1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic audio regions - What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)' started by JT, Mar 12, 2018.

1. JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    I've got an audio region in a track where the audio region needs to be used 2 times. I copied the audio region to a new track and then converted it to a new audio file. AFAIK, I can now make individual edits on each audio region independently. Now I need to trim the length of the copy. I take the scissors and cut, then I select the un-needed region and press delete.

But when I playback, the entire audio region plays, ignoring what I just cut. Now I take the pointer and grab the right end point of the audio region and drag to the right. The part that I thought was cut off, is still there, but it's grayed out.

I know it's me, I'm missing something here. What am I doing wrong?

JT

2. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles

If you want to zip it and email it to me I will take look.

3. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    No, you aren't doing anything wrong but your understanding of it is incorrect. All audio editing in the workspace (and the Track Editor) is non-destructive. So when you cut a region, all you are saying to Logic is "only look at that section of the region." The gray is just showing you what part of the region you are not choosing to be played back. When you then drag it to the right you are now telling it, "look at more of the region."

Only in the File editor do you do destructive audio editing.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    tav.one likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    JT

JT Senior Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Midwest
    Thank you Jay, that explanation helped. It's working now.

5. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Glad to have been helpful.