What's new

Logic, VEP6 Multi, single Kontakt with multiple instruments

Thanks Nick, I've tried that method. It works but I'm not a fan. You end up with a big mess of aux channels, and they start bogging down the system resources. And I'm not 100% sure, but there's a limit to how many aux tracks you can have (256?).

Thanks Nick, I've tried that method. It works but I'm not a fan. You end up with a big mess of aux channels, and they start bogging down the system resources. And I'm not 100% sure, but there's a limit to how many aux tracks you can have (256?).

You are right, that is not a good way to go.

Jay do you find it's the problem with the way Logic manages (or doesn't manage) cpu resources to deal with multiple instruments in a single Kontakt instance in VEP which makes that approach unadvisable? Or it is another issue/issues? I've got the routing and tracks for this approach figured out to the point I'm happy with it, but wondering if I'm asking for trouble with cpu/other resources.

Jay do you find it's the problem with the way Logic manages (or doesn't manage) cpu resources to deal with multiple instruments in a single Kontakt instance in VEP which makes that approach unadvisable? Or it is another issue/issues? I've got the routing and tracks for this approach figured out to the point I'm happy with it, but wondering if I'm asking for trouble with cpu/other resources.

All the auxes go to one core for the Kontakt multi-output instance.

I find myself using a VEP multi with a single Kontakt instance in the first channel with several instruments in it, then adding as many buses in the VEP multi as needed, and bringing them back on their own channels in Logic.

Seems to work well and saves ram from loading all those kontakt instances, but it goes against the one instrument per kontakt instance in VEP that many people swear to.

Some people swear by the one instrument per track approach in Logic, not all. Some people swear by one instrument per kontakt instance, perhaps for the same reason...but not all.

I see nothing wrong with using some multi instruments sometimes...whether in kontakt or other instruments...with or without VEP...makes no difference to me. There are pros and cons. personally I do not think it will make a significant difference to CPU either way, but each instance of kontakt does use a little bit of ram, so you might reduce your ram usage a little bit by using multi's. It used to be that the argument was made the LogicPro did not spread the load across cores very well if a single instance of Kontakt was used vs 16 separate kontakt instances. But VEP is much smarter about core usage and the above issue may or may not be relevant in recent versions of LogicPro. Mostly I think this is a workflow choice with pros and cons either way, has been discussed a lot on this forum already, search around some more.

Wolfie is correct you are limited to ~256 aux channels in Logic...so if you need to break out the audio from kontakt to separate mixable channels in Logic...then you can have up to 256 of them, and if that isn't enough, then you need a new solution, maybe a new DAW.

I do not, however, think that AUX channels are any more resource hungry then software instrument channels, as he implied in his post. Its just channels. Logic, unfortunately, does limit you to 256 of them, and if you intend to use any busses in your mix, then you have to reserve some for that too.

Another potential factor related to AUX channels is that PDC is probably not handled the same way as normal software instrument channels, which could be a PITA, depending on what you're doing. Not really sure about that, Logic might be doing smart stuff under the covers to handle AUX PDC in this specific case differently, just thinking out loud about it, but its something to be aware of.

Also in Logic you are limited to 255 software instrument channels, so if you want to mix more than 255 instrument tracks in the LogicPro mixer, then you will need to use some multi-instruments, pure and simple, in order to add some more AUX channels...for a total of around 511 mixable instrument tracks in Logic.

There is also something to be said for sub-mixing sections in VEP rather then bringing every single channel back into Logic's mixer. That could include multi-instruments inside of VEP..or not..as you wish. If you specifically need to bring a couple of specific instruments back into the Logic Mixer for some reason, then fine, fork off a couple AUX channels for that. Mix the rest in VEP. Not a big deal. Then you can have way more than 511 mixable instrument channels if that's your thing.

There are some practical reasons why using multi instruments in Logic can lead to complexity and confusion, which is why I think some people have a rule not to use them. Which is fine too! There are advantages to not using them, such as the ability to freeze tracks. But there are also advantages to using them sooner or later.

With regards to VEP and midi....and also Kontakt...inside Logic...you are currently limited to 16 channels of midi per VI (in this case the VI is the VEP plugin). Which means by default, you can have 16 instruments per VEP instance....even if that VEP instance is a single kontakt instance with multi instruments inside it. Or not, as you wish.

While the AU3 spec does provide for the possibility to have more than 16 midi channels per VI, LogicPro itself is going to require some changes to the GUI and probably internally, in order to support more than 16 channels of midi being routed around the app, well before it actually hits any AU3 plugins. So just to set expectations, LogicPro is really not ready for the same kind of multi-channel operation that Cubase provides with VST3, for example. Not yet. Apple has some work to do to make that possible...in addition to VSL upgrading their VEP plugin to AU3.

Currently the only way to get around that is to use VSL's multi-port macro hack..which does kind of work. However my experience with that after signficant testing is that Logic itself will choke on too many multi-port macro channels feeding simultaneous events into the VEP plugin. You can safely use more than 16 channels, maybe double that amount is ok, but it does start to choke on the midi if you send too many events at a time through the channel. Hard to say for sure whether this is Logic that is choking or the VEP plugin; and the macro itself is also doubling the number of events, so there is that too. But based on historical discussions about LogicPro and similar midi bandwidth problems reported in the past, my vote is that Logic is unable to handle too many simultaneous midi events in any one instrument channel at a time..which if true means Apple has to architect LogicPro in a way to avoid that limitation before multi-port AU3 operation can really be supported also. We shall see about all of that.

Meanwhile Ivan is making big claims that he has come up with a solution around all of that in AudioGrocery, so let's wait and see what he has come up with, I am very curious about that, but remain skeptical due to current limitations in LogicPro.

Last edited:
In a recent project I used a few vep multis with a single Kontakt multi with multiple instruments, routed to vpt buses and brought back into logic on auxes, created tracks out of those. So each can be stacked/managed/mixed in logic. They were for a string section, percussion, and a couple of other things. I was doing it to conserve ram by having fewer Kontakt instances which seem to take about 50 or 60 megs apiece empty, so it can add up.

I did see some choking from these I have to say. At first I thought it might be a streaming issue but that wasn't it, the cpu% in some of the pep multis went quite high, so I think it's the choking there. It didn't drive cpu too high in Logic. It was alleviated by rebooting the iMac, sometimes. So there does seem to be a limit there I'll need to keep an eye on and manage.

Life in the slow lane.

Some people swear by the one instrument per track approach in Logic, not all. Some people swear by one instrument per kontakt instance, perhaps for the same reason...but not all.

I see nothing wrong with using some multi instruments sometimes...whether in kontakt or other instruments...with or without VEP...makes no difference to me. There are pros and cons. personally I do not think it will make a significant difference to CPU either way, but each instance of kontakt does use a little bit of ram, so you might reduce your ram usage a little bit by using multi's. It used to be that the argument was made the LogicPro did not spread the load across cores very well if a single instance of Kontakt was used vs 16 separate kontakt instances. But VEP is much smarter about core usage and the above issue may or may not be relevant in recent versions of LogicPro. Mostly I think this is a workflow choice with pros and cons either way, has been discussed a lot on this forum already, search around some more.

Wolfie is correct you are limited to ~256 aux channels in Logic...so if you need to break out the audio from kontakt to separate mixable channels in Logic...then you can have up to 256 of them, and if that isn't enough, then you need a new solution, maybe a new DAW.

I do not, however, think that AUX channels are any more resource hungry then software instrument channels, as he implied in his post. Its just channels. Logic, unfortunately, does limit you to 256 of them, and if you intend to use any busses in your mix, then you have to reserve some for that too.

Another potential factor related to AUX channels is that PDC is probably not handled the same way as normal software instrument channels, which could be a PITA, depending on what you're doing. Not really sure about that, Logic might be doing smart stuff under the covers to handle AUX PDC in this specific case differently, just thinking out loud about it, but its something to be aware of.

Also in Logic you are limited to 255 software instrument channels, so if you want to mix more than 255 instrument tracks in the LogicPro mixer, then you will need to use some multi-instruments, pure and simple, in order to add some more AUX channels...for a total of around 511 mixable instrument tracks in Logic.

There is also something to be said for sub-mixing sections in VEP rather then bringing every single channel back into Logic's mixer. That could include multi-instruments inside of VEP..or not..as you wish. If you specifically need to bring a couple of specific instruments back into the Logic Mixer for some reason, then fine, fork off a couple AUX channels for that. Mix the rest in VEP. Not a big deal. Then you can have way more than 511 mixable instrument channels if that's your thing.

There are some practical reasons why using multi instruments in Logic can lead to complexity and confusion, which is why I think some people have a rule not to use them. Which is fine too! There are advantages to not using them, such as the ability to freeze tracks. But there are also advantages to using them sooner or later.

With regards to VEP and midi....and also Kontakt...inside Logic...you are currently limited to 16 channels of midi per VI (in this case the VI is the VEP plugin). Which means by default, you can have 16 instruments per VEP instance....even if that VEP instance is a single kontakt instance with multi instruments inside it. Or not, as you wish.

While the AU3 spec does provide for the possibility to have more than 16 midi channels per VI, LogicPro itself is going to require some changes to the GUI and probably internally, in order to support more than 16 channels of midi being routed around the app, well before it actually hits any AU3 plugins. So just to set expectations, LogicPro is really not ready for the same kind of multi-channel operation that Cubase provides with VST3, for example. Not yet. Apple has some work to do to make that possible...in addition to VSL upgrading their VEP plugin to AU3.

Currently the only way to get around that is to use VSL's multi-port macro hack..which does kind of work. However my experience with that after signficant testing is that Logic itself will choke on too many multi-port macro channels feeding simultaneous events into the VEP plugin. You can safely use more than 16 channels, maybe double that amount is ok, but it does start to choke on the midi if you send too many events at a time through the channel. Hard to say for sure whether this is Logic that is choking or the VEP plugin; and the macro itself is also doubling the number of events, so there is that too. But based on historical discussions about LogicPro and similar midi bandwidth problems reported in the past, my vote is that Logic is unable to handle too many simultaneous midi events in any one instrument channel at a time..which if true means Apple has to architect LogicPro in a way to avoid that limitation before multi-port AU3 operation can really be supported also. We shall see about all of that.

Meanwhile Ivan is making big claims that he has come up with a solution around all of that in AudioGrocery, so let's wait and see what he has come up with, I am very curious about that, but remain skeptical due to current limitations in LogicPro.

Just to be clear, when I used the word "choke" in my earlier post, what I meant is that LogicPro will drop some midi events if too many of them hit one single channel at the same time, and this is completely independently of whether the Cpu is maxing out or not. This will be manifested as missing notes and hung notes... Spread the same midi data across multiple VI channels, and it handles it all fine.

Lots of different things could have effected your CPU problem...including as Jay mentioned, not spreading across cores perhaps. If you fixed your problem by rebooting then I'd be suspicious of something entirely outside of your DAW being the culprit...like a spotlight scan was running or something like that.

All the auxes go to one core for the Kontakt multi-output instance.

The VE Pro multi-output instance is on one core, but it looks like the heavy lifting is being spread around by VE Pro?

I don't set it up this way as a rule, but it seems to be okay as long as you do it in moderation.

(See the Logic CPU meter and the system-wide Activity Monitor one in the second screen shot.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.45.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.45.58 AM.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.45.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.45.17 AM.png
    201.5 KB · Views: 14
Wait - Jay, are you talking about using multi-output single instances of Kontakt (not a great idea), or about using multiple audio streams from VE Pro?

I'm just talking about Dewdman42's comment that you need VST3 to send multiple audio streams to Logic, which I still don't understand. Clicking on a + to access more outputs from VE Pro seems like a perfectly reasonable implementation to me - although I just discovered that the - isn't removing them again properly, and I wonder whether that's a bug.

LogicPro will drop some midi events if too many of them hit one single channel at the same time

Maybe turn on MIDI data thinning? I use an EWI (which sends tons of CC data), and I've never had that happen - which doesn't mean I'm more handsome than you, it just means I'm surprised you're having that problem. What computer are you using?

Dewdman didn't say anything about needing VST3 to send multiple audio streams, someone else maybe...

Unless you are using the multi port macro then you are not experiencing what I have been talking about with Logic's limitations. Please read my posts more carefully...

I haven't tried to stress test single midi port with 16 channels (without multi port macro) through a single VI channel to see if it runs into that problem under dense midi, but basically the input channel of Logic seems to start dropping notes and events if too much is happening at a time...including just too many simultaneous notes. The multi-port macro of course makes that more likely to happen if you try, for example, to funnel 100 midi tracks through a single VEP plugin to a single VEP instance. That will seem to work ok for a bit until a lot of those 100 tracks are playing at the same time, then notes start dropping. I have been ok with 20-30 tracks feeding through a channel that way, I don't have more specific numbers then that. If you google around you can find discussions about LogicPro having some midi internal buffer limitations, and I think that might be the culprit on that. It might happen without multi-port under stress also, but I haven't experienced that or stress tested for it.

In any case, the only reason i mentioned it is because everyone keeps talking about AU3 and multi midi ports and so forth..and I'm just trying to say... LogicPro has some internal limitations that have to be rectified before full AU3 multi-port tracking to a big singular multi-instrument can be realized.

The audio channels produced by multi-instruments are the other problem. Right now we can basically create up to 16 stereo returns from a multi-instrument, which show up as AUX channels when you hit the "+" button. I've never seen more than 16 available, I'm not sure if AU2 is limited to 16 or what, but anyway, I think that's a limit. So...in order to have really big AU3 multi-instrument, such as VEP to a single VEP instance, you need to have something more or better then what LogicPro offers right now in terms of either being able to hit the "+" a hundred times (or more) to create all the returning audio channels you need...or else something entirely better where multi-instruments always have as many audio channels as they need to accommodate the multi ports and channels of midi they are responding to. LogicPro is simply not up to any of this right now beyond basically 16 channel multi's if you want...no midi ports...just 16 channels.

Maybe turn on MIDI data thinning? I use an EWI (which sends tons of CC data), and I've never had that happen - which doesn't mean I'm more handsome than you, it just means I'm surprised you're having that problem. What computer are you using?

Certainly can't hurt. I'm on macPro 5,1 with 12cores x 3.33ghz. The CPU is not stressed at all. The notes are getting dropped for some other reason. Also, if the same 100 track orch cue is spread across 4 VEP instances(which means the notes go through 4 LPX inst channels), then it plays perfectly without any dropped notes. You only start getting dropped notes when you try to funnel 100 tracks of orchestra through a single VEP instance (which basically requires them all to funnel through a single Logic instrument channel and through a single environment pipeline also, which actually might be the bottleneck).

In practice it is not that bad to just spread to at least a few VEP instances..I like half a dozen as a rule. But anyway, AU3 on its own is not going to make Logic suddenly handle midi throughput better. Apple has to improve the software.

I do get cpu spikes now and then and restarting does seem to quiet things down—sometimes, not always.

I'm also streaming back and forth over Thunderbolt in a way that may not be a great idea. I have both the slave and master macs reading the same series of ssds (in blackmagic multidocks) through thunderbolt (the ssds mounted on both macs), and VEP is not using ethernet, but rather the thunderbolt connection. That same thunderbolt connection is also driving a second monitor off the host mac. I try not to light matches near any of this, it could blow at any time. :)

Seriously though, it does work smoothly most of the time...

Just to be clear, when I used the word "choke" in my earlier post, what I meant is that LogicPro will drop some midi events if too many of them hit one single channel at the same time, and this is completely independently of whether the Cpu is maxing out or not. This will be manifested as missing notes and hung notes... Spread the same midi data across multiple VI channels, and it handles it all fine.

Lots of different things could have effected your CPU problem...including as Jay mentioned, not spreading across cores perhaps. If you fixed your problem by rebooting then I'd be suspicious of something entirely outside of your DAW being the culprit...like a spotlight scan was running or something like that.

Top Bottom