What's new

List of Japanese Instruments VSTs

UVI World Suite has a bunch as well, that don't seem to yet have dedicated libraries.

When I checked a month or so ago, it looked like Sonica is in expansion mode, so we may see more from them over time.

I give a try to se if there's life still in this thread. :)

Anyone having experience with the PREMIER SOUND FACTORY Shakuhachi:

or the Suonopuro Shakuhachi:

Easy to play? Ok sounding?

In the demos I like the sounopuro. Just not totally convinced by the sound quality / micing.

Any other libraries better ?

The Chinese xiao flute could also be of interest.

I have the Premier Sound Factory Shakuhachi on my future purchases list, but as I got the Sonica Japan Shakuhachi already I don't feel like I need a second one so soon.

I'm very happy with the sonica japan one but it's quite expensive so I got it on a sale, which rarely takes place but I waited patiently for it to happen. I didn't know about the sounopuro, it sounds nice to me, also the ventus shakuhachi by impact soundworks if you don't want to expend much money.

In my case I'm mainly searching for genuine japanese instruments as my music has a japanese background to it and I don't want to mix other asian instruments on it, but I also like the japanese and some indian flutes as well, just don't have the money to get everything I would like to :)

I don't know either how good are the chinese kong instruments, but they offer a full orchestra containing several chinese wind instruments as well.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the sonica is the one I need. I have tried the ventus but it was just to much breath noise for my need.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the sonica is the one I need. I have tried the ventus but it was just to much breath noise for my need.

Yeah, at the end it's all about which sound you might need for your purposes. For me the sonic is great because it fits exactly what I'm looking for.

It's also a great library with a lot of articulations and very flexible, but if the sound doesn't fit your ideas it doesn't make sense. Maybe you want to look after some Bansuri libraries as well, it's a typical flute from India and similar to the Chinese Xiao or the Japanese Shinobue I think...

New Shakuhachi library today from Rast Sound:

I can't listen at work, so have no idea how good it is yet.

It sounds nice, but for me it is likely redundant as I have the one from ISW and also Spitfire's Andy Findon Kitbag as well as one from Samplephonics, as far as dedicated libraries go.

Yes, sounds interesting, depending on what one needs could be an interesting purchase as well, thanks for sharing it. By the way, I think another interesting purchase from that shop is the Asian Colours library, very unique sounds there

Still waiting for that elusive Sonica sale to purchase their Koto library.

oh yeah, I was lucky I could get three of their plugins on the 10th anniversary sale, I think it was around a year ago and since then the only sale I've seen was the introductory price for the remastered not & kabuki percussion library, which was for me too expensive even on sale

I'm picking up the Rast Shakuhachi for no other reason than the player they recorded... instantly recognizable to my ears... would like a deeper sample-set, but for the money it's a must have.

oh yeah, I was lucky I could get three of their plugins on the 10th anniversary sale, I think it was around a year ago and since then the only sale I've seen was the introductory price for the remastered not & kabuki percussion library, which was for me too expensive even on sale
I didn’t realize that they had released the Kontakt version percussion so thanks for posting this. The banner on their site still shows that it’s on sale. Is that correct? Is that the sale price?? I’m still considering it because I’ve wanted a set of that percussion for a while. But I thought I could save a few bucks by not having to purchase a separate player to use the content as it used to be.

I didn’t realize that they had released the Kontakt version percussion so thanks for posting this. The banner on their site still shows that it’s on sale. Is that correct? Is that the sale price?? I’m still considering it because I’ve wanted a set of that percussion for a while. But I thought I could save a few bucks by not having to purchase a separate player to use the content as it used to be.

the sale price was something around $230 or $240 I think and the regular is $320, which is what I am seeing currently on their website. They seem to have forgotten to take off that sale banner from the website.

Well, finally...a week AFTER I purchased Koto13! :)

"Happy New Year!
To welcome in 2020, we are running a modest, little sale.
Take advantage of this discount and pick up another Sonica Instruments title.

And keep an eye out for several major releases we have in store for 2020.

This year, again, we will continue to bring the sounds of Japanese instruments and the artistry of Japanese performers to musicians around the world.

Sonica Instruments Team

20% OFF ALL PRODUCTS
January 1 - 15, 2020

KOTO13 $240 → $192
TSUGARU SHMISEN $240 → $192
SHAKUHACHI $240 → $192
SHO $240 → $192
KABUKI & NOH PERCUSSION 96k Master Edition $320 → $256"

Well, finally...a week AFTER I purchased Koto13! :)

"Happy New Year!
To welcome in 2020, we are running a modest, little sale.
Take advantage of this discount and pick up another Sonica Instruments title.

And keep an eye out for several major releases we have in store for 2020.

This year, again, we will continue to bring the sounds of Japanese instruments and the artistry of Japanese performers to musicians around the world.

Sonica Instruments Team

20% OFF ALL PRODUCTS
January 1 - 15, 2020

KOTO13 $240 → $192
TSUGARU SHMISEN $240 → $192
SHAKUHACHI $240 → $192
SHO $240 → $192
KABUKI & NOH PERCUSSION 96k Master Edition $320 → $256"
Thank you! Super like this. Jumping on the percussion! Any other recommendations?

Wow, thanks for the heads-up! I'm probably going to buy the Koto, as it does indeed go beyond what ISW did with their now-old (yet best-in-class for many years) Koto Nation.

So far, I can't see mention of release samples, which was one big complaint about Koto Nation, but the three mics, 26 articulations, and 28 scales, are selling points on their own.

I may pick up some of their other stuff as well, including the percussion, which I gave up when I made a bundle of my BFD stuff to sell earlier this year. I didn't realize the Kontakt version is now available.

Last edited:
I changed my mind; every product sounds hyper-aggressive in the audio demos. Maybe I just don't like Japanese instruments when they're at their most authentic? I may still consider the Koto if it has release samples and if further comparison indicates it has more authenticity of articulations than Koto Nation, but I MUCH prefer the sound of the latter, and the same is true of the other instruments from Sonica when comparing audio demos to what I already own by other developers. Super high prices!

Top Bottom