What's new

Logic Pro X Wishlist 2021 Edition

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
Its been a while but here is a new list of logic wish list we all hope the developers can see :)

- Piano roll different color lanes for different midi Regions.. (auto assign when selecting more than one region to edit)

-Multiple midi cc lanes on piano roll. We've been asking for this since forever but heck.. once agin.

-New compressor models/algos to be in the main channel EQ. And user default setting for when pressing the listtle eq window in the channel strip. I lov for easy it is to summon the EQ but the the sound is a but thin when adding gain. new algos are cool.

-Better surround implementation. (I have a feeling new atmos will be added soon to logic)

-Better right side file browser. (I still default to looking in finder)

- Asignable keycomand to advance midi transform functions. (fixed velocity, fixed note length etc)

- Nicer folder tracks in main window. (I cannot tell when the folder ends) Maybe another color?)

-Having summing tracks folders be under summing track folders. (its doable but pita. an easier way would be nice).

-Change the quick controls so its only right click (command click/whatever) and move midi knob/fader. Similar like in kontakt gui.
Right now the quick control is anything but quick.

-Effect chain like in Ableton live where the effects are one next to each other, can be nested and x/y control assignable. (too much to ask of course but if they copied the Live Loops, why not this :)

-A way to have score notes instead of midi regions in the main window arrangement. Ive read someone wanted this and though it wouldb cool, even though iwoud not use it.

-kill the star control button/window fiasco. Do the quick control/ableton live effect chain instead mentioned above.

-Midi Environment. ufff... where to start. Left there for legacy users but sometimes useful. Those tiny midi lanes points are just an strain away from punching the computer

-Logic multi sampler is cool but would like some more redmatica features. Auto round robin would be nice.

-better flex algorithms for pitch. any better in general.

-Expand the pitch correction to do fun stuff like T-pain stuff. The reggeton in me that comes out when drunk would love this.

-Not limit audio units to 16 multi channels at a time.

-Being able to categorize instruments like in effects.

-MAin window "flags" markers likein pro tools. Love the way PT just has a little yellow dot and text you can use to rememebr stuff.
the current markers in logic are very crude and only in sections.

-Disable track/track "off" to actually remove ram without having to control click them. minor but still.

-Force users to have to rename tracks that are the same. That way i dont have 43 tracks names "untiled". Im not blaming my lazy ass.. but pro tools forces you to do this and works wonders.

-Mixer windows to be customizable or more flexible and not have to follow the main window setup.

-Option to not create an new aux when creating a new bus. OR assign track into another track.

Thats more than i thought i could write. Maybe some are already there or of course, other ways to do them. But keep adding or correcting :)

-Effect chain like in Ableton live where the effects are one next to each other, can be nested and x/y control assignable. (too much to ask of course but if they copied the Live Loops, why not this :)
Except perhaps more like Bitwig's version i.e more macros and allowing effects to be placed in the feedback path.

I also wish they'd replace the clunky 'Smart' control system, and just have MIDI assignable in the way Bitwig, Ableton and u-he do it.

A Bitwig-style floating browser, with much easier plugin instantiation.

Would love to see something like M4L within Logic, allowing independent developers and coders to craft audio and MIDI plugins/objects/patches. Maybe even a full-on modular environment ;)

Its been a while but here is a new list of logic wish list we all hope the developers can see :)

- Piano roll different color lanes for different midi Regions.. (auto assign when selecting more than one region to edit)

-Multiple midi cc lanes on piano roll. We've been asking for this since forever but heck.. once agin.

-New compressor models/algos to be in the main channel EQ. And user default setting for when pressing the listtle eq window in the channel strip. I lov for easy it is to summon the EQ but the the sound is a but thin when adding gain. new algos are cool.

-Better surround implementation. (I have a feeling new atmos will be added soon to logic)

-Better right side file browser. (I still default to looking in finder)

- Asignable keycomand to advance midi transform functions. (fixed velocity, fixed note length etc)

- Nicer folder tracks in main window. (I cannot tell when the folder ends) Maybe another color?)

-Having summing tracks folders be under summing track folders. (its doable but pita. an easier way would be nice).

-Change the quick controls so its only right click (command click/whatever) and move midi knob/fader. Similar like in kontakt gui.
Right now the quick control is anything but quick.

-A way to have score notes instead of midi regions in the main window arrangement. Ive read someone wanted this and though it wouldb cool, even though iwoud not use it.

-kill the star control button/window fiasco. Do the quick control/ableton live effect chain instead mentioned above.

-Midi Environment. ufff... where to start. Left there for legacy users but sometimes useful. Those tiny midi lanes points are just an strain away from punching the computer

-Logic multi sampler is cool but would like some more redmatica features. Auto round robin would be nice.

-better flex algorithms for pitch. any better in general.

-Expand the pitch correction to do fun stuff like T-pain stuff. The reggeton in me that comes out when drunk would love this.

-Not limit audio units to 16 multi channels at a time.

-Being able to categorize instruments like in effects.

-MAin window "flags" markers likein pro tools. Love the way PT just has a little yellow dot and text you can use to rememebr stuff.
the current markers in logic are very crude and only in sections.

-Disable track/track "off" to actually remove ram without having to control click them. minor but still.

-Force users to have to rename tracks that are the same. That way i dont have 43 tracks names "untiled". Im not blaming my lazy ass.. but pro tools forces you to do this and works wonders.

-Mixer windows to be customizable or more flexible and not have to follow the main window setup.

-Option to not create an new aux when creating a new bus. OR assign track into another track.

Thats more than i thought i could write. Maybe some are already there or of course, other ways to do them. But keep adding or correcting :)
You've pretty much ticked all of the same boxes I'd list....

Multiple CC lanes, and Summing Stacks inside Summing Stacks are the biggest one for me...

The few I'd add or expand on are:

User *non-loop-based* audio browser. (Currently adding files to the "untagged loops" area forces them to be imported as loops. I discovered a bug last year where if files were force-stretched sometimes they couldn't be unstretched, even if dragged in from finder o_O). Just give us a searchable user sample browser please!

Plugin list search with a keyboard shortcut option... (This is one of those little things that makes Live, and other DAWs with the same feature quicker to work in. It also makes it assignable to a controller like metagrid/TOSC/Lemur, etc)

A plugin-chainer device - with the ability for parallel processing (Like Live's Audio/Instrument rack, Studio One's Spliter, etc. This would allow for custom channel or instrument strips, parallel processing etc... Please don't quote & recommend Unify!! :P)

Transform in general needs some work... Presets should be global, not per project. And 100%, should be assignable... I also kind of hate how this isn't a context menu option or linked to a button in the midi editor. It should essentially be hardwired into Logic's midi editing workflow...

An overhauled multiband compressor (Perhaps revamping the current one to use the different compressor algorithms. And at the very least a non-ancient UI).

Other whistles and bells...

Cubase/Studio-One Esque User "Macros" (The ability to chain together any events bindable by a keyboard, then bind them to a shortcut).

Cubase-style keyboard shortcut option for nudging velocities up/down.

A multiband distortion
would be pretty sweet... (Lots of uses outside of just being used for distortion..)

Last edited:
Except perhaps more like Bitwig's version i.e more macros and allowing effects to be placed in the feedback path.

I also wish they'd replace the clunky 'Smart' control system, and just have MIDI assignable in the way Bitwig, Ableton and u-he do it.

A Bitwig-style floating browser, with much easier plugin instantiation.

Would love to see something like M4L within Logic, allowing independent developers and coders to craft audio and MIDI plugins/objects/patches. Maybe even a full-on modular environment ;)

Yeah the right click i mentioned above was using kontakt as an example. Indeed ableton one was my main choice as an exmaple but kontakt seem to be more widley used in this forum.

It used to be a time where logic environment was kinda used like max4 live sort of thing. but apple kind of didnt go too far with it opting for more ease of use. butyeah it would be cool to have something like it.
Although the midi plugin does have coding involved but something inbetween would be cool. Reaktor like or plogue bidule but working with audio, busses, fx etc.

You've pretty much ticked all of the same boxes I'd list....

Multiple CC lanes, and Summing Stacks inside Summing Stacks are the biggest one for me...

The few I'd add or expand on are:

User *non-loop-based* audio browser. (Currently adding files to the "untagged loops" area forces them to be imported as loops. I discovered a bug last year where if files were force-stretched sometimes they couldn't be unstretched, even if dragged in from finder o_O). Just give us a searchable user sample browser please!

Plugin list search with a keyboard shortcut option... (This is one of those little things that makes Live, and other DAWs with the same feature quicker to work in. It also makes it assignable to a controller like metagrid/TOSC/Lemur, etc)

A plugin-chainer device - with the ability for parallel processing (Like Live's Audio/Instrument rack, Studio One's Spliter, etc. This would allow for custom channel or instrument strips, parallel processing etc... Please don't quote & recommend Unify!! :P)

Transform in general needs some work... Presets should be global, not per project. And 100%, should be assignable... I also kind of hate how this isn't a context menu option or linked to a button in the midi editor. It should essentially be hardwired into Logic's midi editing workflow...

An overhauled multiband compressor (Perhaps revamping the current one to use the different compressor algorithms. And at the very least a non-ancient UI).

Other whistles and bells...

Cubase/Studio-One Esque User "Macros" (The ability to chain together any events bindable by a keyboard, then bind them to a shortcut).

Cubase-style keyboard shortcut option for nudging velocities up/down.

A multiband distortion
would be pretty sweet... (Lots of uses outside of just being used for distortion..)

cool stuff. I need to look more into those macros. I havent interacted with them in other daw.

and how can i forget search for plugins. My list of developers is about 100+

and oh man a multiband compresor that can be fet, vca, etc would be awesome.

Ive gotten used to changing velocity by click and drag but keycomand would be a welcome addition.

the audio browser does need some retooling. apple got rid of the apple loops app, and making loops is a little odd. and files to chekcout later like a folder would be good to but all relevant files i might use there. right now i open various finder windows with different folders and drag and drop. so rezising logic windows is a pita.

Also on the right side, there could also be a large meter like in cubase. but that would be just extra.no a big deal.

the multiband distortion owuld be cool.

i think the next big update will be for winter NAMM and will focus primarly on Atmos and might not have too many new things. but afterwards we might see a lot more new effects plugins. that my guess though.

All these suggestions mirror mine.

Id love a chord track, as it really helps sketching things more quickly.

I would love something like the scratchpad in Studio One or chunks in DP.

Just in general moving between projects remains a pain in Logic in a way that's not the case in other DAWs.

This feature is already in Logic but you have to set it up first. More on how to do this: https://vi-control.net/community/th...et-midi-length-by-key-shortcut-30-more.73854/
Right, I'm aware you can import them. But it's a bit of a headache and makes a lot more sense for them to be stored globally....

One other fatal flaw of this is that it also makes the key binding non-universal....

A real world example of where this seemingly little headache becomes a reality is receiving a request to customize a cue made in a template where those transform presets weren't part of that project originally.... It's a bit silly I have to manually import it when every other 'preset type' in Logic is available globally... And depending on the preset, it might just be quicker to manually setup transform.

I appreciate the glass half full viewpoint, it's just a really poor conceptual design choice and inconsistent with Logic's overall preset scheme...

Last edited:
I would love something like the scratchpad in Studio One or chunks in DP.
100%. Project Alternatives are ok, but not nearly as useful as Scratchpads... for one you have to reload an entire project anytime you switch to an alternative... Scratchpads are also really great for cut downs and edits...

A Spacial Audio update for Logic has already been confirmed for later this year.

I only have two small feature requests that I reckon are low hanging fruit for the Apple devs:

Finder Tags: Intergrate them into the media browser in Logic. I’m pretty sure it already uses the finder/spotlight tech as a backbone, so why not go all the way?

Key Switching: Allow us to see more than an octave at a time in the keyswitching window.

Thank you, Logic Dev overlords!

Last edited:
+ freely rearrange tracks in mixer
+ search feature / macro (like in S1)
+ native OSC/Midi for Control Surfaces (no need for stuff like OSCulator)
+ nested tracks with more colours

And subscription (nooo just kidding)

* Make my 200-track template of just empty plugin instances with zero audio file, not take up HALF A GIG.

* Get that CPU usage under control! Logic just sitting in the background quietly doing nothing --> CPU fan is still spinning.

* Preserve my list of most-frequently-used plugins and FX for when I click a track's Instrument or "Audio FX" buttons. 95% of the time it's going to be the same few instruments/FX I always choose. Stop making me scroll through the long list of Logic's built-in instruments/FX first.

+ native OSC/Midi for Control Surfaces (no need for stuff like OSCulator)
Just a quickie on this. If you want simple, two way MIDI communication between an iDevice and Logic, IDAM is a good way forward. I use this method to assign (virtual) faders to things like volume etc and everything is kept in tasty, two way sync. It's all built right into MacOS and works out of the box.

Apologies if you already know this. As you're probably already aware, OSC is a more complex proposition.

Last edited:
The single biggest thing Logic needs is an export ability on par with Reaper's. Only being able to bounce one mix, of one time selection is awful. You should be able to export dozens of regions in one go, named after their respective regions/markers. I love Logic but I'm finding myself increasingly using Reaper for this reason.
You can.
Export xxx tracks as audio files
Export xxx regions as audio files

But there's a caveat that essentially kills this feature. (Making your point totally valid...)
It only exports directly from the track, meaning that while inserts can be printed to the exported audio, auxes and busses aren't.

Not only does Logic need a proper export menu like Cubase, the export as menus fro tracks and regions need a checkbox to include the ability to include sends/busses....

TL;DR this drives me nuts as well...

Last edited:
The single biggest thing Logic needs is an export ability on par with Reaper's. Only being able to bounce one mix, of one time selection is awful. You should be able to export dozens of regions in one go, named after their respective regions/markers. I love Logic but I'm finding myself increasingly using Reaper for this reason.
FYI I just sent the following Logic feedback...

I submitted it as an issue with "Efficiency/Workflow" (from the dropdown)...

SUBJECT:

Export tracks/regions as audio & Bounce Project menus need a checkbox to include sends/busses & include/exclude master out processing

This a universal headache for anyone working from a dense, pre-routed and/or pre-mixed template setup with busses & auxes already in use.

**The days of exporting raw audio to a mix engineer are more or less behind us. The average composer/producer/etc does the bulk of a mix themselves, if not mix it themselves entirely.

Logic needs a proper list of options for 'Bounce project', and 'bounce regions/tracks' as audio files.

Bounce Project needs: The ability to see & select all busses from a list and tick the ones needed. And a checkbox to include sends.

Bounce tracks/regions also needs: The ability to include/exclude sends and busses in the signal path.

Both options need: The ability to include/exclude master-out processing.

Solo and bouncing busses one at a time is a HUGE time-sucker.

You can send feedback (and be pretty specific about how it's logged) using the link below.
(And you should... The more people that bitch about an issue the more likely it is to be addressed):

Top Bottom