What's new

Logic Pro & Apple

Levon

Hello,

I’m a PC user and have never used/owned an Apple computer. My first DAW was Cubase but I never got along with the eLicencer/Dongle so moved to Studio One. One of my frustrations with Studio One is lack of support for NI Komplete Kontrol. I’ve always wanted to jump ship to Logic Pro. A big driver for that is studios and musicians that i’ve used and collaborated with on my pop material have been Logic users. But the flip side is that it would cost me between £3000 - £4000 to move over to Apple/Logic Pro from scratch. I’m at the stage we’re I need a new studio computer anyway but my dilemma is do I spend about £1500 on building a new PC based computer or do I completely switch to Mac and move to Logic Pro even although the cost will be a considerable amount more than a new PC.

My question isn’t really about if Logic Pro is better than Cubase, Studio One etc. It is more about whether people consider its worth investing in the Mac ecosystem at this time just to use Logic Pro. If you had to build your computer studio all over again would you still go down the Mac route?

My head is telling me PC but my heart is telling me Mac! :)

Cheers,
Levon

For a good answer we should wait til next year and see if Apple will deliver on their half-hearted promise of a new Mac Pro. It is not so much about this computer model but more whether we can trust Apple to further offer solutions for the creative/professional market.
Sign of late show little interest in this field and if it was right this minute, I would stick with a PC.

Also, within the last few years quality control has gone downhill with Apple regarding OS as well as hardware. The only branch I see doing well is the Logic Pro team itself.

it's a tough choice for sure, but it sounds like the safer thing would be to just build a new pc and continue down that road.
it would save you a lot of money.
that said,
i was in your situation 3 years ago and took the leap of faith and have not regretted it AT ALL!
it took a little while to get thru the apple learning curve both with Logic and the computer because i've been a pc user since i learned how to type. ha
There are a ton of learning resources tho i.e. lynda.com, groove3.com that helped me immensely not to mention the gold mine that is youtube.

Once i got used to Logic tho, it has proven to be a powerful DAW and apple really seems like they care about their user base.
the past two or three updates to Logic have been game changing for me, it's really proving to be an all-in-one stop for media production considering i'm also a Cubase, Nuendo and Pro Tools user.

Concerning the apple ecosystem, if you're an iphone or ipad user i think you'll find that an apple computer is an excellent addition to your arsenal.
I've also noticed that Mac OS is extremely stable and i have had zero tech troubles.

All in all, it's probably not the safest choice but in my opinion it's worth the shot!

Make a +/- list and see which side gets the most pluses. Hard to give advice on this matter. And just to make you think twice, I moved from Logic last year to Studio One :)

I literally just read a quote today from someone stating that moving to a Mac for Logic alone is NOT worth it. Unless you have money to burn I'd say no...

I literally just read a quote today from someone stating that moving to a Mac for Logic alone is NOT worth it. Unless you have money to burn I'd say no...

This thread is literally annoying me.

Look, if you like Logic and Macs - as I happen to do - then it's worth it. If you don't, then you don't.

It's a matter of preference. Logic itself is an amazing deal - $200 for an outstanding DAW + more very serious instruments, libraries, and plug-ins than you can eat. The current Mac line-up isn't ideal for me, so my machines are both used, but I personally wouldn't want to switch to Windows (although I have Windows machines).

Obviously you can make music using whatever you want. But people all like the set-ups they're invested in, or else they kvetch about them and say the opposite, so you can expect the polarized answers you're getting.

A PC will still give you the best cost to performance ratio by far so you might consider getting a mid level iMac AND building a high powered PC then networking them together with VE Pro. I know some people are going for the all-on one computer setup now that the iMac Pro and the soon to be released Mac Pro (so they say) are making it possible, but you will pay significantly for that. If you want to move to LPX and get some serious performance, then this may be an option. Another option may be getting an older trashcan MacPro for a cheaper price.

I think the question to ask is do you need significant power? are you going to be running large orchestral templates with lots of V.I. and processing? If so, then the above may be worth considering.

I bought a mac just for Logic 8 years ago, but I stayed and will stay on mac for much more. Definitely unhappy with the current Mac lineup but not leaving the ecosystem for windows unless apple forces me.

Not a small detail at all; a very important one for people with little money. Nevertheless, I would have preferred a solution where they'd charge some money for the main updates. Not necessarily so much, but if Logic eg have 400.000 users and they pay $50 each for an update every second year, Apple could hire 10 mill. USD worth of developers/year to speed up the development in the areas that hasn't gotten much focus/hire more QA people etc.

Sign of late show little interest in this field and if it was right this minute, I would stick with a PC.

Isn’t this what people are always saying year after year and then apple continues to release machines (iMac pro) and updates (Logic) that just go against the constant nay saying...?

It's possibly a small detail, but it's also worth noting that all major and minor updates to Logic have been free since 2013.

That's very true. The same can also be said of the OS updates (although unfortunately I can't say that those have been as consistently positive in their effects over the last couple of years as Logic updates have been).

To the OP: while I won't say that a switch from PC to Mac today is as compelling a prospect today as it was when I made the same move ten years ago, in a certain light I think you've answered your own question. The rule I always recommend is "choose the software you want, and then get the computer that can run it, not the other way around". It sounds like you want to run Logic, and in my opinion you've presented a valid reason for that desire.

This thread is literally annoying me.

Look, if you like Logic and Macs - as I happen to do - then it's worth it. If you don't, then you don't.

It's a matter of preference. Logic itself is an amazing deal - $200 for an outstanding DAW + more very serious instruments, libraries, and plug-ins than you can eat. The current Mac line-up isn't ideal for me, so my machines are both used, but I personally wouldn't want to switch to Windows (although I have Windows machines).

Obviously you can make music using whatever you want. But people all like the set-ups they're invested in, or else they kvetch about them and say the opposite, so you can expect the polarized answers you're getting.
Bravo, well said.
I'll add that the PC/Mac debate is largely an idealogical one. Either you subscribe to Apple's way of doing things, or you don't. Whichever way is right for you is best.

I'd also suggest you're about to get a bunch of advice on what machine to buy. Used stuff maybe. Someone will mention a "Hakintosh" at some point. Someone else will chime in about Apple "selling nothing but iPhones and not caring about the pros." Then they'll be a final verse about not buying an iMac or Mac Pro Trashcan as the "cheese grater Mac was the last great machine that Apple made."

And it goes around and around. Sorry for the rant. Like I said at the start, the ideal solution is the one that you choose yourself. In most other cases, it boils down to "I did this so you should too." ;)

Logic is great and I am really committed to it now, so I surely hope Apple will continue to release better computers then they have been lately. No doubt they are making an obscene amount of money as a company on phones and iPads running IOS mainly and lower end consumer pretty-ware. That being said, they are a very big company now with many departments working on different things and I'm pretty sure they will eventually come out with some great new, expensive computers that blow everyone away when they finally do. But we shall see. Ever since Steve Jobs passed they have made numerous major mistakes while riding the coat tails of the smart phone revolution. I have a friend that works at Apple and I keep telling her to sell her stock and diversify but she still believes it will go up even more and that the future is wide open for Apple. Bottom line, Apple isn't going anywhere, they are still putting a lot of effort into LogicPro maintenance, Logic isn't going anywhere either. The only thing I am afraid of is that they will stop working on OS X, but that doesn't appear to be their strategy just yet.

I had some bad experience with my 2010 MacBookPro, myself I would not touch one of their new laptops at all, never again actually. For the amount of money I spent, it should have been a better experience. The latest ones coming out reportedly have their own problems too and these are often difficult or impossible to fix completely. A lot of non-techie consumers are really romanced by the aesthetics of Apple computers, how they look on the outside and really only need just good enough computer power, or maybe some computing power to support pretty GUI's. Its like they are shopping for furniture rather then a computing platform. Apple has made serious money on that very concept. They are not going to stop now.

Which brings me back to my 2010 MacPro which is running strong and hopefully will continue to for years to come, because until Apple comes out with something that can be taken serious as a computing platform again, a tower with bays and ports, that is quiet and expandable and upgradable with industry standard components, there is no way they will get $5000 from me. So we shall see, but I think its way too early to give up on Apple entirely...especially if you love and depending on LogicPro. They will do something and OS X/Logic will live on for quite a while.

If not, I will cross that bridge when I get there...Cubase, StudioOne, Free Sonar, Reaper, Bitwig, etc....there are lots of other options if I have to eventually give up on Logic...but we are a long ways away from that.

This is all true, but i do have to say, If I gave up on Logic I would probably go PC at this point and listen I like a lot of things about OS X....but the way Apple has handled so many things related to that platform have been a huge disappointment, while Microsoft has come really long ways to improve their platform. The only reason I switched to Mac years ago was because at the time I was interested in DP. And I did so very hesitantly, by first testing it out on a hackintosh for a while. However, after some years on DP I decided it wasn't for me, and found Logic to be just incredible, though it has its own problems too, all the DAW's have pros and cons, but that one just resonates with me now so I stay on OS X. But if it were not for Logic, I would absolutely no questions build a dream windows rig and move right along to the next phase.

Isn’t this what people are always saying year after year and then apple continues to release machines (iMac pro) and updates (Logic) that just go against the constant nay saying...?

No. I have been loyally in the Apple cosmos since 1995. Waiting for another professional machine for 5 years now is unique in Apple's history. Not to speak about all the stripping of connectivity, server features, and a support that treats you as if you were a baby.
I still like Mac OS better but the veil is thinning. The PC world is miles ahead in hardware performance. If you are a creative who seeks to be on the cutting or even push the envelope a bit you have to wonder where the spirit and vision went that Apple used to be famous for.

I keep telling her to sell her stock and diversify but she still believes it will go up even more and that the future is wide open for Apple

Diversification is always good advice, but I kinda think you've picked a bad time to be telling her to sell her Apple stock. :)

Their stock has gone up about 25% in value just this year, and it shows no sign of slowing down.

Top Bottom