What's new

Logic Pro X - inbuilt limiter that doesn't clip and pan settings

JaikumarS

Hello All,

In the video link here

Christian, @10:23 points out Logic X has an inbuilt limiter that doesn't clip and pan settings, etc. I would love to learn more about it.

It would be very helpful if any Logic Pro Experts here, share more insights on it.

Thanks again!

There are other far more experienced Logic gurus around here who might chip in but basically Christian was talking nonsense. There is no inbuilt limiter and Logic offers you a choice of pan laws in the prefs.

Logic channels use 32bit float maths so that they are incapable of being clipped (that's why they turn orange and not red). The master stereo out will indicate red though, not because it's clipping internally but because your output DAC (your converter/soundcard or the Mac's headphone output) will of course clip at some point. Be aware that although the channels won't clip, any plug-ins might, so proper gain-staging is always good practise.

Christian was using the “limiter” analogy to explain headroom in floating point to those who don’t understand floating point.

Yeah, except he wasn't. He admitted later in the comments that he didn't know how it actually worked. It's really no biggie except that now we have a lot of people thinking there's a hidden limiter in Logic, which of course there isn't, and that misconception needs correcting. Not a big deal.

Yeah, except he wasn't. He admitted later in the comments that he didn't know how it actually worked. It's really no biggie except that now we have a lot of people thinking there's a hidden limiter in Logic, which of course there isn't, and that misconception needs correcting. Not a big deal.

Really? Christian F’ing Henson does not understand floating point architecture in Logic Pro? I don’t believe that.

Hello All,

In the video link here

Christian, @10:23 points out Logic X has an inbuilt limiter that doesn't clip and pan settings, etc. I would love to learn more about it.

It would be very helpful if any Logic Pro Experts here, share more insights on it.

Thanks again!

back in the day when daws hit past 0db it will distort like crazy.

https://www.sounddevices.com/32-bit-float-files-explained/

so the math/programming within each daw is different.
its not easy to understand fully, but as a user it helps with headroom and the idea that each daw could sound different when passing 0db or near it. I say it could because its a topic that pops up every so often and floating point sometimes its referenced

https://soundista.com/do-different-daws-sound-different/ so the idea of sound degradation passing 0db. im sure im not getting this 100% right
but the idea that pro tools vs logic sounds better in general is all basically a myth or at least the variations on how you work and plugins will yeild a different result always. if u do sterile tests then maybe but its not better or worse.
there is plenty of topics when the transition happened to 32 floating point and daws sounding different. its not new and there are tons of posts.
same deal with panning. mostly myths one way or the other. the only thing is that pro tools handles surround way better than logic.
i think christians main point is that you should learn pro tools for industry standards reason. which i agree.

I think the Pro Tools advice was more true 15 years ago. In those days I owned it to deliver “built reels”. Nowadays I just name the audio files with the SMPTE position included and make sure each one starts right at 1 1 1 1 even if there is no sound at the beginning.

Top Bottom