What's new

Logic Pro 10.4.5 Update

Its time to call C or M ;) they need your feedback Charlie!!!

Well, I hung out with Gerhard at a friend's birthday dinner about two weeks before the WWDC, and I definitely bent his ear a fair bit - but mostly about the idea for surround busses "A-Z" instead of just "A". As you'd expect, he was absolutely silent about what we'd see at WWDC or in 10.4.5 - not so much as a nudge or a wink - so all that was as much of a surprise to me as to anyone since I'm not on the beta team or under NDA.

But he did reassure me that the Logic team is operating at maximum strength, undiminished and undimmed - and it seems like the only friction in their world comes from the unalterable, steady pace of their continued development rubbing up against scheduled events and announcements, like WWDC.

So in hindsight I now interpret that to mean that maybe they had to do all that 1,000-track stuff and choke out a preview version of 10.4.5 for the Mac Pro demo at WWDC, with the full release soon after. Maybe the disable tracks thing was a separate feature build-out that got shortchanged when the order came down to have 1,000 tracks running on 56 threads ready for WWDC - so maybe we'll see a further "point" update soon that addresses the issues that other users have found, like the Scripter stuff, and hopefully it will include key commands and more fleshed-out disable/enable behavior.

But I will check and make sure that this request has actually been received....

I've had this sort of thing a few times - what I always do is to unfreeze the tracks, play them for a few bars to make sure they sound correct, then re-freeze. This seems to reset Logic's brain. But I'm a few versions back - on v10.2.4.

Can't say this is my experience at all, having run it from release and still today.
Same here HS runs just as smooth and stable as Sierra did. Won't touch Mojave until the last dot update, if not hold out... 10.13 has been very stable for me.

The only one that really sucked was 10.4.3 and even they acknowledged it by releasing a quick update. Way too many moving parts in these rigs. I'm pretty leary of moving to Mojave but feel I better do it before the next major OS and then it disappears. I miss the old days of being able to download the combo updater and always get back to something that worked fairly quickly.
You should get in the habit of downloading each new OS, not installing it, and leaving it in your application folder. If you ride out your OS for more than an entire version then just archive the previous OS installer in you application folder on an external drive, then download but don't install the new OS...

And about bout being leary of Mojave... You don't have to jump right to Mojave actually. Check the Mac Rumors thread below...
The thread OP developed a utility that fetches versions of macOS Apple hides, directly from Apple's server...Anyone on a mac should be aware of this resource if they aren't already...

The spoiler here is even if your machine is "supported" the utility still allows you to download the OS, making it also a tool for fetching retired/hidden versions of macOS... (Back to Sierra...)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

Then just apply the latest security update directly from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/10.13

Last edited:
You should get in the habit of downloading each new OS, not installing it, and leaving it in your application folder. If you ride out your OS for more than an entire version then just archive the previous OS installer in you application folder on an external drive, then download but don't install the new OS...

And about bout being leary of Mojave... You don't have to jump right to Mojave actually. Check the Mac Rumors thread below...
The thread OP developed a utility that fetches versions of macOS Apple hides, directly from Apple's server...Anyone on a mac should be aware of this resource if they aren't already...

The spoiler here is even if your machine is "supported" the utility still allows you to download the OS, making it also a tool for fetching retired/hidden versions of macOS... (Back to Sierra...)
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-high-sierra-10-13-unsupported-macs-thread.2048478/

Then just apply the latest security update directly from Apple:
https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/10.13
It is important to note that there is a cut-off time on using those installers though.
I cannot remember what it is, but if the timestamp on the installer is too many years behind, it will not work anymore and you will need to download a fresh copy

10.4.5 seems to have a bug where something goes wrong (Logic forgets your Kontakt settings) if you unfreeze a track without havning saved your project after your last changes to that track. Maybe what you describe above is related to that bug?

Man, just diving into my first bigger project in 10.4.5 and it's taking really long for basic selection (selection tracks, rubber-banding regions), soloing/muting tracks & regions, etc. - it's really laggy - this is new behavior.

I've disabled the new "only load plugins needed" feature so everything is loaded & ready to go as on prior versions. This little sketching template has about 11 GB of loaded samples (on a 32 GB machine) across 21 tracks, there's nothing else going on so far - just 4 audio tracks - no real MIDI yet.

This same template ran fine on my prior MacBook Pro with just 16 GB RAM, and I'm now on a 2018 MB Pro with 32GB RAM, Vega 20 video (so graphics are really snappy otherwise) - no reason this shouldn't run like butter. I'm using fast video only (no auto graphics switching), Logic is the only app running, got plenty of available RAM, no VM swapping, etc.

Any clues? I'm already spoiled by the much faster GUI otherwise (especially when opening mixer on my 4k display) so I'd hate to go back to 10.4.4 - ugh...

Man, just diving into my first bigger project in 10.4.5 and it's taking really long for basic selection (selection tracks, rubber-banding regions), soloing/muting tracks & regions, etc. - it's really laggy - this is new behavior.

I've disabled the new "only load plugins needed" feature so everything is loaded & ready to go as on prior versions. This little sketching template has about 11 GB of loaded samples (on a 32 GB machine) across 21 tracks, there's nothing else going on so far - just 4 audio tracks - no real MIDI yet.

This same template ran fine on my prior MacBook Pro with just 16 GB RAM, and I'm now on a 2018 MB Pro with 32GB RAM, Vega 20 video (so graphics are really snappy otherwise) - no reason this shouldn't run like butter. I'm using fast video only (no auto graphics switching), Logic is the only app running, got plenty of available RAM, no VM swapping, etc.

Any clues? I'm already spoiled by the much faster GUI otherwise (especially when opening mixer on my 4k display) so I'd hate to go back to 10.4.4 - ugh...
Out of curiosity, have you tried deleting your control surface preference file? That behavior sounds like the typical symptoms of a corrupt .cs.

Out of curiosity, have you tried deleting your control surface preference file? That behavior sounds like the typical symptoms of a corrupt .cs.

No, but good call - I hadn't tried that yet. I have definitely seen that happen in my decades of (ill)Logical behavior.

I hope I'm wrong, but this may just have to do with amount of stuff loaded, because I haven't seen it on simpler projects up to now. I should be fine since I'm only using 11/32 GB RAM and nothing else is running, but I don't know what else would be causing this all of a sudden...

Are you having multiple Kontakt instances on one track? Do you know how your Mac's single core performance is?

No, just a single instance per track. My Mac is an 8-core 2.6 GHz (4+ turbo whatever), but it's WAY more than enough for what I'm doing - the CPU meter is barely even registering both in Logic and Activity Monitor.

No, just a single instance per track. My Mac is an 8-core 2.6 GHz (4+ turbo whatever), but it's WAY more than enough for what I'm doing - the CPU meter is barely even registering both in Logic and Activity Monitor.
That's good, but sometimes the CPU and disk meters look totally fine, while Logic still struggles with too much strain - eg if you have very memory or CPU intensive stuff happening within one single instance of Kontakt. I just found a new tool which can monitor some of that, which I wrote about here.
My Mac can also show little CPU and disc activity but still be in deep trouble, even with 12 cores and (usually) 32 gb. Not saying that we are having the same kind of problems, though. :)

Delete you logic preferences and reinstall Logic. I was having all sorts of issues with this update until I did that.
Another thing that helps if you use a template, is to create a brand new file and import everything from the old template creating a new template file.
I have found out that I have to do this every few months if am constantly updating my template.

That's good, but sometimes the CPU and disk meters look totally fine, while Logic still struggles with too much strain - eg if you have very memory or CPU intensive stuff happening within one single instance of Kontakt. I just found a new tool which can monitor some of that, which I wrote about here.
My Mac can also show little CPU and disc activity but still be in deep trouble, even with 12 cores and (usually) 32 gb. Not saying that we are having the same kind of problems, though. :)

Thanks for that app tip. Yeah, I am painfully aware that that can happen, but this was happening on an empty song after just putting down two bars of a simple staccato part with Albion. Not taxing at all. And the same empty template was totally fine in 10.4.4 on my previous slower MBP with just 16 GB RAM. Still, I know Logic has its issues with occasionally corrupt pref files, sessions, etc., so it warrants further digging for sure. Just wondered if anyone else saw anything like this since 10.4.5. I would be glad if it were just me, because then that would mean a corruption issue, which is easily fixed! ;)

@rhye @whinecellar

Yesterday was the first full on day with 10.4.5, I may need to trash prefs etc but here’s what I found-

Gui mod people are reporting that there’s a new way in which the mixer graphics are dealt with, and possibly this version is a ‘quick get it out there so we can show people Logic has 1000 tracks of audio running at the show’. In the innards, there seems to be evidence that some quick shortcuts were taken that will possibly be corrected in a newer release, for example, cpu drawn graphics hard coded rather then the usual plist file pointing to graphic files. This is maybe related only specifically to graphics and the mixer, but I for one, am not entirely sure. Take this preceeding with a healthy grain of salt.

What I did find is that this version fell down faster then 10.4.4 runnning a simple template with basic stuff in it, stuff that hit the cpu hard however. Freezing tracks for the first time in a long time as a result and this clears up the errors (like object nested too deep errors, even though I don’t have folder within folders, so who knows why?). Also, there was some strange graphic things, like plugins still showing after being removed from the mixer - when two tracks of the identical strip were showing,in the mixer. Also, I was getting hard crashes again, Logic simply disappears. This went away last version and don’t think its my system, but who knows. Relaunch, restart and everything is back, so it’s just one of those things that let you have a coffee or pee break.

But, it’s really fun to load a project and it comes up really quick. I am overall liking the direction once a few kinks are ironed out, this is gonna be a great time to be looking at new macs again with a more mature version of this app.

@dgburns yeah, I have a strong suspicion you're right about all of that. It's definitely a mixed bag for me so far - a lot of things finally feel nice and fluid especially running at 4k - but a lot of other GUI issues are popping up at random. As is usually the cycle with Logic, some steps forward and some back with a new version, but they tend to get ironed out. Gonna do some more experimenting between 10.4.4 and 10.4.5...

And another weird one: muting/un-muting tracks doesn't gray out (or vice-versa) the track's regions until you select another track. Anyone else? This is on a fresh song with just 2 audio tracks in it, fresh prefs...

Top Bottom