What's new

Logic Pro 10.4.5 Update

Heinigoldstein

No, I'm not using VEP - I had strongly considered doing so before the update, but I no longer have a need for it.

My only other setup tips:
- make extensive use of screen sets: I have 9 different screen sets, so that I can quickly jump to what I need to focus on (eg piano roll, mixer, instrument panel, etc)
- if you're using logic user patches, make sure to give them unique names (not just unique path directory), otherwise, the correct patch will play, but it may show in the logic library directory as if it's playing the wrong one (it gets confused by patches of the same name in different directories)
- use Logic Colourizer from Creationauts to tweak the UI: the full version is pricey considering what it is ($40 just for simply changing colors!), but the demo version will let you tweak just the main page, which I use to enhance the selected track, and make it standout (see screenshot)
- use the browser window to quickly store chords and chord progressions (see right hand panel in screenshot): I created a project with a single chord on each track, based on a single major and its relative minor key: I have a number of extended chords for each scale degree for both C Major and A Minor, and can then use the transpose feature on a track to cover any key required (below you can see those I used for the 1st scale degree, and some of the 2nd. I can then very quickly create novel chord progressions, without needing that project to be open, but by just pulling in a track into my current project using the browser feature in Logic. I also similarly store chord progressions in the same way, which I imported from those available in Scaler and the Unison chord pack, and again store 1 per track. Need a ii-V-bIII-I? progression. No problem, just pull it in, and it's done! I have these for major/minor and diatonic and extended chords, so just 4 files to cover a good range of options for chord progressions. I have this window on a screenset, so I can quickly pull it up when needed, but it's otherwise out of the way.
- when using the new disabled tracks feature in Logic, set the link in the instrument window to single (purple), not multi (yellow) as I initially did: with it set to multi, the instrument window does not open when switching to a previously unloaded track, but when set to single it does.
- not strictly about setup, but the place I find the most useful, concise points on Logic are from Mikael Baggstrom here: his style is quirky, and won't be to everyone's taste, but I find his short videos really useful and learn something every time.

I'm certainly no Logic expert, but really like this setup now. Hopefully more experienced users can share additional tips they've been able to make better use of since the update?

View attachment 20773
I absolutely agree on the benfit of screen sets, but unfortunately, 10.4.5 still looses the stored sets when workinßg on two monitors after a few hours of work and puts everything on one screen.
Some smaller issues with ARTzID and some strange behaviors that might be caused by new prefs after tje update. But the performance boost is great and that is the most important thing.

Garry

I absolutely agree on the benfit of screen sets, but unfortunately, 10.4.5 still looses the stored sets when workinßg on two monitors after a few hours of work and puts everything on one screen.
I don't know why you might be having that problem, because that isn't the case for me: my screen sets also go over 2 screens, and I've never had any issues, either with this update, or any other; no matter how long the screens are on. Perhaps you haven't locked your screenset? Perhaps it's an issue with your graphics card, or screen switching off after a certain period? It's not a Logic issue though.

Nick Batzdorf

I don't know why you might be having that problem, because that isn't the case for me: my screen sets also go over 2 screens, and I've never had any issues, either with this update, or any other;
I haven't noticed any issues either. However, my 2-screen screensets have separate windows on each monitor, so maybe that's the difference?

There have been issues with multiple-monitor screensets in the past, but they fixed them a few versions back.

Heinigoldstein

I haven't noticed any issues either. However, my 2-screen screensets have separate windows on each monitor, so maybe that's the difference?

There have been issues with multiple-monitor screensets in the past, but they fixed them a few versions back.
Lucky you, they did not for me. My sets are locked, have different windows and it happend on different host computers, so I'm pretty sure it's a Logic thing.

But.....importing screen sets 2-3 times a day is not that painfull ;)

Heinigoldstein

It appeared with my old template and with my new one. It also happens in smaller projects build from scratch. It depends on how often I switch between the sets. The ones I use most are the ones that disappear. My next hope is called Mojave, but I'm not too optimistic.

Nick Batzdorf

Not sure about the resolutions
It doesn't matter, actually. I checked on my machine, and it doesn't care whether the second monitor is set to 1080p (as it normally is, 5' away) or 4K.

Plus you have an iMac. It sounds like this is real.

And thinking about it, I don't stay on the screensets that use multiple monitors very long, so my experience probably isn't relevant.

pkm

Just curious - which key command are you using? In Logic 10.4.5, the "Toggle Track On" command (Option-M) does not work properly. It only turns off tracks. It doesn't turn them on.
What's weird is that it will turn tracks on or off, but only one time per track. If you toggle a track on with the key command, the key command won't toggle it back off, nor will it toggle it back on if you manually toggle it off first. It will still work on any other track in your project, but only once each.

samphony

You have to hold option/alt and then click the on/off button in the track header to disable one or multiple selected tracks. There is no key command yet and tracks headers don’t get opaque like in other daws.

Vik

Scandi Member
What's weird is that it will turn tracks on or off, but only one time per track. If you toggle a track on with the key command, the key command won't toggle it back off, nor will it toggle it back on if you manually toggle it off first. It will still work on any other track in your project, but only once each.
Maybe Apple wants to make it difficult to disable the track by accident. That could trigger hours of tech support work. :) There's also a menu option for activating a track, but not for deactivating it. IMO there should at least be a menu option for disabling a track, but I'd prefer an optional dedicated button for enable/disable.

Garry

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/keyboard-maestro-for-workflow-boost.83205/
Thanks for the tips guys, and I don't want you to think I'm criticising Logic, I use is as much as I do Cubase. It's just that now it has such a robust disable/enable feature and increased track count, the next logical (ahem) step would be integrated track search.

Below is the functionality I'm trying to explain.

My Cubase template below has everything disabled and hidden. I press CMD-F and the search box pops up. It filters track names as I type.

I press enter and the track is unhidden, then I enable it.

Below is how my library templates work. I normally use a key command, but I'm using a Keyboard Maestro palette in this case as a demonstration.

All it's doing is using a logical preset that searches for tracks with a code at the start and unhides them.

Hey @jonathanwright - you mentioned using Keyboard Maestro in Cubase in your video - this looks really interesting. Do you also use this in Logic, and if so, what do you use it to do? I hadn't heard about this before, and watched a couple of YouTube videos to see if I could get a sense of it, but there's not a lot of info on it being used in Logic. I realize it's more of a general tool than just for DAWs, but is it worth the $40 if you just plan to use it for Logic, and if so, is it easy to use?

EDIT: I opened another thread here to broaden this topic out on it's own, as it's less to do with the Logic update on this thread.

Last edited:

dgburns

splunge
the price is a joke, sorry. :)
Well, actually -while it’s hard to swallow, given that I have a quasi-complicated half working roll your own version working, it took me about 4 years to make, and it’s still not done, and not being dynamic, will never be.

I think the DIY version at 500 bucks is interesting. If I had a 500k plus contract upcoming, I wouldn’t flinch at the pro version. It’s worth my time alone.

Top Bottom