What's new

Looking for mixing/sequencing feedback on new dark/fantasy game track

Hey everyone,

This is the most recent track for a game I'm scoring:

Since this is the latest time I've had the opportunity to use full orchestral stuff I'm really trying to use each track to grow my mixing chops. Any feedback on the sequencing or mixing would truly be appreciated. I feel like its decent and maybe even good right now. But I know it can be better.

Also the track has already been approved by the developer so the music and orchestration is fine. I've been trained in orchestration and composition so I think thats solid. If you want to give feedback on that, thats fine. It's just not my primary concern at this moment. If you'd like I can provide a link to the score if requested.

Libraries used:

CSS
Albion One
Cinebrass CORE and PRO
NI Winds
Spitfire Percussion

Plugins used:

SPACES for stage placement
B2 for tail
Fabfilter EQ for all cutting and slight boosting on strings
Waves NSL on horns, harp and slight analog warmth on master bus

Looking forward to your feedback!

markleake

Recovering sale addict
Hi Matthew, to me the mix sounds very wide, similar to the other track I commented on recently. That may be what you want, so ignore me if it is.... but personally I find it distracting, as though the sound comes directly from my speakers rather than having any depth to it, even though there are other depth queues. I hear two groups of players sitting across from each other in the room, not one.

OP
MatthewHarnage

MatthewHarnage

Hi Matthew, to me the mix sounds very wide, similar to the other track I commented on recently. That may be what you want, so ignore me if it is.... but personally I find it distracting, as though the sound comes directly from my speakers rather than having any depth to it, even though there are other depth queues. I hear two groups of players sitting across from each other in the room, not one.

Yeah I remember you saying that recently. I still don't get why it comes off that way. The only panning I've done (besides the built-in panning) is on the: Harp (left), Crash (right), Crotales (right).

Then again, I'm using a preset in Ozone called "More Space". I don't use it exactly but its my starting point. Maybe its using some sort of sid/mid eq to cut out too much mono information.

bbunker

I think Mark's pretty on point - the brass especially feel strange to me, because you can pretty clearly hear the players on one side, and the rest of the sound on the other, with nothing in the middle. The imaging could use some work.

Maybe try printing again, but tweaking out any Sideband processing to see what's going on there?

OP
MatthewHarnage

MatthewHarnage

Thanks bunker. It has to be from the sid/mid processing. I'll check that out (luckily that should be a quick fix).

I know that preset uses some mid cutting, but I didn't realize it was that drastic. Thanks for the help everyone.

OP
MatthewHarnage

MatthewHarnage

Hey everyone. What do you think of it now? The file should be updated now. I've been playing with the orchestration/writing some though. What about the stereo imaging now?

I noticed I had a stereoizer on the strings and got rid of it. Got rid of the Ozone stereo processing too. Took the panning I did in Kontakt down a notch. How does the stereo image feel now?

markleake

Recovering sale addict
It's much improved Matt - a much better stereo image. It still is a bit wide in terms of sounding like I'm in the conductor's position with a fairly shallow orchestra (for example the brass seems to sit at the very edge), but within normal personal preference range now I think, and certainly not distracting. It no longer sounds like there's any weird processing on the stereo image... it now sounds like a normal room. :)

OP
MatthewHarnage

MatthewHarnage

It's much improved Matt - a much better stereo image. It still is a bit wide in terms of sounding like I'm in the conductor's position with a fairly shallow orchestra (for example the brass seems to sit at the very edge), but within normal personal preference range now I think, and certainly not distracting. It no longer sounds like there's any weird processing on the stereo image... it now sounds like a normal room. :)

Yes improvement! :D Thanks for the help. I'm gonna keep a closer ear on my stereo imaging in the future.

Top Bottom