What's new

Logic/Kontakt Template : Don’t Load Instruments ?

GingerMaestro

Hi

I’m trying to start setting up a basic orchestral Template in Logic, but can’t seem to figure out how to set it up so it DOESN’T load all the Instruments each time, as I only want to load what I want to use for a particular project i.e. to save ram. I understand Cubase has a “disable” tracks function, but the “freeze tracks” in Logic doesn’t seem to do the same thing. Is there a feature in Kontakt that could do this maybe ? Or am I missing something in Logic ? Thank you in anticipation.

Hi,
Since the last release (10.4.5) Logic does this automatically if no region is found on track.
Using Alt+power off (disable) also unloads the track and frees memory.
Freeze doesn’t free memory : it just renders the track to save CPU but the instrument is still loaded.
There is a couple of related topics lately on Vi-C.

Thank you @Alex Fraser and @LowweeK It appears I have 10.4.4 on my computer, so updating to 10.4.5 right now. Do either of you use VEP ? It seems that is very popular when setting up templates like this, however looks quite complicated for a beginner like myself. Perhaps that's something for further down the line. Thanks again

Thank you @Alex Fraser and @LowweeK It appears I have 10.4.4 on my computer, so updating to 10.4.5 right now. Do either of you use VEP ? It seems that is very popular when setting up templates like this, however looks quite complicated for a beginner like myself. Perhaps that's something for further down the line. Thanks again
No problem. The "disabled tracks" style template is kind of an alternative to the VEP route. I'd see how far you get with Logic first and if disabling tracks doesn't suit you, then look at VEP.

Also you might get the best out of the logic disabled kontakt instrument tracks approach (phew what a long phrase)
If play around to put either each articulation on its own instance of kontakt or if you use the articulation feature put articulations of one instrument like violins 1 of library X on one instrument track. And if you want to access an articulation of that same instrument on its own track you can always

1. Select the track in the Tracks area.
  2. Do one of the following: Choose Track> Other > New Track With SameChannel (or use the corresponding key command). Option-click the Duplicate Track button above the track headers.

Freeze doesn’t free memory : it just renders the track to save CPU but the instrument is still loaded.

It does since 10.4.5! Although there’s a bug (if you don’t save first) where if you un-freeze the instrument it loads it back in default state.

Top Bottom