What's new

Logic Pro & Apple

Laptops can't have more than 32, and my guess is that most users don't have 128 or even 64 gb. If you work with Kontakt based templates, they use a lot of RAM, even with all the samples purged

I work with Kontakt-based templates (and others - Play, etc.), and I could get by with 32GB. As I've posted before, this takes up under 40GB, depending on what mood my Mac is in:

nJoILaf.png

Hi again Nick, many users get by with 32 gb. I do that now, but will put 32 gb more into my MP within not too long.
But nevertheless, a solution which had "Freeze and unload" would be better than just a freeze function. And a way to create templates with unloaded sample- and Kontakt RAM is a better solution the not having that option. And Cubase users are really happy about having that option; it was actually one of the reasons I bought Cubase (still pretty much use only Logic).

Referring to that Logic poll again, here are the most popular suggestions (having removed stuff which has been implemented since that poll started):

All MIDI editors should have multiple region automation/multiple hyper edit lanes (like Cubase etc)

Ability to move channel strips in the Mixer

Make the colour palette customisable

A way to easily control CC/articulations for all libraries using the same commands (partially implemented)

Logic shouldn't be relying on a single core for realtime jobs

Streamline the workflow for Kontakt CC automation (like Cubase and others)

AUs should be able to send Midi out

General score/MIDI/composing improvements

A pencil tool which freely can draw curved lines

Folders/Stacks: more flexibility with regards to parent/children relationships

Ability to mark presets as favourites

Focus on features which are useful for making better compositions, not just better mixes

Undo for everything, including fader moves/separate Undo for the Mixer

Transparent audio regions (see grid through regions)

“Save selected tracks as new project”

Freeze (and/or the track on/off button) should optionally also load/unload Kontakt samples

Improve Flex Time/Better quality when time-stretching

Built in tape emulation

Score: The ability to enter notes on an iPad with a Stylus and have them pop up in Score

Score needs a lot more attention from Apple, and I'm willing to pay for it

Less confusing track naming

Make Smart Controls a lot smarter

---

There are a number of improvements that some of us find essential which still are missing in Logic after all these years. Of course we hope they would be implemented asap. It isn't more dramatic than that.

In addition to that listening to more score/composer/VI-user wishes, I hope the the good stuff we have seen coming lately, like articulation sets (which can end up being much better than the Cubase solution) will be fine tuned as well. I hope the articulation sets will grow into a 'complete' feature which doesn't make us find out which 3rd part enhancements we need to buy to get the best results. Apple should send the 3rd part developers a bag full of money and let them help finalising what could be the best possible expression maps out there.

In general, they've concentrated their development on things like Drummer, adding Alchemy, the new Smart Tempo editor, new Strings and Horns libraries, and Articulation Maps (definitely a composer feature).
Sure, and the new tempo recognition stuff is also on the way to become really useful. For the records, I posted these two examples some days ago showing that they already can be a helpful tool for those who us who prefer to compose without a metronome:

Some very good feature requests there. I especially like the transparent regions idea.

So your Smart Tempo examples - first, nice classical improv. Second, I'd just use beat mapping to clean up the areas that aren't quite right. It would be nice if you didn't have to bounce MIDI parts to audio to do that, but at least they made Smart Tempo work with MIDI.

I still don't give a FF about freezing, by the way. :)

But we all use Logic differently.

The one feature that got me excited is the improved Smart Tempo. I'd like it to be really easy to noodle without a click, map the beats, quantize most of it (because I'm a keyboard almost-player), and then remove all the tempo changes (which are usually there only because I'm a keyboard almost-player, not because they're intentional).

So your Smart Tempo examples - first, nice classical improv. Second, I'd just use beat mapping to clean up the areas that aren't quite right. It would be nice if you didn't have to bounce MIDI parts to audio to do that, but at least they made Smart Tempo work with MIDI.
You don't have to bounce MIDI parts to audio anymore. Check 10.4.2! :)
Re. areas that weren't right... none of them were, right since I just played something without listening to any click. The result would be better with Beat Mapping, but a combination of this new 'auto-beat-mapping' function and manual adjustments afterwards (either with BM or using the new tempo editor) is a good solution.

I think you still have to bounce MIDI to audio if you use Beat Mapping in the ruler? You know, the old system where you drag a bar to line it up to a transient?

EDIT: No, you're right. Coolio!

Reactions: Vik
I think it´s important to see that Logic does not want to compete with Cubase or ProTools.
With all due respect, whether Apple wants Logic to compete with Cubase, Pro Tools etc or not: the reality is that the DAW market is (among VI users) dominated by Cubase, Logic and Pro Tools and some other DAWs, and that all users look at the options that are available before they buy something. So there is competition.

You are right with your examples, however please don´t forget that Logic did have things which other DAWs did not have
You are right. When Logic Audio, for instance was released, it could do thing with PT/TDM hardware even Pro Tools couldn't do. But that was last century.

There were a few enhancements in the notation areas and if this is important for you, then it´s an absolutely valid point to say that not much happened.
Well, whether we like it or not: notation is the alphabet for music. If one wants to develop as a musician and composer and don't understand the alphabet, you'll notice that those who do have some important benefits in terms of studying others works, learning advanced harmony stuff, figure out more interesting voices etc. Try to teach two equally motivated students playing piano, and use notation with only one of them, and you'll see what I mean. There are of course great musicians and song writes who don't use notation, but if they could read and write notation, they'd most likely be even greater the way I see it.

Maybe those who are looking into profession notations go for other products, such as Dorico?
Sure, Dorico is great in many ways. I bought Dorico after years of frustration with Logic's score editor lacking stuff I found essential. But Dorico can't even record MIDI, and in spite of being developed by the old Sibelius team, they haven't implemented several of the Sibelius features I find most important yet. If you want to create music (as opposed to be an engraver) in Dorico, you need to be e x t r e m e l y patient.

At that time, Apple was not active in many other areas they are today, so this does explain the growing number of employees.
To some degree, yes. But Apple have the cash it takes to be generous enough to develop notation and composing related areas even if it won't make them richer. The problem is, the way I see it, that they aren't interested enough. That also explains why they sell all this music created by fantastic composers and song writers (who of course are the true originators of these 'products') without even mentioning who they are. I wouldn't be surprised if a company owned by Donald Trump would do that, but Apple doing that is unforgivable.

I am still thinking that expanded staff does not necessarily mean fast development or better products
Believe me - I don't think more people working on Logic automatically means that Logic will get better. But if things are done right, having more people working an Logic will make it better, and that's what I'm talking about. My guess is that if you would go to Rellingen and ask the Logic staff, they would agree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom