What's new

Logic Pro 10.4.5 Update

The only one that really sucked was 10.4.3 and even they acknowledged it by releasing a quick update. Way too many moving parts in these rigs. I'm pretty leary of moving to Mojave but feel I better do it before the next major OS and then it disappears. I miss the old days of being able to download the combo updater and always get back to something that worked fairly quickly.
What was wrong with 10.4.3? Not that I'm a power user, but I'm still on it and I've noticed more bugs in previous versions. Should I upgrade to 10.4.4? This latest update sounds great, but I'm nervous as I'm on a Hackintosh and the last time I tried to install High Sierra its performance was abysmal.

That is very painful :) Ultrabeat desperately needs to be updated.

Just pointing it out.

I personally don't use it or any drum machine-style thing, I play drum parts in like everything else. My first MIDI setup was a Yamaha DX-7, hardware sequencer, and drum machine. I programmed patterns in the drum machine *once* before making an A/B MIDI switch between it and the DX-7 so I could play drum parts on the machine's pads into the sequencer's single MIDI input. My brain just doesn't work in patterns.

My take on Ultrabeat is that it's intentionally cheesy, and updating it would be putting cheese on top of cheese. :)

What was wrong with 10.4.3? Not that I'm a power user, but I'm still on it and I've noticed more bugs in previous versions. Should I upgrade to 10.4.4? This latest update sounds great, but I'm nervous as I'm on a Hackintosh and the last time I tried to install High Sierra its performance was abysmal.

Logic 10.4.3 had an issue where it would throw up an error saying the files were unreadable or something like that. Basically made it so you couldn't load sessions.
It wasn't an isolated issue, lots of people had it. That was the only time I had to go back a version, and 10.4.4 has been solid but I'm starting to get enough occasional weirdness and random crashes that I think it's time to install Mojave.

Mojave on my Hack is great, really like the dark mode. Logic 10.4.5 good so far but I'm far from a power user......yet.

Logic 10.4.3 had an issue where it would throw up an error saying the files were unreadable or something like that. Basically made it so you couldn't load sessions.
It wasn't an isolated issue, lots of people had it. That was the only time I had to go back a version, and 10.4.4 has been solid but I'm starting to get enough occasional weirdness and random crashes that I think it's time to install Mojave.
Ah, I see. Come to think of it I did run into that problem once. I think I just imported all my data into a new session, but it would be a huge pain if I had to do that with multiple projects. I think at the time 4.3 was new and I didn't even know it was a bug.
Mojave on my Hack is great, really like the dark mode. Logic 10.4.5 good so far but I'm far from a power user......yet.
Nice! What videocard are you running? I think the last time I looked it seemed like I would need to upgrade.

Ah, I see. Come to think of it I did run into that problem once. I think I just imported all my data into a new session, but it would be a huge pain if I had to do that with multiple projects. I think at the time 4.3 was new and I didn't even know it was a bug.

Nice! What videocard are you running? I think the last time I looked it seemed like I would need to upgrade.
I'm using the Sapphire 11265-05-20G Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB recommended on the TonyMacX86 site. Flawless install, no issues...

There is a funny bug I've been noticing; I wonder if anybody else has experienced this?

Now that "only plugins needed for project playback" is enabled by default on a per-project basis, one multi instrument channel track connected in the Environment to two instrument channels only activates the first one.

In other words, here's my specific case:

Multi Instrument "Violins" connects to Channel A ("Violins I") and Channel B ("Violins II") - this is so I can use both as a single section but have the option to split them out if necessary.

In 10.4.5 with "only plugins needed for project playback" enabled, channel A ("Violins I") plays but channel B (Violins II") is silent on play after project load. Toggling the multi instrument track on/off, or selecting a different articulation, enables channel B.

In 10.4.4 and before, and 10.4.5 with "only plugins needed for project playback" disabled, both tracks work as expected on play after project load.

...I hope that makes sense :P

Can anybody else reproduce this? It's consistent on my rig.

If Logic is searching the tracks for events and there's nothing to 'see' the instrument isn't switched on. Seems logical to me rather than a bug because your B-section track is empty. If you want it to load you could place a dummy event on that track or - instead of the environment connection - put A and B into a track stack. That way you can record on the summing track playing A and B simultaneously or each of its own on the instrument track.

Has anyone noticed that Beat Mapping in 10.4.5 doesn’t seem to be working properly?
YES!!! I was trying to create a tempo map for a video yesterday and beat mapping would intermittently stop working. It's hard to describe the issue and harder to reliably trigger it. Basically my usual process is making/selecting scene markers then clicking/dragging in the beat mapping track. After making a few changes, clicking in the beat mapping track wouldn't do anything. I'd then close and reopen the project and it would work as normal.

Is this similar to your issue?

Oh no, now I'm inspired to generate mindless crap:

Ooh baby, c'mon won't you give it me tonight.
With super fasting loading times, yeah I'm feelin' alright,
Templates that were gigabytes, now so very small,
With this super smooth GUI, babe we'll be rockin this damn hall.

So come on baby, let's go crazy, see what it can do,
Mojave or Sierra, its the DAW that's right for you.
So come on baby, let's go crazy, we can make it sweet honey,
And with lyrics as crap this, we're gonna make a ton of money!

Repeat x500 (or until YouTube/iTunes/Spotify is no longer monetizing replays).

Calm down there Tiger :)

Okay, so I've now finished replicating my Cubase disabled track template in Logic. They are almost identical with regards the number of VI's and both run to just over 600 instrument tracks.

It’s not a completely like for like comparison though. There are a few differences, primarily the use of the stock EQ etc in each DAW.

On loading up each template, the results are:

Cubase
1.7GB RAM
25% CPU at rest.

Logic
727MB RAM
5.2% CPU at rest.

I’m yet to put Logic through it’s paces by starting a live project, but so far it’s looking promising.

If Logic is searching the tracks for events and there's nothing to 'see' the instrument isn't switched on. Seems logical to me rather than a bug because your B-section track is empty. If you want it to load you could place a dummy event on that track or - instead of the environment connection - put A and B into a track stack. That way you can record on the summing track playing A and B simultaneously or each of its own on the instrument track.
Sure, but I’m talking about when playing things in. Both channels (with their respective plugins) are off, but then only one works, when performing a part with the option enabled (thus making them both "necessary for playback"). That seems like a bug to me.

Last edited:
YES!!! I was trying to create a tempo map for a video yesterday and beat mapping would intermittently stop working. It's hard to describe the issue and harder to reliably trigger it. Basically my usual process is making/selecting scene markers then clicking/dragging in the beat mapping track. After making a few changes, clicking in the beat mapping track wouldn't do anything. I'd then close and reopen the project and it would work as normal.

Is this similar to your issue?

Yes, sounds very similar — and it’s inconsistent to the point whereby Beat Mapping is currently unreliable, and thus, unusable. I’m sure Apple will deal with this soon, but, as with any updates, one (me) should never update in the middle of a project (it’s just that this update is generally so robust and excellent).

I know someone else that upgraded their hackintosh to Mojave and saw real performance improvements, but make sure you have a metal card.

Top Bottom