What's new

Logic - Editing the same CC across multiple regions simultaneously.

mybadmemory

Is there really no way of drawing/editing a CC in multiple regions simultaneously? I’m not talking about viewing multiple lanes of different CCs in the same region, but about editing the same CC (for example modulation) in multiple regions. :)

If I open the piano roll for multiple regions I can edit the midi notes for all of them at the same time, but the CC editing only affects the selected track rather than all of the regions.

Last edited:
You can.

Just be sure all regions of a track are selected and then open the Piano roll window.
Here you can edit all used CCs at once.

You can.

Just be sure all regions of a track are selected and then open the Piano roll window.
Here you can edit all used CCs at once.
How? When I draw it only draws/edits the CC for the selected track, regardless of how many regions are selected and displaying. Also if I select all the CC values it only selects the ones from the selected track too.

How? When I draw it only draws/edits the CC for the selected track, regardless of how many regions are selected and displaying. Also if I select all the CC values it only selects the ones from the selected track too.
Maybe i've got you wrong. I meant it displays the values for all regions at a time. I usually edit things at one place at a time.
To raise values etc. in all regions at once there has been a thread recently.

Maybe i've got you wrong. I meant it displays the values for all regions at a time. I usually edit things at one place at a time.
To raise values etc. in all regions at once there has been a thread recently.
Yes, i meant editing as in selecting, raising/lowering, and drawing in all selected regions simultaneously. :)

Is that possible?

Yes, i meant editing as in selecting, raising/lowering, and drawing in all selected regions simultaneously. :)

Is that possible?
If all lanes are selected (i.e. appear in white) then you can raise/lower/compress them all at once, yes.
However, i don't know how you want to draw with one point at different places. Drawing means putting the mouse on one specific position.

If all lanes are selected (i.e. appear in white) then you can raise/lower/compress them all at once, yes.
However, i don't know how you want to draw with one point at different places. Drawing means putting the mouse on one specific position.
I can’t even manage to get them all selected. If I try to select cc values in a lane showing data from multiple regions it still only selects the cc for the track I’m on.

I would like to select all of them and either raise lower them all, or draw a new curve that would overwrite the data in all regions at once rather than in one at a time. :)

Following: I've never exactly worked this out either.. :)

A slightly different way to go about it (or a hack!) would be to create a stack for the instruments in question. Where and when you want all the instruments in the stack to follow the same midi cc, simply place the data in the stack header.

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 13.27.22.png

I would like to select all of them and either raise lower them all, or draw a new curve that would overwrite the data in all regions at once rather than in one at a time. :)
Yes, this can be done. Turn Automation view On, make sure that the automation parameter you want to automate is in view, Marquee select the regions and section area you want to draw the automation on and then adjust the automation parameter on ONE of the regions to your liking (drag the line up/down/etc), you'll notice that all of the other regions will have the same automation applied.

Yes, this can be done. Turn Automation view On, make sure that the automation parameter you want to automate is in view, Marquee select the regions and section area you want to draw the automation on and then adjust the automation parameter on ONE of the regions to your liking (drag the line up/down/etc), you'll notice that all of the other regions will have the same automation applied.
Is this in the arrange window or the piano roll? This is exactly what I want to do (and try to do) in the piano roll automation lanes without getting it to work!

Is this in the arrange window or the piano roll? This is exactly what I want to do (and try to do) in the piano roll automation lanes without getting it to work!
This will only work in the Main Window (it's not called the Arrange Window anymore). By the way, this will work for both Track and Region automation. Region automation is the automation you would normally adjust in the Piano Roll (at the very bottom) but it's available in the Main Window as well.

This will only work in the Main Window (it's not called the Arrange Window anymore). By the way, this will work for both Track and Region automation. Region automation is the automation you would normally adjust in the Piano Roll (at the very bottom) but it's available in the Main Window as well.
Ah. To bad it can’t be done in the piano roll. I wonder why!

Ah. To bad it can’t be done in the piano roll. I wonder why!
Because the Piano Roll only supports one visible automation parameter at a time.

But why do you want to do it in the Piano Roll when it already works perfectly fine in the Main Window? You can still see all your MIDI notes in the Main Window anyway?

EDIT: Just in case you're wondering or didn't already know, Modulation = MIDI CC = visible as Region Automation in the Main Window. Modulation will not be visible if you have Track Automation in view.

Last edited:
Because the Piano Roll only supports one visible automation parameter at a time.

But why do you want to do it in the Piano Roll when it already works perfectly fine in the Main Window? You can still see all your MIDI notes in the Main Window anyway?
Because I might want to edit in multiple regions that are so far away from each other in a large template that they’re not visible at the same time in the main window. Or because I want to also edit the notes at the same time. :)

Because I might want to edit in multiple regions that are so far away from each other in a large template that they’re not visible at the same time in the main window. Or because I want to also edit the notes at the same time. :)
Hmmm ok

If the regions you want to edit are on separate tracks, I don’t think it’s possible to (CC) edit them simultaneously. But I’d very much like to be proven wrong :) and it would be a very handy feature to have, indeed. Alex Fraser’s suggestion above would be the only way I can think of, to do this task.

Last edited:
Is there really no way of drawing/editing a CC in multiple regions simultaneously?
Basically such multi selection editing can be used to increase/decrease the CC values.
It can be done easily by using the MIDI Transform editor. You just press Cmd+A to select all regions or use other techniques of selection after that you press a keycommand for the "Transform Set" Add/Sub (data 2).

I have published a lot of these tips before. Here is a link where I demonstrate "CC duplication". In your case you need to keep the transform "Mode" to default transform:

Here is another Video where I demonstrate how to process "specific" CC numbers. It is expected that you may have many CC numbers in the selected regions but you want to process say two CC# only.

Top Bottom