What's new

Logic MIDI sync issues

StevenBolar

So I have a weird problem going on with syncing of a midi file. I am recording a band live while at the same time the keyboard player is recording the midi of their performance into logic so that I can switch out the sound during the mixing process. When I get all the stems into another logic session and then bring in the keyboards midi and match up the beginning of the recorded audio from the keyboard and the midi file I notice as it moves throughout the 15 or so minutes of recording the midi is slowly drifting away from the recorded audio of the keyboard. Midi record was done at 120 and my mixing session is at 120 so that the midi should in theory be locked into my audio without issue. I even checked both logic sessions and the frame rates are both set to 25. So in order to get the midi to actually stay in sync I found I had to pull my tempo down to 119.9898 bpm. Now I'm just curious what on earth could be causing this. In the past the keyboard player would record their midi into garageband and the midi I got from that had no problem syncing but the last couple of times the keyboard player used logic and that's when the trouble started. Please Help!!

OP
S

StevenBolar

bumping this...really hoping someone could help me understand how my midi file wouldn't match up to the recorded audio performance

jcrosby

So I have a weird problem going on with syncing of a midi file. I am recording a band live while at the same time the keyboard player is recording the midi of their performance into logic so that I can switch out the sound during the mixing process. When I get all the stems into another logic session and then bring in the keyboards midi and match up the beginning of the recorded audio from the keyboard and the midi file I notice as it moves throughout the 15 or so minutes of recording the midi is slowly drifting away from the recorded audio of the keyboard. Midi record was done at 120 and my mixing session is at 120 so that the midi should in theory be locked into my audio without issue. I even checked both logic sessions and the frame rates are both set to 25. So in order to get the midi to actually stay in sync I found I had to pull my tempo down to 119.9898 bpm. Now I'm just curious what on earth could be causing this. In the past the keyboard player would record their midi into garageband and the midi I got from that had no problem syncing but the last couple of times the keyboard player used logic and that's when the trouble started. Please Help!!
I was gonna suggest frame rate but looks like you've checked that. Wish I had an answer for you!!!

Maybe they have Adaptive tempo on? Maybe it's something to do with your adapt tempo settings? I'd see if anyone at Logic Pro Help might have an answer if you haven't posted there already...

Ashermusic

Obviously, this shouldn’t happen.
1. If you lock the audio files to SMPTE, does the the sync still drift?
2. If you select an audio region and adapt the project tempo to the region, do you see different tempi in the Tempo List?

OP
S

StevenBolar

appreciate the responses fellas. From everything I can tell the issue is in the midi file itself. But i will try locking the audio to SMPTE to see what that does. I'm recording a full set of music so that's why i just left both DAW's (the one recording the midi and the one recording the audio) set to 120bpm so that it should be a simple process to keep everything in place. I haven't asked on the logic pro help forum yet...that might be the best place to ask about this. cheers

Top Bottom