Logic Pro X Midi and Sample rate problems..Oh My!

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by sourcefor, Mar 15, 2019.

1. sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    Hey guys..Does anyone experience an error in Logic Pro that says ;sample rate not recognized 41526, conflict between logic and external device..? this happens when I have an external interface and when I do NOT as well. I run my samples and sessions off the same Samsung SSD drive 2TB. is that wise or should I separate? I get clicks and pops and the midi just stops playing making my editing a pain in the arse! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

2. kmaster

kmaster Now in LA: let's get coffee!

Sounds like your CPU can't keep up with the load. Try increasing your buffer size, number of cores utilized, and your process buffer range, to start.

3. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    I have the buffer at 1024 samples and the playback and record on...I have a 6 core 32gb MacBook Pro and I am using all SSD drives and still getting clicks and pops and slow playback, etc. I never got this as bad with my 2013 iMac ! I don't even have a large template...hmmmm?

4. kmaster

kmaster Now in LA: let's get coffee!

And have you tried *de*creasing your process buffer range and buffer size? Sometimes more is not better...

5. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    yes buffer down to 512 and I think it is slightly better but still happening! I decreased the range to medium as well! I appreciate you chiming in and your time! Thanks. The cpu does not look that high around 40%, but getting those dreaded cpu spikes on the one core so I made a channel with no output to rest on and that seems to help the cpu spikes but the midi issue still exists. I do not even have an interface hooked up!

6. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You shouldn't have to run the buffer at 1024 samples, and lowering would be moving in the wrong direction if that were the issue.

I'd venture a guess that everyone who's used Logic has seen that error, but it's transient.

So I have to ask: have you restarted your computer?

If so, try a different session?

sourcefor likes this.
  7. nordicguy

nordicguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Do you experiment this issue with different plugins?
    Couldn't be the latter causing the problem?

8. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    yes I have restarted every time I start getting the clicks pops and stuttering...I usually run at 512..maybe its some Kontakt plugs..is there an efficient way to run Kontakt that I may not be aware of?

9. robh

robh Senior Member

Are you feeding multiple tracks into one bus?

10. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    You don't have an audio interface hooked up?

11. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    Yes I feed all my strings into a bus, then all my drums into a bus, etc. is that bad in logic..I've been doing it this way since I used protools! I am only using an interface when In my studio ..sometimes I listen directly into the headphones when I am producing on my couch..otherwise I use an Apogee Symphony MK2! Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  12. robh

robh Senior Member

All instruments on a single bus go to a single processor. So yes, that could be the problem. I avoid this by waiting to assign busses until I’m ready to mix.
    Rob

13. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    Hmmm....I've only recently started getting these MIDI dropouts and stuttering, clicks , problems..which leads me to believe it may be a plugin or sample library problem..but I appreciate you time and suggestions! Ive been running busses for years as someone told me that I should run my VI's to an aux with the plugins on that to alleviate the cpu spikes! Very confusing! Logic must be re-coded apple!!! It must learn to play well with others!!

14. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, you can easily see whether CPU load is what's causing the problem by double-clicking on the Load Meter in the "LCD" to open it up in a bigger window.

15. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    yes I often see a spike on one of the cores..then I move plugs to different aux busses to see if that helps. Sometimes it helps to make an audio channel with NO OUTPUT to rest on. I have so many different libraries it's hard to narrow down which is causing the problem..Thanks for your help!

16. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    I can only think it may be some of my newer libraries just recently added..like Metropolis ARk, Tina Guo and or Dark Era...? Very perplexed!

17. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    I used to produce in Pro tools and got logic because it handled the VI's better..but now I'm not too sure!!!

18. nordicguy

nordicguy Active Member

Jan 18, 2007
    I sometimes experiment some spikes too using certain Kontakt instruments.
    Some scripts seem to be quite heavy on CPU.

19. OP
    OP
    sourcefor

sourcefor Active Member

May 1, 2011
    • Yeah I am not sure its CPU as the MIDI seems to be stuttering and popping and I get a lot of static and the message 'sample rate not recognized conflict between logic and external device!!'..mostly after an hour or so of editing and recording..but thanks for the reply!

20. Nick Batzdorf

Nick Batzdorf Moderator

Sep 14, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Another issue: auxes run on a single core (Jay Asher posted that a couple of days ago).

But it shouldn't be doing that after time - if it works it shouldn't go south.

sourcefor likes this.