What's new

Logic Pro 10.4.5 Update

Performance wise, the new update is fantastic. Incredible even.

I’ve set up a huge template, and my main issue now is a lack of track management features for large templates - such as searching for a track, and advanced showing/hiding.
If you build your template based on Logic user patches, you can use the Logic library, and there you can use their search function to include your own (non-Logic) libraries. Highly recommend this approach. To make things even more identifiable, use custom icons, and you will get a nice big (and resizable) image of that library in the Logic library window (not just the tiny icon you have on each track)

Advanced showing/hiding: personally, I have my user patches then saved as folder stacks (eg brass section) and in each folder stack I have libraries saved as summed stacks (eg Albion One), as summed stacks can be nested under folder stacks, under which are each of the user patches for that library. Then I have all of the tracks for a given section as a single group. Then, I have buttons on my XTouch set up to toggle show/hide group 1 (eg percussion), group 2 (eg strings), etc. That way, I can show/hide a whole section immediately, and then within that section, drop down folders/stacks to quickly get to what I need.

As I build a piece, I then hit 'H' (Show/Hide All), and unhide any used tracks. Then, by just pressing H, I can go from my full template, to only showing tracks currently in use on that piece.

I love the Logic update - I'd previously set up all this, but couldn't run it properly on my system, which was frustrating. Now, my template can be as large as needed (currently around 500 tracks) on my single machine with 1 SSD, and I can rapidly access anything (with the template taking just 1.8Gb RAM!! Incredible!) For me, this is my dream setup and I love using it.

Here's a screenshot with just my 'sketching' group visible (all others hidden): you can see the folder structure in the middle, and on the left the use of the Logic library for user patches, and the search bar. Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 12.20.30 PM.png

Last edited:
I have got an extensive amount of Logic patches, and make use of summing stacks, but unfortunately they don’t work nearly as fluidly (for me) as using visibility options in Cubase.

In Cubase, I have every track I need disabled and hidden, I like to start with what looks like a ‘blank’ project.

Using the CMD-F key command, a pop up box allows me to search for any track, show and enable it. It’s one click and so easy.

I’ve also set up a few Macros, that will show certain libraries at once. So if I fancy creating a Spitfire project, or a Orchestral Tools project, I press one key and the relevant tracks are in front of me. All from one template.

Of course Logic way out performs Cubase on my machine, no doubt about that. But workflow wise, Cubase still clinches it for me in this respect.

Ok, I can't comment on Cubase, since my last version was over 20 years ago!! But, for me, my Cubase-envy is over. Disable tracks was such a game-changing feature that I often considered moving to Cubase just for that. No longer! I'm not even sure what Apple could do to improve Logic at this point! If I was in the market for a computer, I would now buy a Mac purely for Logic - for me, it really is that good.

Also, all of what you mention is entirely doable now in Logic too. Not trying to persuade you, each to their preference, it's just that you asked how you would do this in Logic.

@Garry great setup tips. Feel free to post more screenshots.
I’d also like to see Logic have a track find feature. Everyone, please be sure to send Logic feedback with requests.

Are you using VEP at all with Logic? The update is great but still doesn’t solve the one cpu choking issue for me the way VEP does.

@Garry great setup tips. Feel free to post more screenshots.
I’d also like to see Logic have a track find feature. Everyone, please be sure to send Logic feedback with requests.

Are you using VEP at all with Logic? The update is great but still doesn’t solve the one cpu choking issue for me the way VEP does.

No, I'm not using VEP - I had strongly considered doing so before the update, but I no longer have a need for it.

My only other setup tips:
- make extensive use of screen sets: I have 9 different screen sets, so that I can quickly jump to what I need to focus on (eg piano roll, mixer, instrument panel, etc)
- if you're using logic user patches, make sure to give them unique names (not just unique path directory), otherwise, the correct patch will play, but it may show in the logic library directory as if it's playing the wrong one (it gets confused by patches of the same name in different directories)
- use Logic Colourizer from Creationauts to tweak the UI: the full version is pricey considering what it is ($40 just for simply changing colors!), but the demo version will let you tweak just the main page, which I use to enhance the selected track, and make it standout (see screenshot)
- use the browser window to quickly store chords and chord progressions (see right hand panel in screenshot): I created a project with a single chord on each track, based on a single major and its relative minor key: I have a number of extended chords for each scale degree for both C Major and A Minor, and can then use the transpose feature on a track to cover any key required (below you can see those I used for the 1st scale degree, and some of the 2nd. I can then very quickly create novel chord progressions, without needing that project to be open, but by just pulling in a track into my current project using the browser feature in Logic. I also similarly store chord progressions in the same way, which I imported from those available in Scaler and the Unison chord pack, and again store 1 per track. Need a ii-V-bIII-I? progression. No problem, just pull it in, and it's done! I have these for major/minor and diatonic and extended chords, so just 4 files to cover a good range of options for chord progressions. I have this window on a screenset, so I can quickly pull it up when needed, but it's otherwise out of the way.
- when using the new disabled tracks feature in Logic, set the link in the instrument window to single (purple), not multi (yellow) as I initially did: with it set to multi, the instrument window does not open when switching to a previously unloaded track, but when set to single it does.
- not strictly about setup, but the place I find the most useful, concise points on Logic are from Mikael Baggstrom here: his style is quirky, and won't be to everyone's taste, but I find his short videos really useful and learn something every time.

I'm certainly no Logic expert, but really like this setup now. Hopefully more experienced users can share additional tips they've been able to make better use of since the update?

Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 3.11.55 PM.png

Last edited:
Performance wise, the new update is fantastic. Incredible even.

I’ve set up a huge template, and my main issue now is a lack of track management features for large templates - such as searching for a track, and advanced showing/hiding.

As far as advanced showing/hiding are concerned, what I've done in my Lemur-based template is to maintain an internal array of hide groups with a value for their visible/hidden status. Then I have a row of buttons for filtering down to any one group, and the action on each button iterates over the internal array and toggles the state of each group that needs to be changed (both in the internal array and via group # toggle commands to Logic, which I've assigned in Logic's key command editor) in order to accomplish the desired visibility state. Additionally, I have "Hide Unused" and "Unhide All" buttons that leverage the existing Logic functionality, with the latter also updating the internal array in Lemur so that it remains in sync.

I do recall having needed to introduce a slight delay in between each group command, to give Logic time to respond so that it doesn't miss some of the toggle commands. So it isn't instantaneous ... depending upon the current state, it can take up to maybe half a second or so to reach the requested visibility state (mainly when going from "all rows visible" down to viewing only a specific group).

Note that this only works consistently if group hiding and unhiding are always done via the buttons in Lemur, so that the internal array remains in sync with Logic's state. But I've found that having those buttons in Lemur means I never have any inclination to change group visibility in any other way, so it hasn't presented any problem at all. I'm quite happy with this.

Last edited:

Exactly what has to happen sooner than later. I just finished a cue completely in cubase 10. Man did i miss my logic workflow especially when it comes to zooming and scrolling. But the search and track list configuration is great. You can get at least a track show/hide workflow going in logic if you use the 32 groups for that reason.

I proposed an enhancement request a long time ago and I’m confident that we will see something in that direction in a future update.

Thanks for the tips guys, and I don't want you to think I'm criticising Logic, I use is as much as I do Cubase. It's just that now it has such a robust disable/enable feature and increased track count, the next logical (ahem) step would be integrated track search.

Below is the functionality I'm trying to explain.

My Cubase template below has everything disabled and hidden. I press CMD-F and the search box pops up. It filters track names as I type.

I press enter and the track is unhidden, then I enable it.

Below is how my library templates work. I normally use a key command, but I'm using a Keyboard Maestro palette in this case as a demonstration.

All it's doing is using a logical preset that searches for tracks with a code at the start and unhides them.

Thanks for the tips guys, and I don't want you to think I'm criticising Logic, I use is as much as I do Cubase. It's just that now it has such a robust disable/enable feature and increased track count, the next logical (ahem) step would be integrated track search.

My Cubase template below has everything disabled and hidden. I press CMD-F and the search box pops up. It filters track names as I type.

Below is how my library templates work. I normally use a key command, but I'm using a Keyboard Maestro palette in this case as a demonstration.

All it's doing is using a logical preset that searches for tracks with a code at the start and unhides them.

Yes, I do concur with the wish that Logic had something like this track name search/filtering, too. I use OSCulator's LPX plugin for bi-directional communication between Logic and Lemur, but there is not a facility in there for doing direct track selection by name, so I couldn't even synthesize something like this with Lemur, much less without it.

If you are not a template person, you can save each software instrument you use as a patch in the Library and just add them to your project by creating empty software instruments. Complete with Scripts and Articulation Sets. Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 7.16.08 AM (2).png

No, I'm not using VEP - I had strongly considered before the update, but I no longer have a need for it.

- make extensive use of screen sets: I have 9 different screen sets, so that I can quickly jump to what I need to focus on (eg piano roll, mixer, instrument panel, etc)
- if you're using logic user patches, make sure to give them unique names (not just unique path directory), otherwise, the correct patch will play, but it may show in the logic library directory as if it's playing the wrong one (it gets confused by patches of the same name in different directories)
- use Logic Colourizer from Creationauts to tweak the UI: the full version is pricey considering what it is ($40 just for simply changing colors!), but the demo version will let you tweak just the main page, which I use to enhance the selected track, and make it standout (see screenshot)
- use the browser window to quickly store chords and chord progressions (see right hand panel in screenshot): I created a project with a single chord on each track, based on a single major and its relative minor key: I have a number of extended chords for each scale degree for both C Major and A Minor, and can then use the transpose feature on a track to cover any key required (below you can see those I used for the 1st scale degree, and some of the 2nd. I can then very quickly create novel chord progressions, without needing that project to be open, but by just pulling in a track into my current project using the browser feature in Logic. I also similarly store chord progressions in the same way, which I imported from those available in Scaler and the Unison chord pack, and again store 1 per track. Need a ii-V-bIII-I? progression. No problem, just pull it in, and it's done! I have these for major/minor and diatonic and extended chords, so just 4 files to cover a good range of options for chord progressions. I have this window on a screenset, so I can quickly pull it up when needed, but it's otherwise out of the way.
- when using the new disabled tracks feature in Logic, set the link in the instrument window to single (purple), not multi (yellow) as I initially did: with it set to multi, the instrument window does not open when switching to a previously unloaded track, but when set to single it does.
- not strictly about setup, but the place I find the most useful, concise points on Logic are from Mikael Baggstrom here: his style is quirky, and won't be to everyone's taste, but I find his short videos really useful and learn something every time.

I'm certainly no Logic expert, but really like this setup now. Hopefully more experienced users can share additional tips they've been able to make better use of since the update?

Some fantastic ideas here, thanks for writing this out!

Search is definitely very nice (and better implemented) in Cubase than Logic. Actually, your screen capture videos make it look really, very cool! If that was available in Logic, then yes, I'd definitely use it.

That said, it's not a feature I feel a real need for (as I did with disable tracks), since I can get to any track using the template I described, in seconds (if not quite as impressively as you can in Cubase!). Whether I type to search/enable it, or just use my groups/folders doesn't matter too much, but I can appreciate, if you've gotten used to that feature being available in Cubase, you may feel its absence more in Logic.

Last edited:
Just as one simple example of a Scripter 10.4.5 problem, try this simple test in Scripter:

Code:
    var firstNote = new NoteOn;
    firstNote.pitch = 24;
    firstNote.trace();
    var secondNote = new NoteOn;
    firstNote.trace();

The above code traces the firstNote object twice. It should be the same both times, but notice that values from the secondNote object are overwritten over the firstNote object for inexplicable reason.

Code:
Script evaluated successfully!
[NoteOn channel:1 pitch:24 [C0] velocity:100]
[NoteOn channel:1 pitch:100 [E6] velocity:100]
Yep. that's the type of data corruption I'm seeing as well.

Search is definitely very nice (and better implemented) in Cubase than Logic. Actually, your screen capture videos make it look really, very cool! If that was available in Logic, then yes, I'd definitely use it.

That said, it's not a feature I feel a real need for (as I did with disable tracks), since I can get to any track using the template I described, in seconds (if not quite as impressively as you can in Cubase!). Whether I type to search/enable it, or just use my groups/folders doesn't matter too much, but I can appreciate, if you've gotten used to that feature being available in Cubase, you may feel its absence more in Logic.
That being said Logic's library and file browsing is far superior to Cubase's clunky, overly complicated and slow MediaBay...

Yes, I do concur with the wish that Logic had something like this track name search/filtering, too. I use OSCulator's LPX plugin for bi-directional communication between Logic and Lemur, but there is not a facility in there for doing direct track selection by name, so I couldn't even synthesize something like this with Lemur, much less without it.

I got success remotely selecting tracks in Logic with that Osculator plugin, because it's the only plugin that transmits OSC messages generated from within Logic (that I'm aware of). I was able to select tracks by name by having buttons on the Lemur send out an OSC message that specified the track name - even if you moved that track anywhere in the arrange page.

But it's a huge undertaking with a large template, and track names need to be unique and within the OSC spec.

And it gets ugly because you need to use the controller assignments, one per entry, which can't be stored outside of the pref file. Also, it takes forever to build, and I stopped after about 50 tracks, because it got slower the more tracks I added. Dead end for the moment, but it points to the fact that Logic can send out OSC messages that can be interpreted, such as track name and track number.

The other consideration became how to logically lay out all those buttons on the Lemur, and is it really a time saver? Group hides is better for now.

It is also possible to remotely select tracks within Cubase with Lemur (with midi message). But I haven't found a way of scrolling that track into view elegantly. It's also long and painful to setup. What I did as a stupid fix was command a 'track down' followed by a 'track up' command which puts the track you want either at the top or the bottom of the screen. That's three commands inside the logical preset, lol.

Track search is better imho

I got success remotely selecting tracks in Logic with that Osculator plugin, because it's the only plugin that transmits OSC messages generated from within Logic (that I'm aware of). I was able to select tracks by name by having buttons on the Lemur send out an OSC message that specified the track name - even if you moved that track anywhere in the arrange page.

Can I ask which OSCulator/OSC command you used? Are you talking about something provided by the OSCulator control surface plugin for Logic, I assume? From the documentation on that plugin, there is a /logic/track/name OSC command, but it is not bidirectional ... it only sends that message from Logic to the external OSC device, and cannot be sent in the other direction.

Can I ask which OSCulator/OSC command you used? Are you talking about something provided by the OSCulator control surface plugin for Logic, I assume? From the documentation on that plugin, there is a /logic/track/name OSC command, but it is not bidirectional ... it only sends that message from Logic to the external OSC device, and cannot be sent in the other direction.

It was a while back, I can go look when I have a sec.

Logic will respond to the incoming OSC message once you set up each track in the controller assignments window. It's not fun.

Again the problem is managing all those tracks on such a small iPad screen.

There's that guy who used to work at Motu that has something similar for around 500 bucks, doesn't it dynamically know your track layout? Can't recall his name, he's posted here on Vi-Control...

No, I'm not using VEP - I had strongly considered doing so before the update, but I no longer have a need for it.

I absolutely agree on the benfit of screen sets, but unfortunately, 10.4.5 still looses the stored sets when workinßg on two monitors after a few hours of work and puts everything on one screen.
Some smaller issues with ARTzID and some strange behaviors that might be caused by new prefs after tje update. But the performance boost is great and that is the most important thing.

I absolutely agree on the benfit of screen sets, but unfortunately, 10.4.5 still looses the stored sets when workinßg on two monitors after a few hours of work and puts everything on one screen.

I don't know why you might be having that problem, because that isn't the case for me: my screen sets also go over 2 screens, and I've never had any issues, either with this update, or any other; no matter how long the screens are on. Perhaps you haven't locked your screenset? Perhaps it's an issue with your graphics card, or screen switching off after a certain period? It's not a Logic issue though.

Top Bottom