Looking for dark pads

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by JeffvR, Feb 11, 2019.

1. JeffvR

JeffvR Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    So I'm scoring an absurdist horror film. The music will be in the direction of Utopia by Christobal Tapia De Veer, but I also need some dark influences like Suspiria by Thom Yorke and Gone Girl by Trent Reznor. Besides some sampling I'm planning to do I'm looking at String Audio's Dark Matter 2, but they also have Lightless and Monolith. Not sure which one to pick. I already have Omnisphere, Gravity and almost all Gravity packs. Any other suggestions?

2. Ledwick

Ledwick Member

Feb 5, 2019
    spitfire's british drama toolkit is on sale atm, it isn't "synth pad dark", though it's capable of "acoustic texture dark"

keepitsimple likes this.
  3. ccarreira

ccarreira Member

May 21, 2017
    Check Glitchmachines sound libraries, bizarre stuff. Try to test Chimera.

https://glitchmachines.com

4. ccarreira

ccarreira Member

May 21, 2017
    And u-he Repro with some nasty distortion. Its at 50% discount Sale at ni website.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. Jaap

Jaap Yes, that's an alto flute

The whole String Audio line is indeed fantastic for it. Lightless is fantastic and also find Cinematic Textures 2 absolutely great for this.

sostenuto and ccarreira like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    JeffvR

JeffvR Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Yes I bought this one in the sale! Awesome synth :)

ccarreira likes this.
  7. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    Jonas Hallstrom likes this.
  8. Kuusniemi

Kuusniemi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    JeffvR likes this.
  9. freecham

freecham New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Rigid Audio Aquiver and Padstation are great stuff (Kontakt). Samplefuel Bundle/Padmotion (Halion SE) are very good synths for dark cinematic sounds. Same with Luftrum Lunaris.

Luftrum and JeffvR like this.
  10. Not necessarily pads, but I'm doing something with a sprinkle of that utopia sound, and sound dust is a treasure trove of great instruments/samples in that style. I would look at using falcon or Alchemy etc to stretch out some samples (particularly vocals) and pitch them down lots for 'dark pads'.

11. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    Not to be a jerk, but you mentioned that you already have Omnisphere; there are many dark pads to be found there, and there are many more from wonderful 3rd party sample sets for it.

12. Dietz

Dietz Space Explorer

13. Mike Fox

Mike Fox Senior Member

Jul 8, 2016
    I recently picked up Aquiver. It's only $5 right now. Sounds pretty damn good too!

http://rigid-audio.com/products_aquiver.html

I agree with Ned though. Omnisphere already has some dark pads in it.

Dark Matter 2 will do it all though.

14. OP
    OP
    JeffvR

JeffvR Active Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Yes Omnisphere IS great for pads! But the more choice the better :). I bought Dark Matter 2 and it's really good. I'll be building a template for this film so there's no endless search for the right sounds. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Jaap likes this.
  15. How large is Aquiver on the HD? I can't find that information on Rigid Audio's website.

16. freecham

freecham New Member

Dec 21, 2018
    395 Mo

17. Dandezebra

Dandezebra Sorry for the inconvenience

Jan 7, 2018
    Jonas Hallstrom likes this.