hope that helps.

So late to the game (and new member) bridgit is a neat free sampler with crossfading effects. Unfortunately it's only for windows 32 bit 😕

Top Bottom