Logic 10.3 is here

whinecellar

Jim Daneker
I was wondering your reason for using a MacBook pro as the nerve center in your setup? Do you have a different template for use when traveling, or it's not needed to be portable so not really an issue?
Oddly enough, the only reason I use the MB Pro as my main machine is because it's the only Mac I have at the moment that can drive a big 4k display at full resolution. I do use this machine when touring as well, so that's a nice bonus - but really, it comes down to the 4k capability. Like everyone else though, I'm hoping to see a new Mac Pro sometime this decade... when that happens, I'll probably make the switch.

Soundhound

I see, thanks makes perfect sense, I've seen your posts regarding your 4k. I'm in the waiting for godot/mac pro boat as well. :)

Oddly enough, the only reason I use the MB Pro as my main machine is because it's the only Mac I have at the moment that can drive a big 4k display at full resolution. I do use this machine when touring as well, so that's a nice bonus - but really, it comes down to the 4k capability. Like everyone else though, I'm hoping to see a new Mac Pro sometime this decade... when that happens, I'll probably make the switch.

Shad0wLandsUK

I'm not necessarilty experiencing more crashes with Logic X 10.3 but I sure am as my template gets larger.
So how big is big? I just shake my head in amazement at those of you who are running 1000 track templates.
Does each track contain only one articulation?

I'm running the latest versions of MacOS, Logic, Kontakt, VEPro on a single 2016 12 core, Mac Pro with 128 gigs of ram. All of my vi's are on (8) external one TB Samsung 850 pro SSDs via Thunderbolt 2. I'm also using ARTzID so each instance of Kontakt may contain 6-8 different articulations.

I cannot get my template larger than 65 or so tracks. I just finished building a 120 track template with mostly Spitfire and Orchestral Tools vi's and either Logic or VEPro crashes every time I hit play. I had to keep deleting tracks in Logic and instances in VEPro to get them to stop crashing. Interestingly enough the Mac is only running at about 50% CPU and only using about 60 gigs of the 128 gigs of available ram. This does not appear to be the issue, I feel like I still have horse power to space, but this dog will still not hunt.

So my question is how big did your templates get before you started adding PC slaves to off load your vi's? I'm feeling that if I want to add more tracks my next move is buy a PC slave and off load some of the vi's.
I realize that there are a lot of variables but where is the tipping point?
I have to agree this is very concerning that you have 128GB of RAM and yet you cannot work the way you are trying to. I only 64GB of RAM in a 2012 Mac Pro 12-Core and I am able to run right up until I reach about 4GB of RAM out of that feee.

I do run my PC slave which is a quad-core i7 4770K with 32GB of RAM and on an ASUS Maximus VI Formula setup, running Windows 10 Pro.

I am thinking as Jay said that it is down to Kontakt. I have had crashes in Logic Pro X 10.3 as well, which have been when I am loading patches or tweaking things in Kontakt 5.6.5. Unlike in the past I am getting none of this when I am making changes or loading into PLAY 5.0.1.

Also thinking about going back to Kontakt 5.5 here because of this, but so far the issues are not huge.

Not to get into semantics..but you do mean 2013 Mac Pro right....and you are just saying you bought it in 2016....

vewilya

Did anybody notice the new "* Track(s) as Audio File" options?
Very cool when exporting STEMS etc

Edit: its part of any export dialog now which makes it easier to create filename patterns
Yes!! True! You really should check Edgar Rothermich's Logic Pro manuals! I was amazed at what I didn't know about this and other updates. Really recommended! He explains about this feature and others in incredible detail!

gpax

I'm gathering my personal list of 10.3 issues to report, all of which have been mentioned here and in other threads - except for one.

So far I have encountered the copy bug, disappearing elements, regions jumping to random locations/tracks when moving, and one very peculiar thing: I've had a velocity note "handle bar" in the lane editor intermittently play a random note when grabbing to move it. These shouldn't trigger notes at all, and it's not even the same pitch of the corresponding MIDI - I've encountered this about four times now. Has anyone else seen this?

resound

Has anyone else noticed this bug:

In the piano roll, if you click and drag the CC window all the way down to the bottom to close it, then immediately click and drag to make a selection of notes, the CC window opens up again and takes up the whole piano roll window.

Heinigoldstein

Has anyone else noticed this bug:

In the piano roll, if you click and drag the CC window all the way down to the bottom to close it, then immediately click and drag to make a selection of notes, the CC window opens up again and takes up the whole piano roll window.
Not exactly this, but it fits to all the weird behaviour I've experienced within the editors. And every day something new appears. I'm really hoping for at least a .....3.01 version soon !!!

Heinigoldstein

So, one last summery from my side on this massive thread:

I did a test the last two days to find out, if crashes and bugs are related to Sierra or older Macs. I pinched my wives late 2015 iMac with El Capitan and installed Logic, VE-Pro and the most important plugins from my original system, a late 2012 Mac Pro 12core with Sierra. The ladder I used as a 2nd slave during the test.

It´s running a little better, but there are still much more crashes than in 10.2.4, weird editing bugs, strange behavior of jumping back and for in the piano role and a quite a few more. So it doesn´t seem to be related to the OS.
It might be better, if you start a new project from scratch, but it´s not an option for me to build a new template for every update and I have quite a view long time projects I´ld need to finish too.

But my huge problem now is, how to tell my wive, that she doen´t get back her iMac, because, besides of the 10.3. bugs, this setup runs so much smoother :-(

Ashermusic

Not surprising that a 1.0 new version would have some bugs that a fourth iteration of the previous one did not. Patience, my children, help is on the way. :)

stonzthro

Yup, I think your right. Time to roll it back to 5.5.2
Did this solve your problem? I've recently come across this on projects that use local instances only. 20-30 plug-ins and I get beach balls but my RAM and CPU are nowhere NEAR the tipping point. Very frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:

wbacer

Work in Progress
Did this solve your problem? I've recently come across this on projects that use local instances only. 20-30 plug-ins and I get beach balls but my RAM and CPU are nowhere NEAR the tipping point. Very frustrating to say the least.
I did role back to 5.5.2, boy was that a lot of fun. NOT
Good thing I had all of my libraries backed up as quiet a few would not play in 5.5.2. since they were batch re-saved in Kontakt 6
All of the libraries are now playing in 5.5.2 and neither Logic nor VEPro are crashing but I still can't get Logic to play my empty template. As soon as I hit play I just get the spinning beach ball for about 2 minutes. I keep deleting tracks looking for the tipping point but still have not found it. All of my tracks have 10 or more articulations as I'm using ARTzID to switch between them. Maybe that's part of the problem, too many articulations in each instance of Kontakt. I dunno, I'll keep fiddling with it until I find the problem. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

wbacer

Work in Progress
Go figure, yesterday crash and burn.
Today all I did was fire the system back up and it all just flows like honey.
I really think rolling back to Kontakt 5.5.2 made the difference.
I also believe that computers and virtual instruments are a lot like real players, sometime they just get tired and need a nap. :sleep:

sourcefor

Yeah there is a bug when trying to drag regions they do Not drop where you intend to drop them and drag and drop loops is a bit screwy as well!

pdub

10.3.1 feels really smooth. Also the graphics issues I was having seem to have been addressed. Looks a bit darker now? Fonts are a little fatter?