What's new

Logic User Considering Switching To Cubase

Callum Hoskin

I am a competent logic user and very happy with the program however I need to upgrade my hardware as I am pushing my machine to the limit. It goes without saying that macs are expensive and overpriced so I am considering windows alternatives and running cubase. This would obviously be a huge change for me and I wanted to hear from people who have done it and how easy the switch is. Just to clarify there is nothing wrong with logic and I love the software just want to break away from the apple platform. But maybe it’s worth spending the extra money to stay on a software i’m familia with???

arvfur

I left the Apple ecosystem a few years ago and I am not going back in that loop.

My system is now:
Gigabyte X299 DESIGNARE EX, Socket 2066 (w/Thunderbolt)
Intel Core i9-7940X Processor, 14 core 28 threads
Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W PSU
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Matrox M9128 1GB, 2xDisplayPort (fanless)
Fractal Design Define R6 case
HyperX Fury DDR4 2933MHz 64GB RAM
Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit OEM

To be used for mixing and MIDI orchestration, plus recording of less than 8 tracks sim.
Running Nuendo, Cubase and Wavelab
1 UAD2 Octa and 2 Quads
Lynx AES 16e PCIe and Aurora 16
Two monitors, one 2560x1440 and one 1920x1080
3 TB SSDs and 7TB hard drives moved from old system.

Very happy with Cubase/Nuendo (very MUSICAL DAWs) and the PERFORMANCE is superb with Kontakt/Halion and surprisingly quiet system as well. I ran easy overclocking scheme and all cores run stable at 4.6 Ghz. I have no idea what a similar system in the Apple ecosystem would cost, but I'm guessing my wallet would hurt a lot more.

Saxer

My advice: Get Cubase first and have a look how you can deal with the new workflow. If it works change platform as a second step.

goalie composer

My advice: Get Cubase first and have a look how you can deal with the new workflow. If it works change platform as a second step.
Great suggestion.
My own 2 cents: I made the switch from Logic to Cubase on a Mac a couple of years ago as the composer I was writing additional music for also used Cubase. To ease my transition I purchased a keyboard with Cubase shortcuts on it and watched a bunch of video tutorials on Cubase. My transition from Logic to Cubase was relatively painless.

Saxer

My own 2 cents: I made the switch from Logic to Cubase on a Mac a couple of years ago as the composer I was writing additional music for also used Cubase. To ease my transition I purchased a keyboard with Cubase shortcuts on it and watched a bunch of video tutorials on Cubase. My transition from Logic to Cubase was relatively painless.
I tried but missed too many things I'm used to in Logic. It feels like replacing my sax with a trombone: I know exactly what I want to play but have no idea how.

dzilizzi

I'm a PC and learnt on ProTools. I picked up Cubase a couple years ago when they had a good price on the crossgrade so I could use VST plugins that don't work on ProTools.

Cubase has some great things. I love the Chord Track. That said, I find the workflow to be difficult. It is hard to find things in the manual because they use different terms for things than I am used to. And like every other DAW I've used, things will work one day and for no apparent reason not work the next. Things like the routing are different. I am slowly figuring it out. And maybe it will make sense to you. Otherwise, you may want to try Studio One - it is a little easier to pick up. I would check out a few of them before spending the money and maybe watch a bunch of YouTube videos showing the processes.

stigc56

Hi
I took this step some years ago. I wasn't happy with Logic - but wanted to stay with Apple. I bought Cubase, Digital Performer, Studio One and have since spent so much time on deciding which to use. I do this for a living so every hour spent on this subject goes from hours that are paid by customers. My advice to you is - if you are a pro - to include these hours (not paid) in the account for ex. buying new hardware.
I have now a template in Cubase with around 800 tracks. It runs on a Mac Pro 6.1 3ghz 8 core all SSD together with two older Mac Pros as slaves. This set-up isn't working so good, so I'm always looking back to Logic, that runs so well on my hardware.
Many will tell you that it doesn't really matter what DAW you are using, they are all capable. But they are different! In Cubase you can spent hours and hours on setting up Expression Maps, visibility configurations of tracks, color coding, Logical Editor presets and so on, and hopefully you will have a PC that can run all that. But be prepared to spent a lot of time on building a template, if that is your goal.
What I'm trying to say is that I have spent a lot of time on this. Repairing functions that was meant to work in a certain way, but was buggy: disable track in Cubase and Articulation ID's in Logic.
Sometimes I think we are like amateur "car-builders", that buy the engine at one store, the transmission and wheels in another store, and the "car-body" at the 3rd store, and now we try to "glue" all the parts together. And we all say to each other, that there are so many ways of creating a set-up in a DAW, that you just have to find your own way, but I think I would prefer a unified system with all parts created to work together. A kind of "one way" system. I think Pro Tools is to me that kind of a system, it works like this..... I mean all cars (almost all cars) are made with 4 wheels and the steering wheel is round not square!! Many cars looks the same, and guess they are often the same machine wrapped in a different "coating".
So before you switch you should maybe sit down and make a list of pro and cons. When I used Logic, it made me flip out that that every time I opened a Vienna Ensemble Pro plug-in on a track, the window sits in the upper left corner and is far to small. So every time I would have to move the window to the centre of the screen and enlarge it so I could see all the instances on the network. This is still the same, but I have to live with all those small things, and I have to evaluate that annoyance against all the benefits.
I hope this make sense to you, I just had to get it off my shoulder.

OP
Callum Hoskin

Callum Hoskin

Have you considered getting a PC for use as a Slave to connect to your mac through VE Pro ?
Yes however I want to possibly get a laptop so I can have a portable setup and a slave system as well as it works isn’t the most portable

OP
Callum Hoskin

Callum Hoskin

I tried but missed too many things I'm used to in Logic. It feels like replacing my sax with a trombone: I know exactly what I want to play but have no idea how.
That’s what I’m worried about

Top Bottom