1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Load PLAY before Kontakt

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by TeamLeader, Apr 17, 2015.

1. TeamLeader

TeamLeader Senior Member

Aug 28, 2004
    It used to be pretty important to always have your DAW load up the PLAY instruments prior to letting Kontakt load up its own tracks of instruments. Is this still the case?

Tweaking template this week. Yippee :?

2. Simon Ravn

Simon Ravn Senior Member

I have to load PLAY last for it to not crash (too often) in Vienna Ensemble Pro (Mac).

3. playz123

playz123 Senior Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Nanaimo, BC
    Yes, in general, it's still recommended.....although I don't always do it. :)

4. chibear

chibear Senior Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Manitoba, Canada
    I read about that. It apparently has something to do with the difference in memory management between Kontakt and Play. I mix them freely in my projects (PC) with no hiccups thus far. I also don't use VEP, so there may be a difference there.

5. JohnG

JohnG Senior Member

Nov 13, 2007
    California
    maybe they fixed it, but Kontakt had a memory manager thingy that reserved all the remaining memory for itself, that made it necessary to load last.

I think that is long gone, actually, but I still load Kontakt last.

6. NYC Composer

NYC Composer Senior Member

Jul 24, 2008
    The most success I've had has been achieved by not loading Kontakt and Play in the same instance of VEP.

7. OP
    OP
    TeamLeader

TeamLeader Senior Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Interesting that though some of us have problems with PLAY and Kontakt together, the solutions are different. I am going to try putting PLAY last in the template. I beliebve it already was on separate instantiations from all the Kontakt stuff.

Thanks folks
    Anyone else have any input?

8. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I've never hard issues with Play and never pay attention to the order I put it in in vep but I do keep Play and Kontakt instances separate. That's mostly do to managing the libraries that I use and not strictly to keep them separate.

9. Kejero

Kejero Senior Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ghent
    Yeah, I used to do it, but stopped doing it since Cubase 7 changed how the rack works: no fixed positions anymore. I used to reserve the first 10 slots for PLAY, but that stopped being possible, unless you actually load a VST into each slot. So I did some experiemnting and it seemed like that issue had been solved (using the latest PLAY 3 plugins, and the latest Kontakt 5).

10. Guy Rowland

Guy Rowland Senior Member

Dec 13, 2012
    I think it was only ever a Mac issue, and sounds like even that is historical now.

11. Kejero

Kejero Senior Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Ghent
    Oh no, it was definitely an issue on Windows too.

12. OP
    OP
    TeamLeader

TeamLeader Senior Member

Aug 28, 2004
    What is the current word on this folks? Load all PLAY stuff pre Kontakt loads? Or after? Or doesnt matter? Thanks!

13. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
  14. synthpunk

synthpunk Senior Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Just for future reference how do you Logic X guys do this btw ? Is there a way without rebuilding your template from scratch ?

15. Ashermusic

Ashermusic Senior Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles

Vienna Ensemble Pro.

16. milesito

milesito Senior Member

Jun 19, 2013
    I load Play before Kontakt to avoid issues...I even have empty play instances in my template in case i decide to add play libraries later :)

17. dpasdernick

dpasdernick Senior Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I load Kontakt first. Then I sketch out the song. Next I complete the song, mix it master it send it to the client, get paid cash the check and then finally I load Play.

Just kidding.

Geocranium likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    TeamLeader

TeamLeader Senior Member

Aug 28, 2004
    ROTFL

Thats sorta what I was afraid of!