What's new

Logic AutoSampler: When to use XFade, Penrose, etc?

Wunderhorn

I wonder if anyone has a bit of inside to this:
When using AutoSampler for looped sounds (in this particular case acoustic recordings, not synth patches) I'd like to know in which situation would I choose "Search with XFade" versus "Penrose" or "Bi-Directional"?
I have not found proper (detailed) documentation on this, so maybe someone might know? Thanks in advance...

robh

If you search "Redmatica" on YouTube, I'm sure you'll find some useful info related to your question. Not exactly sure which video though. I think it's in one of the "Keymap Pro" ones. You probably already know that Apple bought out Redmatica several years ago and now we're seeing some of it - like the Penrose looping - show up in Logic.
It's been a while since I've tinkered with Redmatica's KeyMap Pro, but from what I recall, Penrose didn't work well with the material I was working with. I was manipulating an old Brass library that didn't have loops, and looping with Penrose created an "ambient wash texture". It sounded interesting, but not what I was going for. If there is any perceivable room reverb in your samples, I would imagine that Bidirectional is also not the way to go. Best way to go is to try it all and see which gives you the best results.

Rob

OP
Wunderhorn

Wunderhorn

If you search "Redmatica" on YouTube, I'm sure you'll find some useful info related to your question. Not exactly sure which video though. I think it's in one of the "Keymap Pro" ones. You probably already know that Apple bought out Redmatica several years ago and now we're seeing some of it - like the Penrose looping - show up in Logic.
It's been a while since I've tinkered with Redmatica's KeyMap Pro, but from what I recall, Penrose didn't work well with the material I was working with. I was manipulating an old Brass library that didn't have loops, and looping with Penrose created an "ambient wash texture". It sounded interesting, but not what I was going for. If there is any perceivable room reverb in your samples, I would imagine that Bidirectional is also not the way to go. Best way to go is to try it all and see which gives you the best results.

Rob

Yes, I noticed the same thing when re-sampling an acoustic instrument. I guess I just have to experiment. Would be nice if Apple would explain this in their online manual so we don't have to spend so much time figuring it out...

Saxer

I find that "Search with XFade" works very good for pads and ensemble sounds. But even when I set the range from "loop start at 20% and loop end to 90%" the loops are mostly set very short. So for evolving pads or ensembles with changing vibrato there's often only one vibrato cycle looped which is immediately audible. It's easy to drag the loop points apart because the XFade smoothes it out anyway. But there's a lot to drag for more complex sounds with hundred of samples. Is there a way to force the Autosampler to make the loop "as long as possible"?

Because of that "Penrose" is my choice mostly. The loops are longer and without the XFade it also works for solo instruments which tend to sound like two instruments in the crossfade.

For ensemble sounds it's easy to set a crossfade manually in one go for all selected samples if it's necessary to smooth the loop points.

Top Bottom