Logic Pro x tempo curve workflow

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by erikradbo, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles

Not true, if you use the Marquee tool to select control points.

Saxer likes this.
  2. TGV

TGV Senior Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Really? You learn something every day. And then you forget something else, but well.

Thanks, Jay.

3. OP
    OP
    erikradbo

erikradbo Active Member

Sep 16, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    So I ran into this issue again, getting high blood pressure when trying to smoothly change temp in Logic. I wish it worked as the automation curve, automatically creating a slope between two points. Now, every third time or so it's such a hassle to make the slope graphically, both to catch the handle and to make the slope even.

4. Heinigoldstein

Heinigoldstein Active Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Germany
    I build a transform set and a switch so I can use the pitch wheel to control the tempo. 0 is the original tempo of the project, + is faster, - is slower. You can also control the amount of change, so it's pretty handy to do slide changes across the whole piece or heavy ritardani or accerandi as well. No more steril theoretic curves, you hit record and move the pitch wheel. And if you need to edit these changes, you can still use Jays method.

5. klavaus

klavaus New Member

Nov 14, 2015
    Please, tell me how you do it. Thank you in advance.

6. Heinigoldstein

Nov 4, 2013
    Germany
    Sure, but it's a little tricky and I'm on holiday and wont be in front of my DAW for probably another week, so you need to be a little patient.

kmaster likes this.
  7. kmaster

kmaster Now in LA: let's get coffee!

Brilliant. I love using MIDI intelligently like this. And why not??

8. Virtuoso

Virtuoso Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Is there another way of getting scene markers to sync up with bars without using the Tempo Operations constant tempo method, so the changes are seamless and less obvious? Ideally something like Beat Mapping, where you can just drag the scene marker to the appropriate bar and it creates a bezier tempo curve? Would be a huge time saver!

9. Heinigoldstein

Nov 4, 2013
    Germany
    I just had access to a computer, so here we go:

"gfg" is the switch which bypasses or selects the function. Don´t forget the direct kabel to the sequencer input.
    "Pitchwheel to Tempo" switches "gfg". (You could also assign this to a controller)
    "Modifier-Middle......" is the transform set shown to left. 0=BPM 114. For other tempi you have to de-or increase the value (1=1BPM)
    "Tempo" is a special tempo slider you can select from the 1st pop up menu under slider/special (not quite sure about the correct name, because I have a German version here)

So now, when "Pitchwheel to Tempo" shows "On" and you move the PW, you see the tempo(Slider) changing. Press record, record your changes and after you´ve stoped, you´ll see the tempo changes in the tempo lane and the editors.

Hope that helps.

Maybe there are easier ways to do it, so if anybody knows, please let me know.

Pitch Wheel to tempo.png

clisma likes this.
  10. clisma

clisma Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
  11. givemenoughrope

givemenoughrope Senior Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Unless it’s a library track that requires a bpm and that perfect click tempo sometimes I will just either play something on piano or tap a hi hat and then map to that. Parts floating around an imperfect click can feel way better sometimes. I got a mockup from a well-known film composer to flesh out and he had done the same thing.

12. Heinigoldstein

Nov 4, 2013
    Germany
    Looks simular indeed, but the advantage of using the pitch wheel for it is, that you always get back to the original tempo automaticly if you need to.

But using tap and mapping to it makes a lot of sense too.