What's new

List of all libraries that allow true division and divisi writing.

Sears Poncho

I thought they were called divisions when talking about brass and woodwinds.
I don't recall ever hearing a conductor or anyone for that matter use the word "divisi" or divisions etc when dealing with any section except strings. Flute 1, Flute 2 etc. Maybe in band, I really don't know.

"Celli are divisi at measure 46".
"Trumpets are divisi at measure 46".

Never heard the latter before.

bryla

That's not true. Divisi can apply to winds and brass as well. For example, in a wind ensemble, take a flute part that's played by a section. When a single note is written, everyone plays unison. When 2 notes are written, divisi is added.
Interesting. Do you have a score example where the word divisi or abbreviation div. is used for winds?

SimonCharlesHanna

This is what I am aware of so far. (Updated from comments)

Strings:

- La Scoring Strings

- NI Symphony Series Strings (Auto Divisi)

- VSL Dimension Strings

- Sample Modeling Strings

- QL Hollywood Strings

- Kirk Hunter Concert Strings

- Afflatus Strings (Auto Divisi)

- Spitfire Studio Strings *Professional

Brass:

- Berlin Brass

- Infinity Brass

- Modern scoring Brass

- Chris Hein Brass

- QL Hollywood Brass

- Sample Modeling Brass

- VSL Dimension Brass

Woodwinds:

- Berlin Woodwinds

- Infinity Woodwinds

- VSL Woodwinds

Choir:

- Genesis Children Choir

—————————————

If anyone is aware of any others feel free to add.
Strezov's Arva, Wotan and Freya have true part writing abilities (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass + Soprano Boys, Soprano Girls, Alto Boys, Alto Girls)

Last edited:

muk

@Sears Poncho is right as far as classical terminology goes. The term 'divisi' is only ever applied to strings. However, I think it is pretty clear what is meant in this context for the winds. In our context it applies to libraries that don't have one player recorded per instrument (i. e. not only one flute, and a flute a due-patch), but the number of players needed in a standard orchestra (i. e. two separate flutes, two clarinets etc.). Only few libraries actually have that, instead of the much more common one player plus a due-patches.

So Hollywood Brass does not qualify. It has the standard approach of only one solo horn (and then a2, a6 patches etc.). But it does not feature two (or even four) separate solo horns, like Modern Scoring Brass and Berlin Brass do. So no, Hollywood Brass does not belong on that list.

Hollywood Strings should get some kind of marker that it is not true divisi (they didn't record two separate half section). Instead it is the full section playing, but recorded in a way that captures one half more prominently than the other, thus sounding smaller.

(As a sidenote, I think it's Eastwest Hollywood Strings, not Quantum Leap Hollywood Strings.)

Finally, VSL Woodwinds are a borderline case. The normal VSL Woodwinds library is not 'divisi' in the way we are using the term here. They only include one player per instrument. However, you can buy additional single instruments for clarinet (called 'Clarinet in Bb ') and the bassoon ('called Bassoon 2'). So, for clarinet and bassoon you can have 'divisi' if you buy these additional instruments. But for the flute and the oboe you can't. So it can do 'divisi' for half of the instruments. For the other half it can't. (If you count doubling instruments like piccolo, then the term 'divisi' becomes meaningless in our context, as almost every single woodwind library includes these. They are separate instruments, and divisi only applies within the confines of identical instruments).

Dominik Raab

Wasn't aware of that, that's extremely interesting. I prefer separate patches over auto divisions, will definitely be checking this out.
My apologies, the horns are actually solo, two and six. No "3 horns" patches like I originally claimed. You can, of course, still get the sound of three horns by playing solo and 2FH simultaneously.

The only thing I don't like about HB is that there's no individually sampled bass trombone; it's in the "2TB+Bass Trombone" patch. They do have a solo cimbasso, though.

JT

Interesting. Do you have a score example where the word divisi or abbreviation div. is used for winds?
I work as an engraver for various US music publishers. We use it all the time in wind ensembles.

The basic guideline that we follow is: if we have a staff in the score named Flutes 1 & 2, we don't use the word divisi, but we use a2 on any section where only a single note is played.

But if the staff is just named Flute, then we use divisi and unison where appropriate.

Someone else mentioned not ever seeing a3 being used. This example was from a piece of Eric Whitacre that I engraved. It's a staff for clarinets 1, 2, 3. There wasn't enough vertical space to use 3 separate staves, so I combined them and used a3. From this piece.

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.02.56 AM.png

Last edited:

ZeeCount

Finally, VSL Woodwinds are a borderline case. The normal VSL Woodwinds library is not 'divisi' in the way we are using the term here. They only include one player per instrument. However, you can buy additional single instruments for clarinet (called 'Clarinet in Bb ') and the bassoon ('called Bassoon 2'). So, for clarinet and bassoon you can have 'divisi' if you buy these additional instruments. But for the flute and the oboe you can't. So it can do 'divisi' for half of the instruments. For the other half it can't. (If you count doubling instruments like piccolo, then the term 'divisi' becomes meaningless in our context, as almost every single woodwind library includes these. They are separate instruments, and divisi only applies within the confines of identical instruments).
VSL also offers a 2nd Flute in the Woodwinds II set, and you can use the viennese oboe and french oboes as oboe 1 and oboe 2.

paulwr

You can add Spitfire Studio Strings Professional to the list.
If only they at least has the slides in the smaller groups. I keep going back to LASS after buying Studio Strings Pro. I'm going to contact Spitfire again to check since when I first got Pro and I called about the missing slides they told me they had recorded them and would add it later. But no hint about that since, I hope it is true. I expected it to be a "modernized LASS" but was sorely disappointed. I read the articulations lists much more closely now!

David Cuny

Summer, we hardly knew ye.
Kirk Hunter Pop Rock Strings has a "DivisiLive" option, which will automatically subdivide sections when they are given more notes.

Top Bottom