LogicPro + VEP and AU3

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

I don't really understand your question, but Nick's screenshot also looks funny. This is what it looks like for me using VSL's AU3 templates, which you need to do:

au3.jpg

You can use up to 8 ports x 16 midi channels currently.

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
I don't really understand your question, but Nick's screenshot also looks funny. This is what it looks like for me using VSL's AU3 templates, which you need to do:

View attachment 20653

You can use up to 8 ports x 16 midi channels currently.
oh.. but each port is still limited by 16 midi channels?

so what are the advantages that wherent there before?

i thought it was like in cubase that each port (one VEP plugin insert) would be able to load up to 64 midi channels (max of instruments in kontakt). thus, reducing the amount of port connections to just 4.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

There are only 16 midi channels per port. The same is true on Cubase and all other hosts. Cubase let's you use up to 48 ports, so 768 total channels. LPX is limited to 127 total midi channels on 8 ports, as of now.

Before AU3, you could only do 16 midi channels per VEP instance on a single port, so its quite an improvement to have 127 channels per VEP instance on 8 ports. You could set up some fairly large templates with just a couple of VEP instances, which was not possible before without using the CC99 hack.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

newsflash. LPX 10.4.5 just hit with the 1000 tracks, etc. I notice they updated multi-out plugins to 25 stereo channels.. compared to 16 before. So that's something... Seems to have broken VEP multi midi port, but still checking it out...

1000 inst channels aren't showing up for me either... so dunno...

fiestared

Vintage -but- not obsolete
newsflash. LPX 10.4.5 just hit with the 1000 tracks, etc. I notice they updated multi-out plugins to 25 stereo channels.. compared to 16 before. So that's something... Seems to have broken VEP multi midi port, but still checking it out...

1000 inst channels aren't showing up for me either... so dunno...
Good news, thanks!

Nick Batzdorf

oh.. but each port is still limited by 16 midi channels?

so what are the advantages that wherent there before?

i thought it was like in cubase that each port (one VEP plugin insert) would be able to load up to 64 midi channels (max of instruments in kontakt). thus, reducing the amount of port connections to just 4.
MIDI Ports are always 16 Channels. That's part of the original spec from 1983.

But you can access multiple Ports. I can access 16, by the way - 256 MIDI channels.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

you can't use more than 8 ports in logic, its limited internally to 127 midi channels, so you can't use channel 16 on port 8 either. If you try to add that 128th channel, then the GUI in logicPro gets all messed up and confused. So while you can choose port 9 or 16, its not going to work, you are limited to 127 channels feeding a single VEP plugin and instance. For now.

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

yea I agree, 10.4.5 broke the AU3 plugin period. Particularly what I think it broke is not hte plugin as much as the template we are supposed to use. I think 10.4.5 broke many existing templates and project files becuase of the way they are handling the 1000 channels. Now it creates the underlying inst object on demand...and somehow that has broken things. Im getting wierd results when I use existing templates. If you start an empty project and load the AU3 plugin then it seems to work properly.

Update: Changing the VEP preferences to 50 audio outputs seems to get the Au3 plugin working again in LPX 10.4.5

Last edited:

studioj

LPX is limited to 16 stereo channels coming from any instrument plugin. So you'd be limited to 16 stereo channels per VEP instance.
Thanks. Its too bad that this number isn't variable based on the setting in VEP preferences like in other DAWS. I see that in today's update they bumped it up to 25? In PT/VEP I have this set to 64 stereo inputs. I don't always use all 64 inputs but I do often get up to more than 40. I feel like the multi port availability becomes less useful without audio i/o to correspond.

dbudde

For those still having problems loading the AU3 plugin, make sure you have enough audio outputs per instance allocated in VE Pro Server preferences. For instance, for the 25 output multi version, you need to allocate 50 outputs.

Nick Batzdorf

For those still having problems loading the AU3 plugin, make sure you have enough audio outputs per instance allocated in VE Pro Server preferences. For instance, for the 25 output multi version, you need to allocate 50 outputs.
Good point, but it didn't solve my problem.

agarner32

This is probably way too much to ask, but would anyone be willing to explain how to use AU3 version of VEP7? I've tried multiple ways and can't get it to work. I'm coming from Cubase so the process is different. You just create a VEP instrument in Cubase and MIDI channels after that. The MIDI channels can be assigned to any instance of VEP on the server side.

I did get AU3 to work on 1 port, by creating a VEP multi-port instrument along with aux channels, but when I create another one and choose port 2 it doesn't work. Yes, I'm a complete dummy. I'm sure it's an easy process.

Again, if this is too much to ask I understand. I am missing some key steps or concept.

Thanks,
Aaron

Note: I have gotten multi-ports to work using the Environment as shown in a really clear step by step youtube video.

dbudde

This is probably way too much to ask, but would anyone be willing to explain how to use AU3 version of VEP7?
I'm guessing you are having difficulty getting more than one port connected to the server. Here's the easiest way I have found to do all this.

1. Create a new track with an AU3 instrument.

2. Set it's midi channel to 1 in the inspector (leave the port number as 1)

3. Duplicate that track while incrementing the midi channel (control-return is the shortcut) and do this until you have 16 channels on that port.

4. Create a new instrument with an empty instrument.

5. In the environment, reassign the instrument to instrument 1. then close the environment window.

6. Change its port number to port 2.

7. Repeat step 3 for all the channels in port 2.

8. Repeat steps 4 - 7 for ports 3 through 8 or until you've got all the tracks you need.

9. Note that you need to stop at channel 15 for port 8 currently due to a Logic limit of 127 channels.

10. At some point you need to connect to the server. Can be done at any time.

Last edited:
OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

Vsl has also provided some AU3 templates which basically have 127 channels precreated for you across 8 ports as described above. It’s a very simple template but uses exactly the same process as outlined above manually to set it up. So ready to go with 127 tracks and they have some multi instance templates with 254 and 381 tracks respectively

OP
Dewdman42

Dewdman42

It’s useful to go through the manual process though so that you can understand how logicpro multi’s work in general.

agarner32

Wow, I just got home to see these super helpful posts to my question. Thank you very much dbudde and Dewdman. I tried one of the VSL templates and it works perfectly. I'd like to recreate it though so I understand the concepts.

As far as audio routing goes, I'm not sure it I'm doing this the best way, but it works. I just created X number of outputs for a Kontakt instance on the VEP slave 1-2, 3-4, 5-7 etc. On the Logic side I created aux tracks and named them appropriately. As an experiment I tried it with a CSS - Vln1, Vln2, Va, etc. So 5 aux tracks set to inputs 1-2, 3-4, 5-7 etc.

So 127 tracks per VEP7 instance? That's a start. I'm used to having templates in the 2k track range, but this might force me to downsize.

As a side note, it might be nice to pay someone for a Skype lesson on setting things up with the audio routing. Tobias from OT gave me several lessons on setting me up in Cubase and he was great. It would have taken me a long time to learn what he showed me in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Aaron