What's new

Looking for 88-key controller to approximate the action on an Yamaha S90-ES

kestudi

Hey, so I'm going to be moving across the pond (to EU) and won't be taking my beloved Yamaha S90ES with me. Will be looking for a great 88-key MIDI controller to buy. Obviously, the S90 had onboard sounds, which made it fun to just play when I'm not on my computer, but that is not essential; I'd be happy with a straight-up controller. Main thing I'm looking for is great piano action with subtle velocity gradations.

My other controller here is an M-Audio Oxygen 49, which I am NOT happy with -- the velocity sensitivity is pretty poor - Super easy to max out velocity to 127, and difficult to get smooth velocity gradations in the 80-127 range.

Any suggestions? I looked briefly at M-AUDIO Hammer 88 Pro, but love to hear your thoughts, especially if you know the glory of the S90.

Thanks!

I suggest you don't buy anything until you get settled in across the pond. Might even pick up a used something or other that's available for cheap once you get there.

I suggest you don't buy anything until you get settled in across the pond. Might even pick up a used something or other that's available for cheap once you get there.
Sure I hear that, I can always get something used, but since I'm going to be there for a while I definitely want something that makes me happy to play it, so would love to hear suggestions from the pianists out there!

Top Bottom