1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for a mentor

Discussion in 'Composition, Orchestration & Technique' started by Fermile, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Fermile

Fermile Geffen Studios

Sep 11, 2017
    Tel Aviv
    Hi,
    I got into a stage that I need a mentor for my compositions. I kind of feel like I'm not objective enough and not my surrounding as well.

My business started a year ago, its course is library music for now.
    I want a long term mentor, preferably both musical and business oriented. I know this is a competitive market over there and some secrets are best kept hidden, I believe mentoring is essential on every domain.

Help is welcome :)
    Thanks

2. Ned Bouhalassa

Ned Bouhalassa Senior Member

Sep 30, 2004
    A few tips/questions, if you want them:
    1. Sign your name on a post like this. I think it makes you into a unique person instead of another forum member.
    2. Tell us a bit more about yourself: your strengths, weaknesses, music tools, musical education, etc. What do you want to learn specifically?
    3. Secrets are for losers. We share lots of tips in this community/forum, and it only makes us all better composers.
    4. Do you want someone that lives in your city or are you wanting to do this mentoring long-distance?
    5. Are you offering to pay or are you looking to do some grunt work in return for mentoring?

3. OP
    OP
    Fermile

Fermile Geffen Studios

Sep 11, 2017
    Tel Aviv
    Thank you for your comments.
    My name is Itai Geffen, I wish to get better at composing music for Film/TV/Gaming and at "getting more clients".

I'd say I'm an autodidact, resourceful, agile and committed kind of guy.
    I have no honest professional ear to criticize my work and guide me to a better path.
    not sure what my weaknesses are, maybe some examples will help me put them to words.

I'm generally a music producer, worked with a few bands also as a member (E.Guitar and Bass).
    Studied in a musical school for 1 year in 2008.
    Also last year I've learned courses like synthesis, virtual instruments and sound - kind of as a condition for Film/TV composing major in a local institute that got cancelled, so I had to learn by myself, experience and books.

By music tools I believe you mean the following ... I work with cubase as my DAW and NI's Komplete.
    VSTs : CSS, BWW, BPC, BB, Soundiron stuff.
    Synths : omnisphere
    DSP plugins : Fabfilter, waves, Soundtoys, iZotope

I want a winner mentor, doesn't matter where from.

about pay, I was hoping to get it for free and when the time comes to be a mentor as well to complete the cycle.
    I'm unsure about the term grunt work in this context, but making some kind of work for the mentor sounds like a good trade for me.

4. Blackster

Blackster Senior Member

Hi Itai,

not sure if you will find "one person" who is willing to dedicate her/his time to your development with no return in sight. Usually, these things simply don't happen. But let me suggest to you another way.

From your post I've figured some most of your needs will be covered by signing up for our upcoming membership at Music Interval Theory Academy. https://musicintervaltheory.academy/

1) Haven't heard any of your work yet but usually, our approach to music composition is very unusual and not found any other place. Chances are very high, that your writing skills will get boosted very much.

2) Our team of professionals covers several areas, not only music composition. You might have heard of Doug Frank already. He was President of Music at Warner Bros. for over 20 years. Now, he is lecturing and giving master classes in the music business at our academy. Next, we have a dedicated legal department in case there are legal questions. And there will be master classes in the law of copyright and how to negotiate business agreements, etc. soon. We are in the process of preparing these at the moment.

3) Our CITs (composers in training) participant in composition gigs that MITA gets (commercials, competitions, shows that we produce on our own and we are also in negotiations with big streaming platforms).
    These opportunities all start with our membership. It's not free but very affordable.
    Just something that could be helpful to your situation. I'm available via PM in case you would like to learn more about that.

5. MatFluor

MatFluor Senior Member

Jan 11, 2017
    Switzerland
    On that note, I can also recommend to look into the Equal Interval System, EIS. Created by Spud Murphy, and top graduates like Jim Venable, our own @Craig Sharmat and @Farkle

Of course it's not free, and not for everyone, but for what you get, it's top notch in my opinion. HAve a look in our EIS subforum here to get an idea.

CQrity likes this.
  6. jhughes

jhughes Senior Member

May 12, 2017
    Georgia
    That’s not how it works. Unless you are talking about bartering, a teacher isn’t gonna help you for nothing, Nor for some promise you’ll hand down there teachings later.
    You can always post on the internet and have others review your work; that's largely what you’ll get for free. However, these responses are often generalized statements, without the level of detail you need.
    My advice is to put aside some money for a bit, take a few paid lessons. That would be better than the alternative.

Fermile likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Fermile

Fermile Geffen Studios

Sep 11, 2017
    Tel Aviv
    Thank you all for the comments. You've helped.

8. agarner32

agarner32 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2015
    California