Logic project disappeared by it self

Norhernlys

Hello there.

I´ve been working on a track for a few days now and when I started the project I kinda found the title "Untitled" to be a great name for the track so I just kept it. Been saving it like madness as I always do. When I tried to open it now it suddenly cannot be found and the "Untitled.logicx" is missing. I haven´t started a new project since I started this one. Been trying to search the mac, (Running both a deep search program and a recovery program as we speak).... But I´m fearing the worst here.

Do logic or Mac OS sometimes auto reset files or is there something else going on here?

Best regards from a Noob who will always make 25 backups of everything in the future

OP
N

Norhernlys

Does it show up in the “recently opened” menu option?
It does but If I try to open it by right-clicking on Logic and opening from there, nothing happens. If from inside Logic, it says that "Untitled.logicx" cannot be found, even though it is there with the rest of the recent ones.

Zero&One

You got Time Machine enabled? Have a look back if so.
If not, do so or install Carbon Copy Cloner and run dailys on your Project folder.

Try "Find Any File" app (FAF). Nice for... finding stuff :cautious:

Saxer

Doesn't it show up in MacHD/User-YourName/Music/(Audio Music Apps)/Logic? That's the default location.
Maybe it's listed in Logic's main menu "Open Recent"?

ArtOfFugue

Hello there.

I´ve been working on a track for a few days now and when I started the project I kinda found the title "Untitled" to be a great name for the track so I just kept it. Been saving it like madness as I always do. When I tried to open it now it suddenly cannot be found and the "Untitled.logicx" is missing. I haven´t started a new project since I started this one. Been trying to search the mac, (Running both a deep search program and a recovery program as we speak).... But I´m fearing the worst here.

Do logic or Mac OS sometimes auto reset files or is there something else going on here?

Best regards from a Noob who will always make 25 backups of everything in the future
I have had a similar problem but have resolved it by going to File>Project alternatives; here I find my project embedded under an old version with similar title with an added hashtag symbol !
It must have mistakenly been saved in this way and was completely camouflaged until the Project Alternative menu was accessed and didn't appear on any of the spotlight searches etc
Hope this is some help to someone :)

TGV

I think I know what might have happened. I've observed something like this: when you create a new song, Logic calls it "Untitled". Under some conditions, it actually creates that file before you save it. I think it might happen when you add audio to the song. Then, when you close it, and don't save, it deletes "Untitled.logicx", probably because it wasn't supposed to exist. I've found Untitled.logicx files after Logic crashed. So, if you didn't move the Untitled you wanted to save to another place, and created a new project, and added audio, then Logic might have overwritten and deleted the file you wanted to keep.

If that's the case, then your file is lost, unless you had Time Machine running (or another backup). It would also be a stupid bug.

jcrosby

I think I know what might have happened. I've observed something like this: when you create a new song, Logic calls it "Untitled". Under some conditions, it actually creates that file before you save it. I think it might happen when you add audio to the song. Then, when you close it, and don't save, it deletes "Untitled.logicx", probably because it wasn't supposed to exist. I've found Untitled.logicx files after Logic crashed. So, if you didn't move the Untitled you wanted to save to another place, and created a new project, and added audio, then Logic might have overwritten and deleted the file you wanted to keep.

If that's the case, then your file is lost, unless you had Time Machine running (or another backup). It would also be a stupid bug.
Yup. This has to be related. As mentioned by default Logic names any new project Untitled temporarily. If Logic crashes you may see multiple Untitled.logicx files named sequentially, Untitled 1, 2, etc. As to whether it's recoverable I'm not sure... Any chance you see an Untiled 1, 2 or similar?