1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Light and Sound - Concert Grand, 7 days left on introductory offer $99!

Discussion in 'COMMERCIAL Announcements' started by Light and Sound, Mar 28, 2018.

1. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    OK, here's some simple solo playing using the p.Rear + p.Front mics + the mono Under mic. No internal or external reverb, just some mild compression on the master output in Logic.

Attached Files:

JW, germancomponist, tmhuud and 4 others like this.
  2. CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    And a screen shot of the settings I used:
    L&S_Concert Grand Close Settings.png

Garlu and chasmanian like this.
  3. CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Noticed that the Rear mic is panned right & Front mic panned left by default, so here's the same playing with the Front mic panned 3 o'clock & the Rear mic panned 9 o'clock. (similar to a 'player' perspective):

Attached Files:

4. keepitsimple

keepitsimple www.rabihrihana.com

May 8, 2017
    Light and Sound Mics.JPG You can see the layout of all microphones with the image i attached. The "under" microphone is good as complimentary to the other mics if you want more body to that bass. It's recommended to set the slider around the middle (more or less).

CGR likes this.
  5. Garlu

Garlu Senior Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Valencia, Spain
    Oh my... I thought I was set with piano libraries...! :faint:

CGR likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Light and Sound

Light and Sound Developer

Feb 25, 2016
    Ireland

Here's the naked version of 3:20am by Craig Richards, raw Piano :)

7. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Still waiting for those reviews....

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 10:08 AM
  8. slobajudge

slobajudge Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Well, I have all big names in VST piano world and lots of small ones, also I am a big fan of Pianoteq which I love very much. When I bought this piano from Light and sound it is a first time when I felt that I don`t need anything else. Far from technically perfect, but it is a Steinway finally. After so many Steinways vst, this is a first where I finally hear acoustic piano and not some processed wav files. Garritan CFX is probably the most sweetest and technically perfect sample piano. After 5 minutes of playing CFX I was start to thinking what to order next. Pianoteq is another world. Almost digital perfection. Everything is working. I love it. But in the sample world after this piano it is hard to imagine more authentic and so much character in sample piano. But thats me. Use discount if still apply and go for it and see for yourself.

germancomponist and axb312 like this.
  9. VinRice

VinRice ... i am a robot ...

May 20, 2017
    The UK of Englandshire
  10. slobajudge

slobajudge Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Agree, I send a mail to Light and sound about middle C, this is the only key I wish to change. They say that it is a part of his character and they do not want to change that and they explain to me how to do it in scripting if I am not satisfied. My intention was to move-expand low velocity middle C sound sample which is fine, to go more up to high velocity to avoid early trigger of this weird sound sample in middle velocity except when I play really loud. But after some posts in Piano world forum I think that Light and sound prepare new second big update for this piano and they will change some things. First update to 1.14 is very good. No matter middle C I will still order this piano again. I love it.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 11:22 AM
  11. richard kurek

richard kurek Member

Jul 28, 2017
    yes i agree , lets correct this and keep this library on top

slobajudge likes this.
  12. axb312

axb312 Senior Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Read the pianoworld stuff. Was a little unclear to me. Do they agree it is a great piano or not? Can it be compared to or does it surpass the CFX or not...?

13. slobajudge

slobajudge Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Garritan cfx have so much love in Piano world forum. I agree that it is an excellent piano almost perfect sample piano. I dont think that many users in Piano world forum order LSCG yet, but some users obviously love it. I delete my Garritan CFX from laptop after Light and sound concert grand. CFX is just boring compare to LS Steinway C, this piano is more alive and lets say more imperfect, more like piano. Beauty lies in small details. There is no way to help you more then this to decide. You must jump on one or the other or both to bring your conclusions. Better both, because you will do this anyway.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 12:12 PM
  14. Gerbil

Gerbil Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I'm afraid I have to disagree. I do like the LS but it has a few flaws that still need ironing out (notes flying around the stereo field, the aforementioned middle C etc) and suffers, like so many other sampled pianos, from needing to be tweaked depending on the style and manner of the music that you're playing. For instance, the Chopin Eb Nocturne demo sound is very nice but the second you start trying to play some leggiero staccato passagework it sounds like its been recorded in a kitchen. You can choose other mics that will work a lot better but then you loose the richness of the above sound. Rabih Rihana's demo kind of demonstrates it: The smoother, legato passages sound terrific but the heavy staccato passage sound almost like max velocity on a clavinova to me.

This is not to say that I dislike the piano; I very much enjoy playing it and it can do many things well and for the price it's a steal; I'd definitely buy it again. But it does seem to have limitations and there are quite a few mic combinations that I find a bit wearing on the ear after a while. Again this is something that I find with many sampled pianos.

I'd love for someone to produce a classical demo that can demonstrate real flexibility in a single work but that takes better engineering chops than I have. There aren't many pianos that can really do it. The old Garritan Steinway was very good in its time but sadly abandoned (I wish their team would have another go at a Steinway D). The Vintage D is pretty good as well.

The CFX is a Yamaha and less colourful than a Steinway but I find it immediately much more flexible. You can go from beautiful pianissimo bell-like tones to furious percussive staccato/marcato passages and everything in-between without having to compromise. I can play a concerto movement on it and not feel like I need to switch presets. For me it's still the standard to beat.

15. chasmanian

chasmanian Senior Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Hi slobajudge,
    I am thinking about getting LSCG.
    I have CFX.
    And I have Pianoteq Standard Steinway models B and D, Grotrian, Bluethner, K2 and YC5.

Would you please possibly have any thoughts about me getting LSCG, even though I have all those Pianoteq instrument packs?

16. slobajudge

slobajudge Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    You said everything that I said also but with more words. Where is disagree ? :) It is far from perfect like I said and you also but it is so cute to play isn`t it ? Almost like infection :)

17. slobajudge

slobajudge Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Hmm, I was in the same boat like you, but all those instruments doesn`t help me much with G.A.S. After LSCG I feel so much in balance with it :). If you feel the same then go for it. The truth is you don`t need it and the same is for me, but I have no regrets.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM
    chasmanian likes this.
  18. prodigalson

prodigalson Senior Member

Nov 14, 2013
    guys, this is commercial announcement thread. Please don't mention competitors products.

chasmanian likes this.
  19. chasmanian

chasmanian Senior Member

Sep 14, 2016
    thank you very much.
    slobajudge I edited my post after reading prodigalson's post, and PM'ed you.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018 at 4:57 PM
  20. OP
    OP
    Light and Sound

Light and Sound Developer

Feb 25, 2016
    Ireland
    It's OK, when it comes to pianos especially, taste is everything and there's so many out there. Seeing everything in one place and everyone's thoughts/comparisons helps us gather feedback easier :)