What's new

Looking for a good legato piano

Not to be pedantic (an expression only ever uttered by anyone who is just about to be pedantic), but 1^55 = 1. :)

Haha, I knew there was something wrong with that … thanks for setting me straight. 10^54 is better, no? In any event, it was meant to be "a whole lot". :grin:

Isn't legato technically mean not cutting the note until the next note is played? At least it's what legato in drums is.

In other words, legato piano could simply mean sustain pedal.

I agree: That would be a cool idea. Bowed piano? Why not!
Hammer-ons and pull-offs? Would surely be interesting to hear :)
I tried to record some piano hammer off samples. I may have hit a snag.

piano-hammer-repair-2017-8.jpg

Last edited:
As for mic positions I need

Stereo Magnetic pickups 1mm away
Stereo Magnetic pickups 1cm away
Stereo Magnetic pickups 1" away
Contact Pickups on each section of the piano
Stereo mics 1cm away
Stereo mics 1" away
Stereo mics 2" away
Stereo mics 3" away etc. up to
Surround mics 50m away. (Will need to build a giant anechoic chamber).
Dummy head / binaural from multiple perspectives.
Human-ear + EEG ->AD converter.

So you're saying you don't need surround sound ambient mics positioned in the carpark outside the concert hall?

Yes, mics in the car park will also be needed.

Simple save the samples into quantum hard drive, no compression needed. I always keep a couple slave machines in other universes - just route a long Cat-5 through a worm hole. The latency isn't even noticable.

If there is a latency problem, you can always fold time backward a little. I think Reaper does automatic time-wrinkle editing, but I'm having some problems with quantum multiverse slaves since the newest update. A workaround is to time-fold version 5.35 into version 5.4, if that makes sense. Make sure you're using Kontakt 9^872, not because it's needed, but because Kontakt has recently evolved into a sentient being, and it's jealous of all other Kontakt versions. It will likely try to kill you if you load the legato piano into any other version.

Also, some legato percussion would be nice as well, portamento, slured, rebow and tongued, hammer-ons and pull-offs.

Plus the usual, phase-aligned velocity layers, articulation morphing (also phase align it), and syllable mapping, or at least "oo" and "ah".

If the piano can auto-pure tune according to hamronies played by all tracks in my template, that would be a bonus, or even better if I can quantize pitch according to the snare-drum overtones.

Preferably free, recorded in an anechoic chamber in stereo and denoised.
Have you tried tonguing the keys? Works for me - I get super svelte legato.

Have you tried tonguing the keys? Works for me - I get super svelte legato.

My piano teacher always told me not to tongue the keys; she said it was disgusting.

But now that tongue bacteria is in heaven, laughing at our fleshy meat-existence. In heaven, bacteria wash themselves of humans.

I'm having some problems with quantum multiverse slaves since the newest update.

Reaper is not compatible with all dimensions, because it's latest update is restricted by the Cosmological Constant. I use Cubase for time-wrinkle editing, because Steinberg adopted Euclidean solutions that uses an instanton which disregards matter fields. As long as the space-time field curvatures remain positive, the instanton solutions will become quasi-attractor points and allow the data to circulate in a trajectory across the a-b plane. Latency is calculated at no more than +.19 milliseconds. I highly recommend Cubase for anyone needing to fold time.

I tried Cubase, but my dongle got folded through the 11th dimension and now I *am* a dongle. Switching back to Reaper.

And pitch perfect legato micro tuning. Can't play Indian scales without it. And untrimmed samples, all of them. Did you forget about piezo pickups on purpose? That really hurts my feelings. I'm on Logic, but really don't see any Reason for that other than being dongled for not having real Pro Tools. Have to go, my Mobile Studio is on Fire.

Last edited:
Piezo pickups are now added.

Microtuning options, as well as intelligent/adaptive microtunings.

Some clever scripting turns your speakers into a mic, so during playback the instrument can detect resonance frequencies in your room and tune accordingly. Tune to your audience's bodies, find their personal brown notes. Tune to hamonics of specific brainwave frequencies and alter the listener's mental states.

My piano teacher always told me not to tongue the keys; she said it was disgusting.

But now that tongue bacteria is in heaven, laughing at our fleshy meat-existence. In heaven, bacteria wash themselves of humans.
Ah, you had a sensible piano teacher!

My teacher, Mrs Smirnoff van Peltenhousen* (she was half Ukrainian, half South African), also made me try and perfect circular breathing pedalling. Darn, that was hard. I think it might have been easier using double-embouchure for that, but I never manage to master it.

*she had barbed wire on her teeth, and made me practice scales with a pencil on the top of my hand - it was not allowed to fall down!

Top Bottom