What's new

Long loading times for Auddict libraries (solved)

dahnielson

I am experiencing extremely long loading times with the USE and MSW libraries from Auddict that I currently own. I am talking about the loading time before the UI show up and the samples starts to load, that render Kontakt unresponsive for several minutes, as demonstrated in the video below:

Before anyone asks, yes, I have batch re-saved all libraries, and no, my computer isn't underpowered (i7-6700K w/ 32GB RAM). I am currently using Kontakt 5.7.0 but experienced the same behavior with the two previous versions of Kontakt as well. This prevents me from using them in any project (as it will render Kontakt and Cubase unresponsive for 3+ minutes for each instrument ).

What can be done to mitigate this?

Edit:

Turns out all you have to do is to adding the instrument directory as an exclusion rule in Windows Defender and it will now start to load in just a couple of seconds.

The actual sample loading is still slow, but that's down to me not currently having the library on an SSD.

Last edited:
Just to ask: You drive does not happen to be connected via a PCIe interface? Currently I am facing massive issues with Kontakt, depending on how the drive is connected to my - in this case - Mac. It already starts when opening the directory tree and despite mailing with NI support since many weeks, the feedback is less than stellar. One time, they say that loading issues don´t exist, then they say that it´s a "know problem", then they want complete system data (of course to no avail), then a teamviewer session ... this is getting boring and ridiculous.

I bought the Auddict Master Solo Woodwinds some time ago (when the made the bundle) - they are taking quite long,yes. They always took a long time. Let me test it quickly.

I quickly tested it on my setup (my main DAW-PC is not as beefy as yours), loaded from my "Slow-Storage Drive" (external USB3 HDD), Kontakt 5.6.8:
- MSW Clarinet: 2m20s
- USE Violin I (Standard patch): 40s

So yeah - you're not alone. I haven't tested it on an SSD, but they need to optimize there. Or if you have VEP, load it up and don't touch ;) (I know it's not a solution, but just mentioning it)

I think I might have https://forum.cakewalk.com/Kontakt-load-times-m3535206.aspx (found a solution) that shave off most of the pre-sample load waiting time to a couple of seconds by adding the instrument directory as an exclusion rule in Windows Defender. All I had to do was to add the top directory (H:/Instruments in my case) to be excluded and now all the Auddict libraries loads in a mere couple of seconds even after a cold reboot of the computer. Sure, they don't load as snappy as many other instruments but it is still much better than what I had to deal with previously. Sincerely hope this isn't just a fluke for the evening...

:dancedance:

@dahnielson: I see the slower than average load times, also. In my case I already have a Defender exclusion, so that's pretty interesting. I think I might delete my exceptions and add them back in.

We do have a lot of samples in there due to the high mic position count - would people be interested, in the future, in us creating LITE patches which contain one or a few mic positions, for faster loading? Or even mixes of the mic positions, bounced/mixed down?

If you aren't already, we always recommend running sample libraries from a fast SSD

Duh ... I had forgotten to do a batch re-save. The instrument UI is now visible in 1-2 seconds and fully ready in ~10 secs. This is down from about 40 secs before batch re-save. This is off SSD.

I must already have done so for my Auddict master brass, as that's been very fast always.

Anyway ... clearly driver error in my case.

- would people be interested, in the future, in us creating LITE patches which contain one or a few mic positions, for faster loading? Or even mixes of the mic positions, bounced/mixed down?

My two cents:

RE LITE: Half a gig of RAM for a good instrument, is fine with me. I like the flexibility of having the microphones and it's one of the things that sets you apart.

In view of Spitfire's success with providing different mixes, I think this might be worth exploring. I'm not sure what I'd ask for, however.

I think I might have https://forum.cakewalk.com/Kontakt-load-times-m3535206.aspx (found a solution) that shave off most of the pre-sample load waiting time to a couple of seconds by adding the instrument directory as an exclusion rule in Windows Defender. All I had to do was to add the top directory (H:/Instruments in my case) to be excluded and now all the Auddict libraries loads in a mere couple of seconds even after a cold reboot of the computer. Sure, they don't load as snappy as many other instruments but it is still much better than what I had to deal with previously. Sincerely hope this isn't just a fluke for the evening...

This. So important that people do this if they are on a Windows machine. Just future reference to those who come to this thread.

Yes just to emphasize.....you must exclude sample library directories and/or drives with Windows Defender (I also turn off indexing for those drives as well). Loading becomes VERY fast after that.

We do have a lot of samples in there due to the high mic position count - would people be interested, in the future, in us creating LITE patches which contain one or a few mic positions, for faster loading? Or even mixes of the mic positions, bounced/mixed down?

If you aren't already, we always recommend running sample libraries from a fast SSD
Would be great to update Master Woodwinds so one could purge articulations he doesn't use. :)

This. So important that people do this if they are on a Windows machine. Just future reference to those who come to this thread.

Yes just to emphasize.....you must exclude sample library directories and/or drives with Windows Defender (I also turn off indexing for those drives as well). Loading becomes VERY fast after that.

And the important thing to remember is that you will not notice this as a real problem if all you use is large Kontakt Player compatible libraries, only when you start loading regular Kontakt instruments with a large amount of samples, due to the difference in how Kontakt loads them.

I second that!
I third that!

Actually, I have 3 requests to improve Master Woodwinds:
1. Allow us to unload articulations as needed to reduce RAM footprint.
2. Provide single articulation patches.
3. Give us a way to adjust where the keyswitches are on the keyboard (this is more a Master Brass issue, but will include here as its a common useful feature missing from these libraries).

Mic mixes might be useful also, but I tend to fiddle a lot with various mics, so doubt any preset mix would be able to get my preferred settings anyway. For example, the spot ribbon mic on the flute is a must for me to remove some of the close airy sound. But that's fine, that's one of the good things about these libraries.

Wow, thank you, @dahnielson.
Adding the libraries/Kontakt/Daw to The defender's exclusive list worked like a charm! I was planning to move the library to external SSD but it doesn't have to now.:dancedance:

Batch resave can make loading time faster but I resave one mic position settings by using "Save as..." and "patch only" on the floppy disk icon of Kontakt.
It can make loading time faster too. :)

It might be out of topic but I hope @Auddict to notify the version histories of Auddict libraries on the web site. Without it, I have no idea if the libray that I use is up to date.

Had the same issue. Kontakt would hang for ages using MSWW. I did some googling and found the defender trick and now they only hang for about 5-8secs on loading and then are pretty much instantly loaded once the gui appears (this is on a SSD)

Was hanging for 30 secs+ before. Also did the same for my Hollywood Orchestra libraries and they load much quicker now as well! Can't believe i didnt know this before!

Top Bottom